Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MikeR,We're headed out to BC on Tuesday. How about a ski report? I hear it is good, really good...Steve

Beaver Creek

MikeR,

We're headed out to BC on Tuesday. How about a ski report?

I hear it is good, really good...

Steve

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003

Re: Beaver Creek

its as good as I can remember...its been warm this week (40-50)...and we havent had snow in 4 days..which for this season, is a long time.....you'll be fine... here is a shot, taken on Sunday, from the top of the Outback looking out towards Breckenridge

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003

here is another shot taken of North Peak on Sunday...how long will you be there?....have time for a beer?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Annapolis Posts: 4,106

Great shots, Miker! I love the feel of corduroy in the morning! Missing Colorado. Looks like great coverage on the T-bar bowl at Breckenridge. It's rare to see all the peaks fully white like that.

Josh...yeah corduroy is great for reaching mach speeeds inst it???...the coverage as you have noticed is incredible....I take my tiny Canon Sureshot digital everytime I go out and try to get shots on nice days

Steve: From the photos, it looks like you will have great conditions at BC. I've always enjoyed it there and think the terrain is underrated. While it doesn't have the huge spectacular bowls of Vail, it doesn't have those crowds either. It does have plenty of steep stuff on the Birds of Prey lift and Grouse and, if you want more, the locals will show you how to get to the high bowl. Also, Vail is a-Vail-able easily on your lift pass. If you happen to get a dump, I recall an open area off Grouse perfect for easy, floating turns.

Miker: I remember they were talking about linking Vail and BC with a gondola across route 24 over Minturn. The locals were up in arms over that because they use the large snowfield on the west of 24 for sledding and cross-country and to access the Holy Cross wilderness. Anything come of that?

Miker: I remember they were talking about linking Vail and BC with a gondola across route 24 over Minturn. The locals were up in arms over that because they use the large snowfield on the west of 24 for sledding and cross-country and to access the Holy Cross wilderness. Anything come of that?
    no ...thank God.....some terrain is better left hard to get to so John Q Public cant get there and only those in the know, fit enough, and with good enough equipment can get there....Darwinism at its best..LOL

BC is a nice mountain....a little tame for my tastes, but well laid out terrain for sure and a much better vibe then Vail......and they have the greatest liquor store with the greatest name in the known universe.... Beaver Liquors...their t shirts have become so popular they had to open up a seperate store just for that!

its as good as I can remember...
    Miker/Josh,

That is what I wanted to hear. Beaver Creek is our principal ski hangout. We love it because the kids know their way around the mountain and we don't have to worry about them taking off on their own.

Miker, it may be tame for you but my skills have already peaked. If I can enjoy the mountain on a beautiful day and a little apres ski and not break anything doing either of those, I consider it a great day!

It's a pretty quick trip. Out on Tuesday. Skiing Wednesday through Sunday, flying out Sunday evening. Kids (and friends of kids) in tow. We are planning to ski Vail one day--haven't been to Vail in years. I don't think we will get as far as Keystone this trip but there will be others in the future. My kids were in Copper last month (their travel schedule is even better than mine) and they can't get enough skiing so return trips are inevitable! Plans are in the works for December already.

Thanks for the report and picture! Looking forward to it!

Steve

If I can enjoy the mountain on a beautiful day and a little apres ski and not break anything doing either of those, I consider it a great day!

Steve
    100% with you on that!....makin a few turns in fresh air and sunshine is what its all about...nothing like it...well enjoy and if you ever want to ski Keystone, Copper or Breck give me a call and I'll take a few runs with you.....I'll be at A Basin Saturday...the Outback on Sunday

We are planning to ski Vail one day
    Definitely a good idea despite the likely crowds. I like the back bowls better than any other ski terrain in Colorado. Even for intermediate skiers, there's nothing like motoring down the groomed track in China bowl on a blue-sky day with sunlight reflecting off the big white room (apologies to Cream).

I totally agree about the Vails back bowls...they do rock and are amongst the best terrain in Colorado....Coppers back bowls aint chopped liver either...but I cant take the Vail crowds or the Vail attitude....Vail in the offseason is a great place however.....autumn in Vail is gorgeous too......and I'll still take the East Walls and East Chutes of A Basin over anything else

I'll still take the East Walls and East Chutes of A Basin over anything else
    Yep. Great hike-to terrain (if I'm thinking of the same place). I'm probably too old to do that anymore. I'll still take the track off the high lift though.

