Barbados Trip Report from DebTor

DebTor

Senior Insider
I don't know where to start ! Thanks to everyone who wished us bon voyage and to those who sent messages yesterday and today asking if the trip was everything we wanted it to be. The answer ? Yes...

We've been to Barbados at least 20 times. Our marriage sort of grew up and matured during those years. Our last trip was the November prior to the year I discovered I had cancer. That November trip was not good. I was ill and didn't know it. Just knew I wasn't feeling well. Then, the following February was St. Barts. A good trip, but again I wasn't well. May of that year I was diagnosed. Barbados had to be cancelled, but we were fortunate to be in St. Barts in February of the following year. After that, we missed several trips due to business woes and illness. To say the least, late last year and early this year have been quite the battle for both of us. I was nervous heading to Barbados, but we both felt we had to get away. The morning of the trip I was a bit shaky. Didn't know how I would be on a flight, etc.

The flight was wonderful. No gliches. When the plane doors opened and we exited, I will never forget the smell of that ocean.

The hotel - Coral Sands - was located on our favourite beaches which join to form one long gorgeous beach - Worthing Beach and Sandy Beach. It is the most beautiful length of beach I've seen in my travels and the water is amazing for swimming. Coral Sands was all that we expected it to be. A lovely small hotel located on the beach with lovely gardens and a great swimming pool. The room had two Queen sized beds, lots of room, a large bathroom plus a lovely kitchen to prepare our breakfasts. The patio was quite large and the view was stupendous. The staff were excellent and the Bajuns were as friendly and kind as always.

We didn't hire a car this time around which was surprising. But both Roger and I , when we talked about it, well, it just seemed like to much work :) We spent our mornings walking the beach. In the past, we would power walk the beach. This time, Roger power walked and I limped up and down the beach on my own. That was frustating for me, but the fact that I spent an hour doing it, made me happy. The hours between 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. were spent either in the shade at the hotel having lunch or some other restaurant. Late afternoon was another walk on the beach and then a retirement to the bar for a "few" drinks. The most difficult decision of the day was where to have dinner.

Barbados is similar to Grand Case on the French side of St. Martin in that their restaurants are excellent. I have still not had meals on St. Barts that have impressed me to the point where I would say they are the best. They aren't. The food in Barbados is fabulous. We had a leisurely lunch at a restaurant on the West Coast called Lone Star. A small boutique hotel. Unless you knew about it, you'd never go. The restaurant is located on the beach. Wine selection is excellent and the food ? Almost, just almost as good as Sand Bar. We had lunches at other spots, but this was memorable. As for dinner, too many to mention, but four stars go to The Cliff, Josefs and Restaurant on Southsea. If you want to know more about these restaurants, just let me know. One of our favourite meals was recommended to us by Robin, the bartender at Coral Sands (and yes, we became good friends with Robin !). Robin is Bajun and recommended Lobster Alive to us. Very small, located on a beach and frequented by the locals. We shared a lobster that could compete and win over the lobster we've had in St. Barts and even our East Coast lobster in Canada.

Okay, memorable moments:

Getting off the plane, smelling the sea air and not quite believing we were there. We had moments last year when we thought I was for the broth pot.

Arriving at Coral Sands, unpacking, standing on the patio and looking at the view. Roger putting his arms around me from behind, telling me he loved me and what was I thinking. I just shook my head because I couldn't speak. The tears were rolling down my face. He gave me some time alone.

Getting into a cab and recognizing Peter, a cab driver we've had many times over the years.

Visiting Salt Ash - a small apartment complex we stayed in for the first 10 yearly visits to Barbados and having Eddie, the bartender, stop what he was doing, yelling "Star !" (which is his nickname for me), giving me a huge hug and then looking at Roger and saying, "Hey Red. Where you been, man ?" And hugging him.

The first morning when I put on a swimsuit for the first time and having Roger ask what did I want to do first. Walk or a dip in the ocean. He never finished his sentence. I ran into the surf and plunged in and yelled to him "I'm here !"

Knowing that I could wear swimsuits, shorts, dresses and you'd never know I was wearing appliances.

Sitting at the bar every night with Kurt from New Jersey and his lovely wife, Joanne. Won't go into details other than he has been through hell and back like I have. Each night, when we received our first drink, we would look at each other across the bar and raise our glass and silently toast each other. We exchanged e-mail addresses. We want to keep up with each other's progress. Yet again, new friends made.

