• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

La Samanna - St. Martin

LAM

SBH Member
Hi, Is anyone familiar with or has stayed at La Samanna in St. Martin? Sort of contemplating between there and Isle De France (or Guanahani) in St. Bart's. Any comparisons, opinion, etc....even about the two islands?
Thanks

La Samanna and Isle de France are very much alike. Both top luxury on world class beaches. I would have to go with long Beach at La Samanna as the beast beach I have ever sat upon.
It is long, sandy and has a drop off that has incredible snorkleing. It has a very private feel to it unlike Flammons which is also an incredible beach. Both St Martin and St Barths have uncomparable dining possibilities. Both have incredible beaches.
St Martin is a blast of cultural color, traffic and crime. St Barths is safer, and homogeneous, like being within the country club gates. A tough choice.

Have stayed at both and each is great. Isle de France has a more private feel to it. We actually like the restaurant at La Samanna better and their breakfast was quite a bit better. I am doubtful that I would return to St. Martin based on what goes on outside the resort you are staying at. It is somewhat of a long drive to get to the better restaurants and you have to drive through some "seedy" areas to get to them, especially at night. There is much more crime in St. Martin and did not always feel safe. The beaches are more croweded in St. Martin. There is less activity at night in St. Barths. In summary, both hotels are great, it depends on what you prefer to do outside the hotel.

La Samanna is like an earlier incarnation of Cap Juluca. Fabulous beach. Second the great view from the restaurant. One of the best in the Caribbean. Unfortunately, also have to second the concerns about crime, but if there is anyplace you would want to spend time on SXM it would be here. Of course, you would want to see other parts of the island but you could enjoy a vacation here if you never left the property.