I just got to share this with you, even though I am very much indifferent to the ongoings in the world championship, this series of photos caught my

Karibien

Senior Insider
Beautiful pictures of soccerfans!

I just got to share this with you,

even though I am very much indifferent to the ongoings in the world championship, this series of photos caught my attention. I love them!

http://www.vk.se/uploaded/document/2006/6/19/hejja.swf

A local newspaper photographer and journalist has followed the swedish fans and lived with them for four days, and today the paper published the result.
Scene: A camp site in a small village 30 kilometers outside Hamburg.
Time: The days before, during, after the match Sweden - Trinidad/Tobago
Participants: Soccerfans who travelled from all parts of Sweden. There are families with children and groups of young men, there are fans that back home are bitter enemies but here drinks and sings together, there are fans that have saved up money and quit their jobs to get here. From Pite

Re: Beautiful pictures of soccerfans!

K/
Amazing images!

Sweden-flag.jpg

yeah, amazing they are

and hooligans is really not a word that comes to mind when you see them either...

Yup. Lot's of beer and sun, happy people, inspired people. And from the sidelines, a bit hesitant people.

The article in the paper told the story of the fans. Of those, mostly young male, who devoted time and money to go. The story of fans - from the latin word fanaticus - as in inspired, fascinated, infatuated, raptured, obsessed...

The line between those inspired and those obsessed... And the journalist describes 400 men in great seriousness singing the national anthem with hateful emphasis, a blue/yellow van blasting music of white supremacy, a busload of fans screaming about the father land... It's sending chills down my spine just reading it. Being there, in Germany, seeing and hearing this must have been so much more frightning.

I wonder why we only see pictures of the inspired and not the obsessed in the photographic presentation. It is so important that we never ever forget what nationalism gone wrong can lead to. A picture says more than a thousand words, I wonder what this photographer could reveal in his pictures of obsession...

You should come to a Tail-gate party at Lincoln Financial Field when the Eagles are playing. Makes the soccer crowd look tame.

Makes yours look tame.

I believe that was what the photographer or the editor wanted. To show another side of fotball/soccer fans, not the standard newspaper pictures of hooliganism, vandalism, violence...

I think he is so good, he could have shown both sides

I noticed some very young fans enjoying what looked to be beer. What is the drinking age there?

A Dec. 30 article about alcohol use by young people in Europe and an accompanying chart incorrectly said that Switzerland's minimum drinking age is 14; it is 16. The chart also incorrectly said that Norway's minimum drinking age is 16; it is 18.
European Laws Place Emphasis On the Driving, Not the Drinking
Unlike in U.S., Age Limits Are Stressed Less Than Road Rules
By Keith B. Richburg
Washington Post Foreign Service
Thursday, December 30, 2004; Page A12

PARIS -- The accident bore the familiar details of a drunk-driving tragedy. Six young people, age 16 to 20, had been out late at a club. On the long ride toward home early on a Saturday morning, their small car smashed into a bridge pillar, killing everyone. Witnesses said the driver, 20, appeared drunk as he left the club.

The Nov. 20 accident in Sausheim, a town in eastern France, shocked people across the country. But in a society in which the legal drinking age is 16, the resulting public debate focused not on how to keep alcohol from young people, but on how to enforce highway rules more strictly and crack down on errant drivers. News coverage took particular note that the driver had no license or insurance.

That response underscored a fundamental difference between U.S. and European approaches to drunk driving among young people: Americans have raised the drinking age to 21; Europeans keep it low but put faith in stiff rules and regulations.

While most European countries issue driver's licenses at age 18, the difficulty of passing the test, high insurance costs and wide use of trains and buses all mean that young people generally begin to drive much later than in the United States.

"They start drinking at 16, but they cannot drive until they are 18," said Florence Berteletti Kemp, a communications officer in Brussels for Eurocare, a private group that campaigns to reduce Europeans' alcohol consumption. "I think in the U.S., there is an expectation to have your own car. It's not that young people in Europe are more careful. It's that they haven't got the car."

Twenty years ago, the United States raised the drinking age in all 50 states and the District of Columbia to 21. President Ronald Reagan signed the bill into law in July 1984, making the United States the only country with such a high legal drinking age. In Europe, by contrast, most countries allow people to buy beer and wine at 16. In many places, such as France, drinking starts much earlier, with parents giving their children small amounts of wine at holiday celebrations. Switzerland allows drinking at age 14, and Poland and Portugal have no minimum drinking age.

