• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Live from Gustavia, it's Carnaval!

JEK

Senior Insider
A SBHOnline reunion with Digger, MidwestMike, Lloyd, GeorgePA, CarolH and Tim at Le Select. Many pictures to follow with narrative, but the high point of the parade was Andy and crew as Queen (We will rock you). He was a real crowd pleaser. Tim enlisted me to shoot a few shots of a dance troupe that he knows so he and I were IN the parade. 500 images to process tonight, so I'll have a few uploaded tomorrow.

2005 was my best Carnival ever. Since JEK had already invited SBHers to join him at Le Select along with the island's most distinguished resident, I volunteered his services as super photographer for the dance troupe Rhum et Gingembre. It was a fantastic experience to be a part of the action for St. Barth Carnival. As a somewhat independent observer, I'd like to offer the following awards:

Best Photographer - JEK

Best Viewing Action - The "office" at Le Select

Crudest Costume - The man dressed in red from head to toe with "Super Tampax" written on his forehead.

Most Beautiful - Les femmes de St. Barthelemy. What an amazing and almost surreal experience to see the shop girls, wives, daughters - all dressed up, made up, and dancing to the delight of their families, neighbors, and visitors to the isle.

Most Outstanding Costume - The gentleman in blazer and bow tie. Need I say more?

Loved It Too Much(Pretty in Pink) - The muscular young man in the form fitting pink dress, high heels, and full make up who attended the event with his wife and daughter. He still was wearing those heels when we left BAZ around 9:00 pm, and it was obvious to all that he was quite pleased with the way he looked.

Clown Beer Cooler - Like the clowns that keep pouring from the tiny car in the circus, the beer cooler on the Rhum et Gingembre float provided and endless supply of Heiniken and Schaeffer to dancers and other volunteers. Photographers work for beer.

Stole The Show - Andy and his compatriots as "Queen." When their float stopped in front of the crowds jamming the streets at the corner between L'Oubli and Le Select and gave their performance of "We Will Rock You", everyone from eight to eighty was singing along and dancing. It was a St. Barthelemy moment.

Great Pictures!Saw a lot of my buddies!Say Hi to Digger and the Boss, we (Allen and Claudia) will see them in a week.Usually are there for the big day, but it was alittle early this year.

I have always loved Queen! What I would've paid to be there for that moment. Unfortunately sometimes work gets in the way. I'm sure that the late, great Freddie Mercury was smiling down upon Andy and his crew. Rock on Andy!

" she keeps Moet & Chandon..in a pretty cabinet...let them eat cake she says....just like Marie Antionette".....you re right Phil..ol Freddie would love that scene for sure

looks like a rockin good time for all.....and now....Lent

for who????...LOL

Great pics..My bride to be is getting a little early taste of SBH and is getting more excited every day..

Really great photos JEK! Looks like a hoot of a great time! Saw Alain the photographer somewhere in there....you would have given him a run for his money.

Thanks for sharing,

Cheri

Cheri,

Local photographer Alain was really checking out mon ami JEK during the photo shoot of the parade. I think he was feeling threatened by the size of JEK's camera.

But where JEK really shines is in the presentation. You should see the video he put together of the stills of Andy's group - all on DVD accompanied naturally by the music of Queen's "We Will Rock You." Those pictures really come alive on a large screen television. He's working on another DVD for the dance troupe, Rhum et Gingembre. I can't wait to see that one made from the over 200 photos taken of R & G on Fat Tuesday.