Getting down to business....

Cheri

Senior Insider
I thought it was a great AI night with Elvis tonight. Even though I think Katherine is a singing doll, I think it will be her going home tomorrow.

Cheri, I'm hoping it's Taylor going home although I didn't think Katherine was herself tonight...Elliott was "da bomb" though and Chris still rocks for sure.

bev

I started out really liking Chris. He does have a very strong voice. But there's something I don't like there now...he doesn't smile enough and he seems to try too hard. I know Taylor is somewhat goofy but I like him a lot. I think he is genuine. Elliot is just an awesome singer although not great to look at. So, the other three are all very good but unfortunately I think it highly possible that Chris might win because he would probably be the most marketable.

I too am predicting that Katherine goes home tonight(maybe that in itself will save her). I'll be sorry to see her go since looking at the others does nothing for me. I still can't figure the attraction for Taylor.

We Watch ... So You Don't Have To

We Watch ... So You Don't Have To
By Lisa de Moraes
Wednesday, May 10, 2006; C01

Goin' to Graceland Night on "American Idol."

The four remaining Idolettes travel to Elvis shrine and are greeted by Priscilla Presley, the ex-wife with the frighteningly repurposed face, and Tommy Mottola, who will coach them on how to sing Elvis songs because Elvis inspired him to get into the music industry, we're told.

Unbeknown to the Idolettes, show judges Huey, Dewey and Screwy have, in a complete reversal of policy, decided it's Katharine McPhee's week to get the boot and Elliott Yamin must survive.

Dressed in a red-striped zoot suit, Taylor Hicks gives a family cruise ship dinner entertainment rendition of "Jailhouse Rock" while doing his trademark crouching singer, hidden wacko moves.

Judges Huey and Screwy love it; Dewey says in the "real world" it was a terrible Elvis Impersonation and Karaoke with a capital K. Screwy gets all in his face and Dewey tells her "Shut up!" Show host Ryan Seacrest, who now looks like the love child of Tony Randall and Louis Jourdan, laughs at Dewey for claiming he has any idea what the "real world" is. This from the guy who dated Teri Hatcher for one day.

Chris Daughtry, acting all cool and arrogant, confides to Ryan that he gets lots of junk food and cologne and belt buckles from his zillions of fans with club names like the Chris-aholics and then tells the 30 million or so viewers that there is a "debate going on with all my fans" and "the answer is boxer briefs." Ryan is as repulsed as we are. Chris then sings "Suspicious Minds," which is possibly the worst Elvis song ever. He remembers to yank off his shades for the final notes so he can send his death-ray stare to the Chris-aholics at home.

Huey doesn't love it. Screwy, hypnotized by his death-ray eyes, says she'd forgotten how great the song was until he sang it. Dewey likes it, apart from the sunglasses. And Ryan teaches Chris that the word for boxer briefs is "hybrids."

Elliott gives another solid performance with "If I Could Dream." Huey pronounces it "hot." Screwy, fighting tears, calls it his best vocal performance this season. Dewey compliments Elliott on picking a non-cheesy Elvis song and agrees it's the night's best performance.

Katharine gives a desperate manic performance of "Hound Dog" and "All Shook Up" mashed together, doing her usual spastic jumping and leg kicking up behind her. Huey has no love for it. Screwy, so full of love after Elliott's performance, says the choreography was great, even though she, Screwy, used to be a choreographer of some note and knows better, at least when she's having a sane episode. Dewey calls it a desperate manic audition, like we said.

Round 2:

In an act of kindness to the millions of viewers at home, Mottola tells Taylor to knock off the crouching singer, hidden wacko thing and just sing his next song, "In the Ghetto." Amazingly, Taylor listens. Huey calls it hot and says to include the song in his first record. As if. Screwy says it shows he is well rounded. Dewey says he's just sung his way into the semi-finals. Hello, people -- it's "In the Ghetto"!

Chris goes low-key for "Little Less Conversation" until the end, when he starts doing his screaming-rocker thing, which Huey says saves it. We're done with Huey in this competition. Screwy adores it, and Chris. Dewey calls it flat, until the screaming part. Chris, like the true rocker star he already is, blows them off, saying he is being "true to Elvis." Apparently he missed Elvis in his "Clambake" days.

