We Watch . . . So You Don't Have ToBy Lisa de MoraesWednesday, April 26, 2006; C07Shocking night on "American Idol."Andrea Bocelli, Tenor Muzak Man, w

JEK

Senior Insider
We Watch . . . So You Don't Have To

PH2006042600059.jpg

We Watch . . . So You Don't Have To
By Lisa de Moraes
Wednesday, April 26, 2006; C07

Shocking night on "American Idol."

Andrea Bocelli, Tenor Muzak Man, was supposed to be the guest coach, only his "Amore" album producer, musician and songwriter David Foster, took over, seen at the top of the show saying things like "Are these the finalists?" -- and not in a good way.

Katharine McPhee wasted no time sucking up to Foster, saying this week she'd picked "I Have Nothing," written by someone named David Foster.

Oh, are you David Foster?

Not the David Foster!

Then she just burst into opera like you or I would start humming the "Friends" theme song, and totally charmed the pants off Bocelli. It's sickening.

"I think Katharine has a great future," Foster simpered.

McPhee, who suffers from performance dyslexia, finally figured out how to distract viewers from this crippling inability to move naturally onstage -- cleavage.

Lots and lots of cleavage.

"Great moves in that dress," oozed Ryan Seacrest, who has completed his transformation from T-shirt-wearing pop-culture-phenomenon-show host to banker, in a bespoke suit, pink striped shirt and blue silk tie.

As if it knew some great evil was about to befall, Paula Abdul's microphone shut itself off; she could be heard only faintly telling McPhee something about "know what your money is" and "back pocket."

Like that first little tremble of the ground you felt in your bed in L.A. on the morning of Jan. 17, 1994, right before the Northridge earthquake hit.

Elliott Yamin -- this season's best singer by a mile -- sang Donny Hathaway's "A Song for You" and things really got weird.

Paula started sobbing: "You move me! . . . You've moved me from the beginning!"

Paula also wanted Yamin to know she thinks he's very handsome.

(And producers of ABC newsmag "Primetime," smelling another May sweeps special, began to furiously e-mail each other.)

Simon Cowell -- the only judge worth listening to -- called Yamin's performance "a vocal master class . . . superb."

Then Kellie Pickler sang "Unchained Melody" because it reminded her of that sweet little pottery scene in "Ghost" and she bemoaned the fact that "I don't have anybody to play pottery with."

Hello? Patrick Swayze was dead in that flick, Trampy Barbie.

Bocelli said she seemed "very happy and I like her -- this is important."

"What color hair does she have?" Foster snidely asked Bocelli, who is blind.

"Blond," Bocelli responded.

"Wow," Foster said, after which Trampy Barbie trudged her way through what Simon called the Neverending Song and he was right, as usual.

Little Paris Bennett sang "The Way We Were" but voters won't remember it because she got totally upstaged by what happened next.

And no, we don't mean spotting Tori Spelling in the audience.

When Taylor Hicks sang "Just Once," Paula said he looked "handsome as heck" (more frantic e-mailing among "Primetime" producers) and when Simon started to trash-talk his performance, Paula leapt up and shouted Simon down, screaming, "We love you!" like a woman wailing to her demon lover.

" Paula , I am the one who was talking!" Simon yelled back to no avail, while Paula turned to the audience with a "back me up here, people!" look.

By the time Chris Daughtry did his psycho-stalker rendition of "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman," Paula was utterly out of control.

"LOVE YOU!" she hollered, jumping up and down.

"We all love you!

"Love!

"You!"

Re: We Watch . . . So You Don't Have To

I have no idea who she is but her and the twins win!

Thanks- we really needed that. It's about time Katherine showed what she's made of.

Yeah, but she's not blind, deaf or dumb so she can't sleep with the pope.
BTW wicked weasel bikini contest due to be updated tomorrow.

Yeah, but she's not blind, deaf or dumb so she can't sleep with the pope.
BTW wicked weasel bikini contest due to be updated tomorrow.

Geo,
You are such a wicked, wicked weasel :)

<<Lots and lots of cleavage>>

and some double sided tape, no doubt....

[quote

Binne,
Nice to see your little smiling face down here :)

[/quote]

Jean
You really missed binnie, I can tell. Are you going to pinch his cheek? If so, which one?

Re: Yeah, but who's leaving?

In my opinion, they have gotten rid of all the bad singers and I like all that are left for different reasons. But Kellie was the worst last night. It should be her going home tonight...but we'll see. Could be Paris.

Re: Tim's string broken

One has to hope that the Kellie dumb as a box of rocks act was just that as Pickler really could sing. And they were all wrong with the review of Katherine last night. So I'm especially glad Simon(who really is the only judge worth listening to) apologized to Katherine for the bad review.

Re: We Watch . . . So You Don't Have To: Thursday

We Watch ... So You Don't Have To
By Lise de Moraes
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, April 27, 2006; C07

Done in by "Unchained Melody," Trampy Barbie got sent home last night on "American Idol."

In week after week of subpar-even-for-"Idol" performances, Kellie Pickler had dodged the Bottom Three on the strength of her pouty dumb-blonde routine, which never failed to enchant the all-male lineup of celebrity coaches, the mostly male judges and show host Ryan Seacrest.

Simon Cowell was so smitten he proclaimed her a naughty little minx.

But even Simon couldn't overlook her funeral dirge version of the tune made famous by the Righteous Brothers.

Not even this week's brilliant variation on the dumb-blonde routine could save her:

I'm so sad because I don't have a boyfriend, so I'm singing this song because it reminds me of that pottery scene from "Ghost," and won't you come play pottery with me?

Though it was very, very good.

How bad was Trampy Barbie singing "Unchained Melody"?

When she was announced as this week's ejectee and handed the microphone for the traditional Song of the Loser, Ryan suggested she instead use the time to thank her fans. That Ryan is such a diplomat.