At the same time, most European countries have in recent years cracked down on drunk driving and on speeding, which Europeans typically consider the far larger problem of the two.

In France, for example, Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin recently ordered a road safety campaign to bring down the number of road fatalities -- long one of the highest in Europe.

Radar units are being installed on highways -- a total of 560 are due by the end of the year -- and police are running sobriety checkpoints. The campaign has cut the number of traffic deaths this year by a fifth, to 5,731, according to government figures.

While the crackdown has led to a decrease in drinking and driving incidents, a side effect has been a decline in restaurant sales of wine. Winemakers recently held protests around the country seeking government compensation for their diminished sales.

Direct comparison of accident and drinking statistics from the United States and Europe is problematic, because there is no common database and because countries compile and interpret the figures in different ways. What is known is that in the 15 countries that made up the European Union before this year's eastward expansion, traffic accidents killed about 40,000 people each year. About a quarter of those deaths were believed to be alcohol-related.

Statistics suggest that younger drivers are most likely to be involved in alcohol-related traffic accidents, but the problem is most severe among drivers in their early to mid-twenties. Drivers in the 18-to-21 age range have a slightly lower rate.

A study by Eurocare's Institute of Alcohol Studies showed that in Britain, 52 percent of convicted drunk drivers are under age 33. But the highest rate of alcohol-related accidents occurs among men age 20 to 24, with a lower rate for drivers younger than that. In Germany, the pattern is the same: Drivers from 21 to 24 have a higher rate of alcohol-related accidents than drivers from 18 to 20, according to the German Center on Addiction Problems.

It has become accepted wisdom in the United States over two decades that raising the drinking age has reduced alcohol-related traffic deaths. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration estimates the number of lives saved since 1975 at 23,000. Alcohol remains a leading cause of traffic deaths for young people. Nearly a third of the 3,657 drivers age 15 to 20 who died in car crashes in 2003 had been drinking, the agency found.

But in Europe, where drinking wine with a meal or having a pint at a pub is a deeply ingrained tradition, the counterargument is that allowing young people to drink earlier helps demystify alcohol and reduce any later tendency to drink to excess and create situations in which traffic fatalities often occur.

"In France, you are not forbidden to drink alcohol even if you are younger than 18," said Emilie Leroux, 20, a communications student in Paris. "So the time you drink is when you are coming into adolescence, like 15. Afterward, you get more calm, and maybe more clever" about drinking. "This is how we do it in France."

Leroux said the pattern among her friends is for someone at a party or club to be the designated driver, who does not drink and drives everyone else home. Also, she said, young people who have been drinking will wait an hour or more before driving, and eat some food. "We eat bread or biscuits or cakes to absorb it," she said. "We are very responsible in France."

If custom helps demystify drinking, the law serves as a deterrent. Strict drunk-driving ordinances can lead to an immediate license suspension, with scant legal recourse, and many countries have reduced the level at which a person is considered to be intoxicated. Several young people interviewed said they were afraid to drive after consuming just one drink for fear of the legal repercussions.

Not everyone is deterred, though. Anouk, 20, a communications student who spoke on condition her last name not be used, said she often drove after a night of drinking, because she lives in the outer suburbs and has no other way to get home. "I just pay extra attention. And I go really slowly," she said.

Debate continues in France about how to police the roads more strictly and perhaps regulate nightclubs and other places where young people gather.

Two recent violent incidents on Paris's famed avenue Champs-Elysees -- the shooting of a nightclub guard and the fatal stabbing of another man -- have led one local official to propose an earlier closing time for places that sell alcohol. There have also been calls for clubs to cut off alcohol sales before their closing times to give customers several alcohol-free hours before they head out to the parking lots.

Though many Europeans feel that they learn responsible drinking habits at an early age, some experts see a trend emerging that could challenge that assumption and drive up the number of traffic accidents: an increase in binge drinking -- consuming as much alcohol as possible in a short time -- by young people.

One culprit, according to anti-alcohol groups, is the new sweetened alcoholic beverages, similar to wine coolers and other mixed drinks in the United States, known as "alco-pops."