Yep. Great hike-to terrain (if I'm thinking of the same place). I'm probably too old to do that anymore. I'll still take the track off the high lift though.

you are thinking of the same place and yes the track off of the high lift ( which by the way that lift services the highest available terrain in North America) is also very good

Getting off that high lift gives you a light-headed feeling from a) the top-of-the-world view and b) the lack of oxygen. Do the locals still use the road over Loveland pass for a car shuttle to avoid lift prices? You can now see ski tracks from mountain pass roads anywhere in the US. There used to be an actual ski area at Berthoud pass which had awesome snowfalls. An official bus would pick you up either side of the pass for the shuttle back to the top. Before they widened the road, that was one hell of a nail-biter to Winter Park in a snowstorm.

as far as I know the locals dont do that anymore.....some of the best skiing occurs between the top of the contintental divide on Loveland Pass and the bottom near A Basin....lots of full moon skiing at night is done there...I havent done it in quite some time but it is/was quite the rush....and yes the view from the top of A basin is like no other...I'll snap a few pics and post em here on the next bluebird day that I am up there...I got caught up in a fast moving white out, snow blind storm up at the top of A Basin one spring that I will never forget..

where and when did you live in CO???

I lived in the Springs until 2002. I used to drive through South Park to Breckenridge and beyond pretty often. The buddy pass made skiing all the Summit County resorts and Vail and Beaver Creek pretty easy. I really got spoiled though. Wouldn't budge unless there was 8 inches or more overnight. Sometimes even though the skiing was essentially free and I was already staying on the slopes, I wouldn't go if there hadn't been fresh snow in a while. That's how I knew age was catching up with me. As you can imagine, I haven't gone skiing in the Eastern resorts since.

You guys! Living in ski country and vacationing in St. Barts! Life is good!

You guys! Living in ski country and vacationing in St. Barts! Life is good!
    Indeed....hey you'll never hear me complaining!...... Steve I just lookd at the forecast for next week when you re here....snow showers everyday but Sunday...sweeeeeeeeet

Josh .. gotcha....yeah going through South Park on 285 is the way to go from there... imagine how spoiled I am living 20 minutes or less from all 4 resorts.....

What a coincidence - it only took me 20 minutes also.

LOL

it would take you 20 minutes just to negotiate Hoosier Pass

Compared to Berthoud or Independence, Hoosier is a beginner pass. I will grant you that it's wise to slow down through Fairplay whose entire budget is funded by speeding tickets. But if you hit the slope in Alma just right, you can sail right over Hoosier pass and not touch down until you hit Blue River.

not me...I am ALWAYS behind some petrified driver from Kansas or Florida or Missouri goin 5 MPH!!...everytime...never fails

Independence Pass is a doozy for sure...and its open...what...maybe 12 weeks out of the year???

I used to love exploring the passes in Colorado - whether there was a road there or not. We bought a Jeep when we moved there and looked for all those dotted lines on the topo maps. I wrote a letter of appreciation to the company after our first experience. We negotiated what I thought was an impossible crossing from Telluride to Ouray over Imogene pass crossing a raging stream and over a steep embankment on the other side. I found out later that was nothing. I love the San Juan mountains for off-road driving.

no doubt about it this is God s country for sure out here.....we re looking at possibly going back to New Hampshire full time in a year or two as I think my mother is going to need me close by in the not too distant future and....well.. we have 3 shops back there which really should be getting more hands on attention from us then they are currently getting......and if that does happen, it is going to take some time for me to get over THAT depression....LOL.....I love this place beyond words

I definitely miss it. Well, time to start the weekend.

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Tyler, Texas and Beaver Creek, Colorado Posts: 4,619

MikeR -- Unfortunately, the day may come when Vail connects all the way to Arrowhead. Just down 24 from Minturn a huge development is in the making. They are planning to build a ski area on Battle Mountain and take in the area that once was the Gilman Mine and now the Gilman ghost town. Something like 1700 "luxury homes" and a resort. The city fathers in Minturn are licking their chops over the cash that will bring in. Vail Daily last Sunday reported that they are already talking about what they are going to do with the money -- infrastructure, water supply, etc.
    To the optimist the glass is half full.
    To the pessimist the glass is half empty.
    To the engineer the glass is simply too big.

now see I have been reading that it will never happen because of the enormous impact on the lynx and elk.....well...thats too bad .....but if I said it surprised me, I would be lying... after all....its what we do...in the end money always wins

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Tyler, Texas and Beaver Creek, Colorado Posts: 4,619

Lynx and elk don't have a chance to beat out that kind of money. The environment comes in a far second (if that) to a new sewer system for Minturn. Think what it will do for Red Cliff. Picture Burger King.
    To the optimist the glass is half full.
    To the pessimist the glass is half empty.
    To the engineer the glass is simply too big.

sad........so myoptic....... misguided wealth ( is there any other kind?) is like a cancer