And the most memorable ? Knowing that even though there are still things I can't do with Roger and not knowing whether I'll ever be able to again, he didn't care. We just seemed to love each other more on this vacation. On June 5th we celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. Guess this marriage is going to last :))

It wasn't sad to come home. Home is home. I missed Irie Dog and since we arrived home last night, he has been my shadow. The front and back garden is lush, the weather today is absolutely gorgeous and I had breakfast on my back deck. When you have a good trip and know you have a good space to come home for, you can't feel sad. Barbados will be there for us next year just as St. Barts will be there when we arrive in February of next year.

I'd love to say I learned something more from this trip, but I can't think of learning anything more than I have over the past 4 years. I don't want to be maudlin or dramatic or drippy. But what I've learned was reinforced. Life is good. Love is good. Friends are good. Being in a good space is good. Like Kurt, he and I are worried about our futures. How long will they be, how will we fare with our health. But we've learned to carry on. To get on with it. To take what we can from our lives and to enjoy every bit of it. I didn't say goodbye to Barbados because we'll be back. I won't say goodbye to St. Barts in February because we'll be back. But if my life map doesn't make this possible, well, I'll be able to say I've had a good run for my money.

But I am going to be maudlin. Remember I said this to all of you before. Look at your partner, no matter what they are doing, no matter if they are wearing their sweats or dressed to the nines. Look at your partner and when they ask why you're looking at them that way, just tell them "No reason, I just love you."

Deb

great report Deb.......from the one day I spent there it looked like a very nice island....glad you were able to go there and enjoy it.....

Re: Barbados Trip Report from DebTor - P.S.

How could I forget to mention the best, the absolute best ? When we first arrived in Barbados over 20 years ago, we would buy our pineapples and bananas from an old Bajun lady. She had no teeth, small and wiry, and carried her wares on her head. Still don't know how they do that ! When we visited Salt Ash, I heard this voice say, "Lovely lady ! You want your pineapple ?" It was her. Apparently she is in her 80's and one of the Bajuns told us he remembered her doing this when he was a little boy. Can you believe that she recognized me ? I couldn't. She chose a pineapple for us. To see her slice that pineapple, peel it, quarter it with a huge knife amazes me. She wrapped it up, gave it to me and when we asked her how much she said it was a gift to a long time friend. We couldn't let her go without paying her so we tucked a little something into her pocket. That's what I miss about St. Barts. We can still buy fish from old men just off fishing boats that look like a small wave would splinter them. The women still walk with their wares on their head. You can still get the best coconut water from a vendor on the street. And no matter where you are in Barbados, no matter what time of day, the locals will smile at you, say "Good night" which is their way of saying hello and have the best day every. The women walk around with umbrellas during the heat of the day and when you see the families come out of church on Sundays dressed in vibrant colours and the women wearing beautiful hats ? Well, you want to throw manners to the wind and take photos. But you don't. And to spend a morning on the beach with all the locals picnicing and playing. Its magical.

Deb

What a nice report and obviously a wonderful trip. Glad to have you back AND know that the trip was refreshing and full of energy for you.

32 on 18 May for me! Et l'anniversaire de Lu est 5 Juin...nice company she has. Celebrate with new heights and do something special! Sounds like that relationship grew to new heights...congrats, not many can hold on to them.

Our Best.

Ric

Deb,
I have a lump in my throat. What a lovely report--you brought every scene to life. So happy for you & Roger that the trip was exceptional. Here's wishing there will be many more such sublime vacations in your future.
Julie

Deb, I have tears in my eyes. I'm really glad to hear that you had such a wonderful trip....because we all know after all you went through, how much you deserve it. You are a shining light.

Cheri

Wonderful trip report! Sounds like it was a great experience for you and Roger and your perspective made it special. My wife and I will be married 36 years soon and will be on Barbados in July. Thanks for sharing.

Josh: Two recommendations - definitely do lunch at Lone Star (need reservations) although perhaps you've been there and know of it and do Sunday brunch at The Fish Pond. Have a great trip.

Deb

Thanks, Deb. Barbados will be a new island for us. We'll definitely take your suggestions and trip report along with us.

Josh: Let me know where you're staying. Having been to Barbados so many times, I can send you a private message with a brief "do's and don'ts". Let me know.

Deb

Deb,
Thanks for a great report. Our first trip to the Caribbean was to Barbados and I know we will return sometime soon. I enjoyed being reminded about the beauty of the island and friendliness of the Bajans. Glad you had a great trip!

mb