"Binge drinking is rising all across Europe," said Berteletti Kemp of Eurocare. She blamed "the marketing of these new products that don't look like alcohol and don't taste like alcohol. It's the alco-pop culture." She added, "Adults don't drink these things -- it's young people."

Among other proposals, Eurocare advocates uniform blood-alcohol concentration limits and uniform penalties across the European Union, with lower blood-alcohol concentration limits for young drivers.

It remains unknown what caused the crash at the Sausheim bridge that claimed the lives of the six young people, and whether binge drinking or excessive speed was the primary culprit. The fact that the driver had no license focused attention on another problem: At least 800,000 people are believed to be driving in France without licenses. One suggested solution is to lower the cost of a license so more young people can learn to drive and can afford to do so legally.

Special correspondent Alexandra Topping contributed to this report.

I noticed some very young fans enjoying what looked to be beer. What is the drinking age there?

sorry for the late response, I've been indisposed, taking a nap :)

We do not really have laws on drinking age but on buying age.

The legal drinking age here is 18 - if the drinker buys hers/his drink at a bar, restaurant or other establishment that has a permit to serve alcohol

The legal drinking age for drinking alchohol everyplace else - after buying it in one of the stateown stores Systembolaget is 20.

Drinking the stuff if someone else bought it for you is not illegal - but to buy with the purpose of giving/selling it to someone under age is illegal

As always, laws doesn't stop everybody from doing what they shouldn't

And remember kids: Stay tuned each week for your secret message. Once you collect all the secret messages, you too can get an Island Visitor Decoder Ring to be able to see the invisible writing!

Till next time, happy tails to you...

Very interesting article, JEK!

In Sweden we have very strict laws on drunk driving. It is absolutly not possible to drink, wait an hour, have some cake, and then drive legally. (Where did that girl get her education?!)

The tolerance on alcohol level in the blood is only 0.2 per mille (per thousand?). That means if you have one glass of wine, one beer, one drink - you let the car stay or have someone else drive. That also means that when you have been partying with a predinner cocktail, wine with the meal, and drinks, wine or beer later - you leave the car the next day too!

For people in my age, or say 30-something and up, this is not only the law, it is also the common moral understanding. To drink and drive is tabu. Anyone getting caught at it is presumed to have a drinking problem because there is just no other accepteble explanation.

This is, however, not really the case with younger Swedes. A more liberal attitude to alcohol in general, and to alcohol and driving in particular, seems to spread from god knows where.

In combination to the more liberal view on drunk driving, we also have the merging of the "traditional" binge drinking of the vodka belt (no drinking during the weeks, getting blasted on weekends) and the wine belt culture (tipsing wine after work or with dinner during the whole week). So now we are sipping on the new glass of wine at Tuesday dinner, slurping Guiness at the local pub after work Wednesday, go to the Happy hour club Thursday, and then do some serious barhopping on Friday and Saturday... I guess there just can't be many designated drivers left unintoxicated with that busy schedule...

I do banter about it, but in all honesty, it scares me

No offense Karibean, but with a bunch of nubile young swedish ladies popping in and out of the sauna, why even bother to drink?

Life est good, ja Sven?

I love it when he speaks :) Time for my language course - nubile I had to look up - I missed that in all the IV-less weeks

The popping in and out of saunas is mostly practised in Finland and the northern part of Sweden. The southernerns don't get the deal with the sauna at all, keeping it way too cool. It supposed to be hot as h-ll, to the point where you get goose bumps on your arms. Getting out of the steamy sauna, you will be dripping water and sweat, you will be red as a lobster, your blood pressure will go nuts, and your yearnings would probably be aimed at getting yourself a cool shower. Drinks and women/men, nubile or otherwise, will not be top priority ;)

Livet

BTW - the <font color="white"> secret </font> message is revealed by a click and a swipe with your mouse...

Well there it is. I guess I can cancel the order for the ten thousand decoder rings.

BTW, the color wasn't <font color="white"> white </font>.

It was <font color="beige">beige </font>.

I think I like <font color="lightgrey"> light grey </font> better

More colors for you to try. Select the ? and fill in with whatever rocks your boat.

Like <font color="thistle">thistle </font>

C O L O R S