Excerpt from the Financial Times:The lower house of the country

JoshA

Senior Insider
New French law against iTunes

Excerpt from the Financial Times:

The lower house of the country

Re: New French law against iTunes

It will be interesting to see what happens here. France likes to go its own way but rarely gets what it wants. Remember the French TV standard SECAM, different from the European PAL and the American NTSC. The market was too small to sustain this effort and they now have PAL - a European standard but still different from the US. Of course, digital TV will have its own standards and may provide global unification.

China may be a different case. They are the largest market for wireless data and want to create a separate proprietary standard known only to Chinese companies called WAPI - different from WiFi in its encryption. They backed away last year but are trying again. Economic nationalism is a strong temptation for governments.

My own preference is to let the market decide in the digital music case. Apple (really Steve Jobs) definitely has monopolistic tendencies and they attempted to win the personal computer market with that approach for the Macintosh. Their market share declined as a result and is now a few percent. They are trying again in the music player market and have had great success with the iPod. I don't think the heavy hand of regulation is warranted here. Apple is fighting back.

Apple (really Steve Jobs) definitely has monopolistic tendencies

This of course explains why Microsoft is such a small unknown company.

I should have added Microsoft's (BillG's) monopolistic tendencies also but they have their own problems with the EU.

Speaking of economic nationalism, China is worried that the US will impose tariffs and is making nice to our senators.