The Oriskany, a decommissioned aircraft carrier, was sunk 24 miles off the coast of Pensacola, Fla., on May 17 to form an artificial reef.The sinking

JEK

Senior Insider
Sinking of the Oriskany 17-May-2006

The Oriskany, a decommissioned aircraft carrier, was sunk 24 miles off the coast of Pensacola, Fla., on May 17 to form an artificial reef.

The sinking of the 888-foot ship took 37 minutes

The SMALL BOAT on the deck of carrier contains a generator and electronics to set off the explosions. It was designed so this small boat would float free after the carrier sunk!

Images of the sinking

Re: Sinking of the Oriskany 17-May-2006

already planning a dive trip for the Fall...kinda deep to the keel, but the superstructure is at about 80 ft or so, and I think 100+ to the flite deck.
Having done the Spiegel Grove, these big suckers are FUN to play around..

Re: Update and underwater Oriskany 17-May-2006

Fred...have you done any of the hundreds of shipwrecks in your area???....the Stoldt Dagali is a good one....and there is huge Greek ship just a little bit southeast of Ambrose Light that is a good one too

<<<have you done any of the hundreds of shipwrecks in your area???....>>>

no freakin way, Mike...I have no desire to don a 5 mil wet suit with gloves and a hood and dive in 10 ft vis in 50 degree water....
I did my first certification dive (the 2nd time around...was first certified @ 17, but had no $$ to go anywhere) in the rockaways...they took us down about 15 ft and hung us on a phone cable as thick as my wrist...i had other divers to my right and left, on the cable...could touch shoulders, couldn't SEE them.
uh-oh, I'm a caribbean/fla warm water pretty fish guy from the jump....LOL

yeah I hear ya....I agree...but when I was much younger, if the weather was nice, and the vis was reported to be good....I went......wouldnt do it today for love or money