Elliott aces "Trouble," which Huey calls his best performance ever. Screwy, who'd been dancing like a top during the song, says she'd changed her mind and this was his best performance ever. Dewey gushes that Elliott came out fighting this week and "you deserve to go through to the next round" -- marking the first time Dewey has said two nice things to Elliott in a week.

Ryan says he feels obligated to give Screwy a dollar bill after her performance during Elliott's performance.

Dewey reprimands Ryan, saying "Don't be disrespectful" -- because telling a woman on national TV to "Shut up!" isn't disrespectful.

Katharine croons "Can't Help Falling in Love," only it is, as Dewey says, like apple pie with a gallon of cream on it. That's bad, by the way. But her blue two-piece outfit exposes her belly, so she wins.

Re: We Watch ... So You Don't Have To

Elliot has really come into his own the last few weeks. He just might pull a Kelly Clarkson and pull this off. Chris was excellent. Taylor, although not my favorite, did very well. Kat: Ugh, Kat, that just wasn't good. She may have blown it last night.

I will be in SBH next week. Going to have to find a tv.

From what I heard last night, Elliott and Chris were the top two....Katherine, while always being my first pick, screwed up the lyrics in one song and ran out of air in the other...her lack of confidence didn't help her either, so she may very well go tonight...Taylor just does nothing for me at all...I think it was a wise move for Tommy to tell him NOT to move around while he sang...he just isn't an AI to me, plus, I wasn't nuts about his performance, like the judges were....Elliott just kicked it with that last song....and Chris is the most consistent of the bunch...I think his personality is just that, serious, quiet, focused and he sings that way too...but I love his voice...should be an interesting contest after tonight...

bev

According to DialIdol.com, Elliot has the greatest amount of votes, followed closely by Taylor. Chris and Katherine are at the bottom and, with the margin of error, too close to call.

Ya know, I think in all fairness they should keep them all on for one more week and then have them sing Celine Dione or Barbara Striesand and see how the guys do with that. I think that might even the playing field just a tad.

I just watched a clip of Elliott. What happened to singing in tune?

Andy,
Surely it wasn't last night's clip...he was "on" last night...bev

I can't tell if they are on or off. They all sound good to me. They did have a clip of Elliott on AOL early this morning singing last nights tunes. Personally I'd vote Taylor off if I were choosing. Katherine had a disadvantage singing Elvis songs last night...and it could be her that leaves tonight.

Do you think that the producers "stacked the deck" for the men, since women have won all but one season?

Andy,

It was the AOL clip from last night and to my musical ears he was way off.

Re: We Watch ...It's a man's world (or not)

re:
Do you think that the producers "stacked the deck" for the men, since women have won all but one season?

fins85258: "Ya know, I think in all fairness they should keep them all on for one more week and then have them sing Celine Dione or Barbara Striesand and see how the guys do with that. I think that might even the playing field just a tad"

Big Mama Thornton did "Hound Dog" a few years before Elvis; she may have written it although Leiber and Stoller are credited. At any rate, her version shows what a woman can do with this song (IMHO better than the Elvis version) which is written more from a woman's than a man's perspective. Big Mama also recorded (and wrote) "Ball and Chain" which was later done by Janis in her Big Brother days. If interested, both can be found on itunes.

Elsie,

Katherine's body with Big Mama Thornton's voice, now that would be an AMERICAN IDOL!

Elsie,

Katherine's body with Big Mama Thornton's voice, now that would be an AMERICAN IDOL!

That might make one "wag your tail" as Big Mama would have said.....

Andy,

It was the AOL clip from last night and to my musical ears he was way off.

Andy, hope you're doing well. But that was probably Elliott's best night ever last night...even Simon said so. I also heard on the radio that Katherine and Chris were the ones in the danger zone tonight. I agree that Elliot could pull this thing off....probably much to the chagrin of Simon. I really wish Katherine would win but it looks like she is in trouble. If Chris would go tonight it would seem she would have a better shot. She just needs a good choreography coach....to show her how to shake it more gracefully. Other than that she has the package.

Oh man, what a surprise! I didn't expect Chris to go. I know he's not a favorite on this board, but I thought, based on her performace last night, Kat was going. Both she and Chris seemed surprised at the results, so I think Kat thought she was going, too.

At this point, any of them can have a successful carreer if they play the game. But with Chris gone, I think Elliott will be the winner.