• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Dear Tim,I went back and did more research, and it was your wonderful clue as to it being a local pastry of Bordeaux that put me on the correct track.

davesmom

Senior Insider
A Cannell

Dear Tim,
I went back and did more research, and it was your wonderful clue as to it being a local pastry of Bordeaux that put me on the correct track. So here is your prize:

Bordeaux Canneles (Canalay)
A recipe by Jean Marie Amat.

Note: These traditional Bordeaux pastries are cooked in conical copper molds, but if these are unavailable use brioche cups or other small molds.

1 large egg
1 yolk from a large egg
1/2 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk (use 3% or 4% fat content milk)
2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. rum vanilla extract

Mix the egg, egg yolk and sugar in a large bowl and then add the flour and beat until the mixture is smooth. Add 1/4 cup of the milk. Heat the remaining milk to a temperature of 85 degrees Celsius. Add the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture and then add rum and vanilla extract to taste. Cover and let cool for 2 hours at room temperature and then 12 hours in the refrigerator. (The recipe may be prepared in advance to this point).

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease the canneles or other molds. Mix the chilled liquid and pour it into the molds, place the molds on a cookie sheet and bake until dark in color and springy in texture (about 1 hour, but cooking time will vary depending on the size and shape of the molds). Unmold and serve warm or at room temperature on a plate, as you would cookies.

Now, you have a little project to keep you busy when it rains!! Since it is written in English, I think they messed up the French spelling of the pastry. Some people have mentioned that it has a caramelized outside, and I do not see that as a feature here. Sounds like you could soak it in a little rhum vanille...and you'd get a baba au rhum type thing. Perhaps you need another trip to BBQ to ask them to "verify" the authenticity of the recipe..bring it with you and they'll know you're serious! Meanwhile, I'll keep looking...

Sincerely,
Ta groupie, DM

Re: A Cannell

DM,

Never again will we believe that you're not as skilled with a computer as any of the best on this site! Girl, you've sure blown your cover with this feat. Now we have only to find someone equally skilled in the kitchen to convert the formula to these amazingly delicious little cakes. Perhaps my lovely wife will give it a try with my standing on the sidelines cheering her on. Thanks for your effort.