• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

I need expert advice!!Hubby has decided that we are going to Anguilla late this month instead of SBH. We have been to SBH at least 1x a year for the

Tammwi

SBH Insider
Don't make me go to Anguilla!!!!

I need expert advice!!

Hubby has decided that we are going to Anguilla late this month instead of SBH. We have been to SBH at least 1x a year for the past 8. I have been to Anguilla on business one time and thought the island was fine but nothing compared to SBH.
Can someone give me some honest opinions about going to Anguilla? Should I shoot for a compromise and shoot for 5 days on AXA and 7 on SBH? Would the ferry be the best way to go between the two islands? I dont think my nerves could stand dealing with SXM airport more than 2x in one trip.

Thanks!!!

Re: Don't make me go to Anguilla!!!!

We've done the 50/50 Anguilla/SBH trip before and for us there was no comparison. It's SBH 100% and no Anguilla. If you take the winair flight from Anguilla to SBH or SBH to Anguilla the flights normally go via SXM but you don't get off the plane or go through all the SXM rigamarole - you stay on the plane, they load the other passengers and off you go. At least that's the way it was when we split our time between the two islands.

Also, there have been posts in this forum over the past couple of years about a crime problem on Anguilla which to me is additional impetus to choose SBH over AXA.

Just threaten your husband with divorce if he makes you go to Anguilla and he'll come around to seeing it your way LOL.

Just got back from Anguilla last week and it was frankly fabulous, however, as you say it isn't St Barts, and I went to get away from St Barts.

Anguilla is quiet, quiet, quiet...and frankly after day 4 I was starting to get twitchy, having kind of run out of things to see and do. Having finished my book, went out to buy another......no bookshop!

You can honestly tell your husband from me, that 5 days is more than enough to appreciate Anguilla. 12 days you will be crawling the walls.

I would strongly recommend the Koal Keel restaurant in the Valley. Expensive but worth it; However be aware that when they say they close at 9 it doesn't mean last service at 9....they turn off the lights.

The Anguilla ferry is easy...jump in a taxi to Marigot, pay the man and get on the boat. On the way back it is amusingly official, with security and immigration checks, the ticket woman will have no change, and you will be chastised for ignoring the departure tax person...Taxi to Chesterfield Marina, jump on the Rapid, couldn't be easier!

Saint Barth Commuter runs charters for around 500

Okay, I'll try...we spent 4 days on Anguilla and 7 on St Barths back in March. Stayed at Rendezvous Bay on the water and loved it. Quiet part of the island and walked the beach each day down to the Cuisinart for lunch or dinner.if needed. A car is necessary and the rates were good with Avis costing $140 for the 4 days. Loved touring the island and visiting the beaches Shoal Bay and Smitty's... nice but crowded at times with day trippers.Good places to eat abound on the island so that is not aconcern We flew Winair from AXA to SXM and then on to SBH. Ferry is nice but can be rough going from SXM to SBH.Ferrry from SXM to AXA was an easy 30 minute ride. Place shuts down mid day..On SBH we stayed at Petit Morne and loved it...the pace on SBH moves at a faster clip as you know, with more to do and if you are in to shopping more of that than on Anguilla. While we like both, SBH remains our favorite but Anquilla is worth a try if you want some quiet time..maybe.

Tammy~ I have also heard about an incident from friends of friends who went there. They were basically robbed while at their room by natives/men who had machetes and the young teenage daughter would have been sexually assaulted/raped had one of the other family members not unexpectedly shown up and startled them.

Obviously, this is being shared for you to use as you will to your advantage to get out of the Anguilla part of the trip.

You know what to do girl....you're on this forum right?

I was addicted to Anguilla before I found SBH, and like GrimmR, I always stayed at Rendezvous Bay. Once I found SBH, I have only been to Anguilla in combination with SBH.

12 days is way too long, even when I loved it, 12 days would have been too long-simply due to the seclusion. Anguilla has changed alot in the past 10 years, where our hotel room didn't have keys then, now you are encouraged to lock up everything. Along with development projects came the crime.

However, remember that crime is a possibilty everywhere. And the beaches in Anguilla are positively exquisite-they're almost neon. The people are wonderful, and I agree Koal Keel is worth it. I say GO-but in combination. I would hit Anguilla first to whet the appetite and then..........you gotta go to SBH. Also, we always fly.

it happens on most of the islands....for those who dont know this, here's a news flash...for the most part...the majority of them dont like us...its the whole haves and have nots thing....I know, I know, how can they possibly not like us??...we re such a lovable, humble and low maintenance group of tourists...LOL...but its true....its even very bad on the USVI as well..having lived there myself, I saw much crime against mainland Americans ...most of which went unreported...and as St Barts attracts more and more money and more and more North Americans....it too will eventually attract those who want to exploit them....its their natural migratory path.....and if I read some of the recent posts correctly, I can conclude its already starting

go to Anguilla for a few days..experience it for yourself...variety is the spice of life.

I need expert advice!!

