I wanted to recommend this book, especially for anyone who has ever wanted to buy a boat and set sail, cancel everything, if you will. That's everyon

spacecaptain

SBH Insider
The Water In Between by Kevin Patterson

I wanted to recommend this book, especially for anyone who has ever wanted to buy a boat and set sail, cancel everything, if you will. That's everyone, right? Anyway, it's one of my favorites and was given to me by a friend who I used to sail with a great deal and I read it about once a year. I'd like to hear opinions if anyone has read it. Have a great day all!

Re: The Water In Between by Kevin Patterson

I read it a while ago.....the most sriking factor, is the guy knew nothing about sailing or running a boat or anything nautical....that has got to make even the most simple things difficult.....my wife and I have firm plans to shed our skins and take to a boat in our later years....but we have both been working on boats most of our lives...also the technology has come so far with boats that comfortable living can be attained by anyone regardless of their economic situation...all the creature comforts are now easily available and attainable on a boat of reasonable cost...it is no longer just a privilege of the rich and famous.....and navigational equipment has made it so easy these days compared to even when this book was written, a monkey can take a boat from Point A to Point B....my father in laws sister discovered a bacteria which eats oil when its spilled on the ocean surface, made a fortune off it, cashed out, and went on a 3 year cruise around the world with her husband in a 48 foot sailboat.....they spent a year preparing and were more then prepared, to every last detail....they are also quite good sailors...the result of that was a relatively easy going journey with very few problems......they are` planning to write a book of their travels as they completely avoided anywhere popular but instead opted for the "road less travelled" route....they have some incredible stories to tell

I echo your sentiments re: I was amazed at by the author's ability to pull this off with no knowledge of boats, the sea, anything nautical basically. I have grown up on boats (at least in my mind) and have owned a sailboat and spent countless days on the water, taken certification classes, and been scared for my life crossing the gulf stream several times, and I am flat out amazed that someone could pull this off, but it gives me hope. Mike R: When your father in law gets that book written let me know, I'll buy a few copies. If anyone has read any similar stories, I would love any suggestions. Stories of life upon the sea are my favorite escape these days.

it wasnt my father in law.....he wouldnt know what side of the oar goes in the water...it was his sister....I'm guessing this book is years away