I saw three doozies, Pearl from Tenn. The GW Coach and the Winthrop Coach.Pearl was about to burst a vein in his neck and he said that he was worried

BAC

SBH Insider
Most Antimated Coaches? Pick'em

I saw three doozies, Pearl from Tenn. The GW Coach and the Winthrop Coach.
Pearl was about to burst a vein in his neck and he said that he was worried about the Winthrop coach, Marshall. The GW coach looked like a sawed off Danny Glover and he was 6 feet onto the court and 8 feet infront of the "line" all game!!!!. All three never sat down, called every call, glared, stomped feet pulled a Gary Williams on the poof bench people. Coach "K" on the other hand has mastered the art of cursing while his hands are folded "prayerfully" or in his pockets.

The Greensboro refs were pretty good and very patient. No idea where they came from.

Re: Most Antimated Coaches? Pick'em

Of course he wasn't there, but John Thompson comes to mind in the past. ric

Pete Carrill, the guy from Princeton, who I think is an assistant for the Golden State Warriors?
Jim Valvano RIP

and least animated

Larry Bird as head coach of the Pacers

And the Wizzard of Westwood sometimes read during a game.

if you walk into our gym right now.....you will see a swath of completely worn out flooring, in the fifteen foot coaching box......the custodians even put an extra coat of urethane over the box this year in an attempt to "Mike proof " it.....

Somehow, Miker, I pictured you as the thoughtful, quiet, cerebral type whose every whispered suggestion is eagerly absorbed by the young acolytes ;-)

LOL..Im not a screamer but I am up and pacing and directing the action for sure....never trust the kids to make the right choices....because they probably wont...my coaching personna is like my SBHonline personna which is nothing at all like me real life personna, as those who have met me in here have already attested to.....

Pete Carill is a great example..the man looked like he was about to die at times during Princeton games....Bobby Knight too....hey and Roy Willimas picked up a chair this past weekend and looked like he was about to do a Knight toss, but he instead just slammed it back into its spot..

and if I had Woodens line ups on the floor, I too would read a book or a newspaper...LOL

So where do you fit on the Obi-wan Kenobi to Bobby Knight scale?

depends on the team.....also depends on what they need.....if they need a kick in the ass..they get it....if they need a calming reassuring force, like during a time out with 10 seconds left and us down one...they get that....but usually somewhere in the middle between the two people you mention

forecast this weekend Josh???...40's and sunny...sweeeeeeet

Quote "..Im not a screamer "

We still talking basketball here?

uh....yeah.....I've been known to scream in other areas of my life however, if you must know...LOL

Mike- Your first post was better. I pictured you screaming, "Box out! Box out!"

Mike- Your first post was better. I pictured you screaming, "Box out! Box out!"

you'd hear that for sure....you'd hear "help" probably more then anything else....and you'd hear "reverse the god damn ball for Christs sakes" a lot too...LOL...

feel better now?

funny you mention that eddie..there is a definite double standard on how coaches are treated by refs in terms of being outside the coaching box.....an established coach, who knows the refs, like myself and many others, leaves the box frequently, steps out on the floor to give directions during dead ball situations, and the refs dont say a word...a rookie coach steps one inch out of the box and the refs are threatening to make him sit the rest of the game....too funny

I think it has to do with the refs familiarity with the coach. If he's done a lot of the coaches games, he knows the coach isn't doing it to show him up. With a rookie coach, the ref doesn't know.
A good coach will earn a refs respect and, with it, the benefit of the doubt.