Hubby has decided that we are going to Anguilla late this month instead of SBH. We have been to SBH at least 1x a year for the past 8. I have been to Anguilla on business one time and thought the island was fine but nothing compared to SBH.
Can someone give me some honest opinions about going to Anguilla? Should I shoot for a compromise and shoot for 5 days on AXA and 7 on SBH? Would the ferry be the best way to go between the two islands? I dont think my nerves could stand dealing with SXM airport more than 2x in one trip.

Thanks!!!

Tammwi,

I don't wish to overstate the obvious, but you sound like a highly intelligent woman. If it's your desire to go to St. Barth, I expect you know how to make that desire obvious.

As you may know, they are VERY different islands so a direct comparison is not really possible. It all depends on what you are looking for out of your vacation. Both islands have excellent restaurants, SBH has more but you'll also pay more. Both islands have beautiful beaches, but since AXA originates from a coral base rather than volcanic, it's sand is whiter and thus it's beaches are better with gorgeous turquoise hues. Obviously SBH is a whole lot more active/busy than AXA. So if you just want to unwind - AXA is the place. This holds for both road traffic and number of people at the beach. In terms of safety, I think right now SBH is a safer place to be - AXA is going thru some issues and crime (not just petty crime) has increased.

My background - we have been consistent AXA visitors for years but this year - 1) our normal villa was not available for the whole time that we wanted, and 2) we were concerned about the increase in crime. We like and enjoy SBH but feel AXA is more what we enjoy which is the quiet beaches, good food, and just relaxing at our villa. Granted if the crime issue is not dealt with in AXA, we will probably not return, maybe we would grow to love SBH but to me it is really a little too hectic, not as private, and a bit too pretentious.

About seven years ago we decided to split our time between St. Bart's (5 days) and Anguilla (4 days). After spending three slow, slow days on Anguilla with no place to shop, we took the ferry and went to St. Martin of all places for a little excitement. To say the least we have not gone back to the island. The people and restaurants were nice, but it was not our cup of tea.

Lance

Tammwi,

I don't wish to overstate the obvious, but you sound like a highly intelligent woman. If it's your desire to go to St. Barth, I expect you know how to make that desire obvious

Tim,

I do pride myself on being highly intelligent (I have paperwork to prove it) for a natural blonde. After reading your advice, I quickly sorted out the trip with a simple ultimatum. I told hubby that I was going to SBH on vacation and that if he wanted to (insert the obvious)on vacation and for the next six months that it would be in his best interest to join me in SBH! Hubby is calling WinAir in the morning and I am sure that you can spot us at dinner at Andy's on the night of the 18th!

Why do I bother to try and reason with him when I can just threaten to cut him off??? Ahh...the power of persuasion!

ah yes ... thanks for that lovely stroll down memory lane when I was married to wife #2.....gee I wonder why it didnt work out???....LOL

you call it "persuasion"...I call it the ol VW...and there is a bottle of wine to anyone who can tell me what VW stands for...LOL

Now Mike....was that really fair comparing me to wife #2???

I did this in his best interest! Why would anyone turn down lots of good lovin in SBH???

If I buy you a bottle of wine, will you tell me what VW means?

Now Mike....was that really fair comparing me to wife #2???

I did this in his best interest! Why would anyone turn down lots of good lovin in SBH???

If I buy you a bottle of wine, will you tell me what VW means?

Good Lord....based on the way you post ..forget about comparing you to wife #2...you might actually be her!!...is your name Susan>>??..LOL

hey its all in good fun, and all that aside, wife number 2 is actually a pretty sweet kid who is now thankfully driving some other poor sap crazy....LOL

you dont have to buy me a bottle of wine...I'll tell you eventually....its a pretty funny term, coined by a woman no less

We have been to Anguilla during most of our visits to the Caribbean.

If you want to enjoy uncrowded and excellent beaches, Anguilla is better than St. Barth. I would rate St. Barth beaches average, not bad but nothing special.

But for everything else, there's no comparison. The hotels in Anguilla are basicly luxury resorts, catered for people that never leave the resort. Some of the villas are ultra-luxury but the country is flat and has now views (vista?), the less you see the country, the better. The local culture is not about great food and enjoying life like the french do, so they have little interest in good food themselves -- this is visible in the restaurants and other places. You can eat fine but if you're looking for great food and evening, you'll just get overcharged. The tourist culture is unfortunately very american oriented.

The only restaurant I can recommend in Anguilla is Trattoria Tramonto in Westend.

When we go to Anguilla, we'll go just for the beaches. We stay at Paradise Cove, which is reasonably priced, well kept by the locals and has good location. We drive to different beaches every day and enjoy the sun. When we go to St. Barth after Anguilla, we'll spend more time "enjoying life", little bit of shopping, great food, just laying around in the villa or something else.

I doubt we'll continue to visit Anguilla for that many years.

PS. Travelling from AXA to SBH through SXM isn't a problem, you'll luggage will go direct and you can use the transit gate. You can also easily choose a time when there's very little activity at the airport. The problem is only when the big planes are coming or going, a mid-sized UA/AA jet can cause as much chaos as a fully loaded french or dutch 747 jumbo ;-)

you call it "persuasion"...I call it the ol VW...and there is a bottle of wine to anyone who can tell me what VW stands for...LOL

Is the first word "Velvet"?