• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

I need expert advice!!Hubby has decided that we are going to Anguilla late this month instead of SBH. We have been to SBH at least 1x a year for the

Re: Don't make me go to Anguilla!!!!

you call it "persuasion"...I call it the ol VW...and there is a bottle of wine to anyone who can tell me what VW stands for...LOL

...and is the second word "Whip"?

Velvet Whip....

....Runs to pack VW

Mike and Tim, keep the ideas coming. I know have to compensate for my case of extreme persuasion.

alright boys and girls...so as not to offend the word nazis or some unsuspecting readers who will think this is something related to St Barts...

I will explain VW downstairs......

ah yes ... thanks for that lovely stroll down memory lane when I was married to wife #2.....gee I wonder why it didnt work out???....LOL

MikeR,

With a menu of four wives from which to choose personality traits, I'll bet you could pick almost any attribute imaginable from that talented team. I'm just suprised, mon ami, that you haven't compared me to one of them. :)

3 Tim....3!!!!!!....there will never be a 4th.....bet the farm on that!!!...LOL

3 Tim....3!!!!!!....there will never be a 4th.....bet the farm on that!!!...LOL

MikeR,

Sorry for the error. I over(under?) estimated you.

The same story about attempted robbery and assault has been circulating for years about Anguilla.

The beaches are lovely, the people are friendly and there are lots of good options for reasonably-priced casual food. There are two great bakeries where you can get excellent baguettes, pastries and sandwiches. Otherwise, the food scene is pretty dismal for eating/cooking in. Restaurants for dinners are for the most part, quite good and fairly expensive, but no more expensive than anything on St. Barts. While it's true that there's "no shopping", that's one of the factors that draws us to the island. There are, however, many great galleries featuring local artists. There are also many lovely villas available for rent.

We also liked Anguilla. However, probably wouldn't want to spend more than 3-5 days there. Because even though the beaches are better (hate to admit that), the restaurants pretty much just as good, and there are many lovely hotels, St. Barth just has that french culture and the charm where Anguilla does not. And the driving around is not the experience that it is in St. Barth....in fact the flat terrain and unfinished houses make it seem more than a little dreary after awhile.

Because even though the beaches are better (hate to admit that)

I can think of a half dozen islands whose beachs blow away St Barts....South Caicos and St John immediately come to mind as well as Anguilla...but as you said...its the soul of St Barts and the culture which is the draw....but I liked Anguilla as well...just for different reasons

Restaurants for dinners are for the most part, quite good and fairly expensive, but no more expensive than anything on St. Barts.

On our trip this winter I noticed that practically all restaurants were adding +15% service charge on top of the already high prices. If you went to a more "local" restaurant, the prices were almost the same as for the top restaurants. Coleslaw(sp?) became a daily joke on the trip..

We visit several of the restaurants at the top resorts and sorry to say, they were rip-off and even back at home most mid-priced lunch restaurants can offer better food and service. At some resorts the athmosphere is also uncomfortable, you have the adults dressed up with jewerly at the better restaurant and kids eating pizza or something at the more casual restaurants with their nannies. How far from a Caribbean feeling can you get ;-)

When we moved to St. Barth after Anguilla, I'm pretty sure the prices were lower on St. Barth and we ate much better food, not to mention the service. However we don't go to the most fancy pants places there either, we leave that to home.

Anguilla may atract the americans but from European perspective, it's going downwards.

Don't get me wrong -- I love St. Barts and think of it as my dream island. But Anguilla has its own charms and beguiling ways. There has long been an American connection on Anguilla, that goes back to the early days of Jeremiah Gumbs, who lived in New Jersey for a while. In fact, when we first visited the island in the late 90's, the president of the chamber of commerce was a New Jersey woman who lived on the island half-time.

Coleslaw(sp?) became a daily joke on the trip..

Coleslaw is one of the reasons I went, as well as Branston pickle, marmite, salad cream, tikka masala sauce, poppadoms, Tetley tea bags, gravy, gherkins and a whole host of other English delicacies that can't be bought on St Barts.

The lady at Thrifty car rental had an East Anglian accent (owright moy luverr) and I haven't eaten jerk chicken with rice and peas since I left London.

The music is Reggae rather than Zouk (which I can't abide), which was a total pleasure...