• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Villa Touring

SAVVY

SBH Member
I will be traveling to St. Barths early part of next year and while I am there I would like to visit other villas that I might be interested in staying at on our next visit. Has anyone done this before? If so how did you go about doing it.

I will be traveling to St. Barths early part of next year and while I am there I would like to visit other villas that I might be interested in staying at on our next visit. Has anyone done this before? If so how did you go about doing it.

You can give it a try through the local agents, but I've found it to be next to impossible during high season. Most villas are booked and the renters are not keen on gawkers coming through, at least this renter isn't :)
You could try villas rented by owners and see if they would be willing to accommodate you. Most have email address on their sites.
I've made friends with several of the villa chefs and they tend to have the best contacts for empty villas and the oft needed pass-codes for gates.

On occasion, you can tour one during the turnover between when one guest leaves and another comes but you have to coordinate this with the agent.

We have actually toured a couple of villas by way of parties thrown by people in this site as well. For the most part, it is all about location, location, location and privacy with privacy being partly based on location. As such, even a driveby can give you lotsa info.

Savvy:

We have stayed on different parts of the island - by design. And we have found that each part has its own unique character. Literally, it is like several islands in one. Andynap has stayed beachfront on Flamands, as have we (Isle de France). That is a unique experience - you feel as though you are a million miles from nowhere in a cute little seaside village. On the other hand, St Jean has all kinds of things going on. Columbier is high in the hills, quiet, breezy and with views. Pointe Milou and Mont Jean are out over the ocean, waiting for the next tradewind to bring Columbus passing by again. Cul de Sac is actually quite pretty with the twinkling lights at night. Toiny and Grand Fond have that Away From The World feel with Grand Fond particularly being a throwback to the Chickens, Goats And Fish days of St Barts when subsistence farming and fishing were the only industries. Gouverneur and Luren are quiet and a stone's throw from town or beach. And Vitet and Lorient cap the whole scene off with great views and serenity.

You have to drive the island to get a feel and for the first several trips, Kevin's view of Accomodation Promiscuity has much merit - stay different places for your first several trips and get to know different parts of the island.

I am now at a point that if I know where a villa is, I pretty much know a lot of what to expect. The only question I need answered now is the all-important How Private Is The Pool Deck? After that, much of the rest is details.

I am sure there are some dogs when it comes to villas on St Barts. But most of the places that get a lot of airplay in this site are tried and true and have their fans based on the experiences of experienced visitors. In many cases, we are down to quibbling about subtle points such as "In the winter, there is no sun on the pool after 3PM" or "I thought there could have been a better food processor in the kitchen". Such is the level of comfort that we come to expect that even these details are noticed.

A good driveby can give you a feel for the environment, the accessibility, what is around, etc. Occasionally, you can even contact the owner of a villa and if they live on island, they will show it to you if it is empty. That is always a great thing to do when you can - a walk through. We did that with Rosita and booked La Baleine on the spot!

As to which part of the island is my favorite, I dont think I can answer that because I have loved everywhere that I have stayed. Each place has been magic in its own way. So drive by places. Indeed, tour as much of the island as you can. And go ahead and contact some of the owners who rent their villas directly (through the villa by owner link on the front page). If there is a time that their villa is open and they can meet you there, I imagine that many/most of them would be happy to show you around.

Bon chance.

I've never had a problem touring selected villas through Marla Realty or through Sibarth.If they are occupied, of course you may not see them.We've toured a good many,though, and it did avoid some disapointment.Some of the photos are deceiving.Some of the locations won't do,depending what you are looking for in that respect.I did visit villas I'd never rent.Now I have a memory of villas I'll rent in the future.Either way,enjoy!