• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

What is the departure tax that is paid in cash at the airport upon departure checkin?

athens

SBH Member
SBH departure tax

What is the departure tax that is paid in cash at the airport upon departure checkin?

Re: SBH departure tax

I haven't paid a departure tax in years. My guess is that it is currently included in the ticket price.

This post applies to the AA flights we have taken for many, many years. The procedure had always been pick up bags at arrival on SXM, re-check at WinnAir (and get ready to pay the overweight charge), pick up an "In Transit" voucher at the booths at the SXM airport and go to SB, and then when reversing the process on departure, pay the $30 or whatever for the departure tax on exit at SXM. This year, for some obscure reason, we were informed that there was no "departure tax" and it was included in the price of the ticket... if it was, it was news to me... but, take $30 U.S.D. twice, reduce to 20 euros each, and it means one of our 110 euro dinners only cost 70 euro...what a deal !
JJH

I'm a bit confused here. There is no departure tax to be paid upon leaving SBH. Was that the question, or were you inquiring about SXM?

I was referring to leaving SBH, not the SXM fee.

I know I have paid about $20 in cash at the SBH WINAIR gate upon departure. Is this now built into my WINAIR ticket.

I have never paid a departure tax that I am aware of and JJH why would you pay a departure tax at sxm when you are still in transit? Both ways if you are not staying on sxm for more than 24 hours I think you are not supposed to pay a departure tax.

There hasn't been a departure tax in St. Barthelemy in the last eight years, to my recollection. There has been a departure tax in SXM for those staying more than 24 hours, but since I only use the Transit Gate in SXM, I don't know the current status of the departure tax over there. I hope I never have to spend 24 hours in SXM to be able to answer the question.

I hope I never have to spend 24 hours in SXM to be able to answer the question.

Amen, brother. Amen. Apologies to SXM aficionados in advance.

JJH - You're not ahead, you're paying a hidden tax that you don't owe. A few years back AA started bundling the SXM departure tax in with the other taxes on their tickets. See my original gripe AA/SXM Departure Tax
It was $20 at the time, and is $30 now.

Are you by any chance the unhappy plaintiffs attorney that I mentioned in the post? ;)