Time for my semi annual dive trip and I've not been to either. Will probably go inlate July or August. Think it rains more in Belize, would lvoe to di

BAC

SBH Insider
Bon Aire v Belize

Time for my semi annual dive trip and I've not been to either. Will probably go inlate July or August. Think it rains more in Belize, would lvoe to dive the blue hole thought. Any comments or where to stay on either?

Re: Bon Aire v Belize

I posted a suggestion on the general discussion area. I can't say enough about how great the diving is on Lighthouse atoll 60 miles off the coast of Belize. The Blue Hole is really unique in the center of the atoll and unforgettable, but not really pretty. The hundred mile reef around the atoll is so pristine and beautiful that it still sticks in my memory even though it isn't unique except for its unspoiled nature. There is a national park on one of the atoll islands which is a sanctuary for red-footed booby birds. Belize is probably the place with the best diving I've ever done.

Belize is simply the best diving I have ever experienced...period....Bonaire was good....the Sea of Cortez was excellent....the Flower Gardens in the Gulf of Mexico was very cool...Pnnacles in Saba is mind boggling... .but none compares to Beleize.....the people are also great and there is little I didnt like about Belize.....I often talk about going back but its been 20 years ...cant help you on where to stay

The Blue Hole is an unforgettable dive because you've never seen anything like it. You drop through a hole in the sandy bottom, shallow, sea floor into a huge underwater cavern complete with stalactites. People who have explored the arms of the cave speculate that it may connect to the cenotes (freshwater filled caves) on the mainland 60 miles away. You can see the deeper blue color in the image where the hole is.
elP5efH2CN5xpbqCXzqbkarveL-Fq2hm0300.jpg

If you are breathing air, as I was, you can only stay 8 minutes at 130 foot depth but you will definitely remember those minutes. On ascent, you stop at the sandy bottom at 25 feet to outgas. They entertain you by chumming the water so you can watch the hammerhead and reef sharks in a frenzy, attracted there specially for the tourists. Here's what they look like from above.

k0ZfTqG2rnBFAqSa0L-T83CeDjW5Ygtz0300.jpg

Elsewhere on the reef is the Half Moon Caye National Monument where you can check out the red-footed boobies.

MzslNjymyL+G2Jkwg5nAv2rQtqIRiYz70300.jpg

The Blue Hole is pretty much barren of life except for a stray grouper curious about the tourists. But the diving on the coral reef surrounding the atoll is spectacular. I remember unblemished coral, large tropical and pelagic fish, swimming through mountainous chutes of coral and dropping down sheer coral-filled walls.

I think there is a small dive resort on one of the atoll islands where you can stay or you can do a live-aboard for more intensive dive explorations. I took a long day trip leaving early on a fast boat. If you are mainly interested in diving, the other options are probably better.

Notthat interested in swimming in Chummed waters....... I assume that it is rainy in July and August in Belize?

What about St John?

If rain in Belize puts you off then Bonaire might be your choice. Have you been to Cozumel? Amazing coral mountains, caves, and big tropical fish.