• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Thanks & question re: connection times in SXM

chrisb

Thanks to all of you for this wonderful resource. I'm planning my first trip to SBH for December and this forum and the whole website has been invaluable.

Now to my question -- how early should I get to SXM from SBH for my connection on American back to JFK? Do I really need to sit in the SXM airport for two hours?

Unless something has changed recently, yes, you will have to go though immigration and retieve your checked baggage onyour way home.I hope I'm wrong. We used to use American round trip pit-jfk-sxm.Gtting home was brutal,as the 10:30p.m. jfk-pit flight worked about 50% of the time.Anyway, the lines at the American counter in St. Martin are usully significantly longer than the lines at the USAir counter, so to be on the safe side, you need the 2 hours or more. If you do get through the immigration/bag retrieval/chck-in/tax stamp/docs check/security check routine quickly, there is a new lounge upstairs from the general boarding area which is supposed to be very nice.I don't use them, but if St. Barth's Services can help with this, maybe another forum member will read this and recommend them.Believe me the St. Barth trip is worth the hassle at SXM.I just resign myself and pretend I'm having a good time.

If you can get by on carry on luggage you can cut down your time in SXM a bit (you avoid picking up luggage, the immigration line, the departure tax line, and customs). We have arrived in SXM with less than 5 minutes to spare (with only carry on) and made the American flight back to JFK (I do not recommend this). We have also had our Winair flights delayed out of SBH (we originally left ourselves about an hour in SXM) and cut it really close for a US Airways flight but ultimately made it. Generally speaking, with carry on, I still try to give myself at least an hour in SXM.

My approach is to get to the airport early, get checked in, and then take a taxi to the Sun Set Beach Bar (about 1+ miles away, at the end of the runway to the West) and watch the planes land & take off (SSBB opens at 10:00 am). When I see my plane land, I go back to the airport terminal.

There are other restaurant places along airport road where one can get a breakfast / lunch also. Much more enjoyable than sitting in the terminal.

I should note that the terminal building at Princess Juliana airport is in the process of being compleely rebuilt (actually replaced) as part of a long term upgrade paln for the airport. The proejct, which started in July, is scheduled for 27 months and will cost $100M. To help pay for this, the departure taxes will increase (already gone from $20 to $25 and will go higher). The head of the airport is trying to convince the US to put a customs clearance station in the airport to eliminate having to go through customs in San Juan.

We just did the American flight with check-in bags this past April and yes, you definitely need the two hours (especially considering that it is very possible that your SBH-SXM Winair flight will be late arriving into SXM to begin with). We rushed and stressed and sweated it and we made it through just in time to board our flight. We did have time to grab a sandwich in the airport to take on the plane (for what are now long flights with no food). But we were rushing the entire time. Anyway.....the American check-in lines were horrific and it left us wondering if maybe we should have just arrived in SXM late to begin with since we stood there for probably and hour and 15, only to be called to the front of the line anyway. But, to answer your original question, it took all of 2 hours to get through SXM airport last April.

Greetings all

A couple of things.

On the one occasion that we flew American to sxm via sju, on the return flight we did exactly what someone else suggested. We took an earlier flight from SBH, checked our bags early and hit a local restaurant for lunch and cocktails. Beats the hell out of hanging out at the airport terminal.

When flying with US Air, on the return from SBH we use the in-transit gate as our luggage is checked through to ewr and we have used the business lounge upstairs ( I think last year the cost was usd 30 for the four of us). It is a very nice lounge and, confidentially, although in theory you are not allowed to smoke anywhere in the SXM airport, they seem to look the other way when you sneak a smoke in the men's/ladies' rooms.

You get free use of their computers with high speed internet access, they have a couple of satellite TV's, a good bar, some snacks, free coffee and they come to tell you when your plane is getting ready to board so you can relax until the time comes. I highly reccommend it vs hanging out with the masses in the gate area.

take care
georgedp

I tried the Soualiga (variously interpreted as Land of Salt or Salt Island) Lounge on my June trip. The fee is $150/year or $20/person. They provide complimentary sodas and light snacks, as well as a pay bar. Beach attire is not permitted. TVs and bar service are available. I neither wanted nor looked for internet access, but I believe that it is available, as well as FAX and telephones. If you have time to kill inside security it is a civilized place to do so. For a short wait, the bars downstairs will do just fine.

I plan a minimum of two hours plus flight time to transit from SBH to SXM with checked baggage. If I get lucky and need less time then you may just find me upstairs in the airport restaurant/bar outside security, or upstairs in Soualiga inside security. If I get unlucky on the the various security checkpoint lines then I may need the entire two hours just to make my flight.