Father's DayFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaFather's Day is a holiday to celebrate fatherhood and parenting by males, just as Mother's Day celebr

JEK

Senior Insider
Happy Father's Day to . . .

Father's Day
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Father's Day is a holiday to celebrate fatherhood and parenting by males, just as Mother's Day celebrates motherhood. Typically giving gifts to fathers and celebrating as a family is the main event of the day.
Father's Day exists almost all over the world to honor and commemorate fathers or forefathers.

Date

Countries that observe Father's Day on the third Sunday of June include Argentina, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, France, Hong Kong S.A.R., India, Pakistan, Ireland, Japan, Macao S.A.R., Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, the Netherlands, Peru, the Philippines, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Venezuela.
ccdcastleb.jpg

Re: Happy Father's Day to . . .

Happy Father's Day to all

Here in Sweden we celebrate Father's Day since 1931. In the beginning we also did it in June, but at the request of a Nordic trade organization, Father's Day was moved to November for reasons of not having Mother's Day and Father's Day so close in time. Only Denmark kept June. According to Swedish Wikipedia, Brazil celebrates Father's Day in August, and Australia in September.

My dad will just have to wait a bit... to get his Pictura-card... but not to know that I love him and cherish his friendship, advise and guidance, that I tell him more than once a year!

To all the Fathers out there- have a very HAPPY FATHER'S DAY- and to all the Grandfathers- moi- it's a double day.

Countries with other celebration dates:
Austria: second Sunday of June
Australia: first Sunday of September
Belgium: St Joseph's day (March 19), and the second Sunday of June (Secular)
Brazil: second Sunday of August
Bulgaria: June 20
Denmark: June 5 (also Constitution Day)
Dominican Republic: last Sunday of July
Estonia: second Sunday of November
Finland: second Sunday of November
Germany: Ascension Day
Italy: March 19
Lithuania: first Sunday of June
New Zealand: first Sunday of September
Norway: second Sunday of November
Poland: June 23
Portugal: March 19
Russia: February 23 (Defender of the Fatherland Day, a military holiday, seen by many as a men's day)
South Korea: May 8 (Parents' Day)
Spain: March 19
Sweden: second Sunday of November
Thailand: December 5 (birthday of King Bhumibol Adulyadej)
Taiwan: August 8

who can tell me why spain celebrates Father's Day on march 19th? I know the answer but curious if there are any scholars out there that know.

hmm, I could not resist the test of my research abilities

According to encyclopedia britannica
Some Roman Catholics have continued to observe the feast day of Saint Joseph, on March 19, as a tribute to fathers. Joseph is in the New Testament, Jesus' earthly father, the Virgin Mary's husband, and in Roman Catholicism patron of the universal church.

Or is the more important reason to add festivities to the festival in Valencia, Las Fallas?

Hi Karibien

You are correct - Father's day in Spain coincides with the day of St. Joseph.
The fallas in Valencia are a lot of fun but it is a local event so I don't think Father's Day on the 19th of march has any connection.

have a great weekend
Georgedp