World Cup!!!!!!!!!

BAC

SBH Insider
Its time, its time, its time!!!!!!!!!!! Other than college basketball playoffs and on par with NFL playoffs ( at least to me) the World Cup is my favorite sports event. I will be in France in the middle of the Cup and will be able to watch real time multiple matches.

I am concerned about security and the near recent rise of the neo-nazis and other racist groups. Clearly I won't be able to proudly wear my colors and my cheers will be muffled, providing the USA can score some goals, which always concerns me.

Hopefully we can make it to the second reound and make some noise for a change.

WOW- somebody here likes soccer?? Have a good time:
"The United States warned key ally Germany on Monday that it should do more to stop a tide of sex workers arriving for this month's soccer World Cup, and accused 12 nations of failing to do enough to stop the modern-day slave trade in prostitutes, child sex workers and forced laborers.

More power to you if you are a soccer fan. Go for it and have a great time.

But please explain why the advertising for the World Cup makes it sound like a peace summit instead of an athletic competition. The ads I'm hearing and seeing promote soccer as bringing world peace, for God's sake! Hey, it's a game. Why not promote it as such and then maybe, probably not but maybe, more than a handful of folks in the U.S. will want to watch it.

yeah sure...why not??..it will probably be the only score in the game....then they can go back to kicking the ball back and forth in the middle of the field, until the game is over....LOL

<<<yeah sure...why not??..it will probably be the only score in the game>>>

article recently in the NY times about how some of the best soccer games ever played were 0-0 ties...

HUH?

Re: World Cup!!!!!!!!!Stanley Cup

Well.... since all of you like low scoring contests what about hockey?
Seriously was that match a gift for Carolina last nite or what?

We live in a country where the two most popular spectator sports involve driving in a circle and, hitting a little ball, into a little hole, on a lawn. At least soccer players are athletes.

Re: World Cup!!!!!!!!!Stanley Cup

Well.... since all of you like low scoring contests what about hockey?

its not so much about goals as it is about shots on goal...and if you compare shots on goal in hockey, to shots on goal in soccer.. you will see...there is no comparison

We live in a country where the two most popular spectator sports involve driving in a circle and, hitting a little ball, into a little hole, on a lawn. At least soccer players are athletes.

I think the NFL..and the NCAA Big Dance kill both of them in terms of numbers of viewers and overall interest...I'll give you this..soccer players are good cardio athletes....but when I have tryouts in November for hoops...I can spot the soccer players a mile away....they are generally the ones who dont like a whole lot of contact and would rather shoot from the outside, then take it strong to the hole....not all...but most....on the bright side our "Soccer Mom" line of T Shirts are huge sellers...although I'm stll trying to convince the manufacturer to do an X rated Soccer Mom T shirt...which could then lead to a soccer mom movie..etc etc..LOL

Mike
I watch NCAA hoops and the NFL. Overall, though, viewership for NASCAR beats 'em both. Merchandising, too. I don't get it, either. Watching cars go in circles? If I wanted to do that, I'd take a chair to the Beltway, around DC...
And golf- a game, not a sport.
As for soccer, I'm not really a fan. I had a friend who won a few championships with DCUnited. Great athlete. Those guys can run for days.

Yikes Eddie! How could you include Nascar, golf and soccer in the same breath??? What slander!!

Maybe I'm bothered because I'm getting to the age where golf is starting to feel like exercise. Plus, we are big fans of the LPGA. And we St. Louis kids grew up playing soccer in the late 50s and 60s (couldn't afford football uniforms -- good for us) and I still think it's a wonderful, even elegant sport.

Noel- I wasn't putting soccer down. It's a real sport, played by real athletes. I agree, it can be elegant. NASCAR and golf, on the other hand....

Noel- I wasn't putting soccer down. It's a real sport, played by real athletes. I agree, it can be elegant. NASCAR and golf, on the other hand....

I can't speak about golf, I don't play it - the only shooting irons I own shoot bullets LOL. But, NASCAR? Driving for several hours at upto 200 MPH in close proximity on a hot day, with your competitors bumping you and harassing you, no A/C in your car, crashes up the wazoo, a lot of concentration to keep from crashing, a lot of effort to control your race car, Maybe it ain't a classy sport but it sure ain't golf. I find it a lot more exciting to watch than some of the other racing sports like Formula 1 and Grand Prix.