• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Have also been considering checking out Vieques. This deal looks great for a trial run:http://www.luxurylink.com/Home.phtml?rd=Virtual/Virtual.phtml?i

Re: Vieques

It looks like a great place, but you might want to bring a few hardcover books. Seriously It might be lacking in development still.
Check it out

and bring a helmet... wasnt/isnt the military practice bombing that place...I seem to remember a big thing going on there and Rev Al Sharpen went down there to protest the bombing and got himself arrested or something like that.....Im pretty sure it was there

Peaceful Vieques

The military stopped bombing there about a year ago. It is still super-quiet and pretty run-down. Unemployment runs about 30%, so there's lots of folks just hanging out. Check out the Inn on the Blue Horizon for nicer place to stay, if you decide to go.

Jeff

Re: Peaceful Vieques

Years ago (1969 -71) a friend and I used to travel to Puerto Rico each winter. We didn't have drivers licenses so we'd take "publicos" (station wagons that loaded up a circus-full of passengers and took 'em where they wanted to go for 25 cents) or buses. We mostly hung out at Rincon but one time we headed east, looking for good snorkeling spots, and ended up on Vieques. We asked for the beach and, probably because of our gringo looks and shaggy hair, were directed to the dividing line between the Naval bombardment area and the rest of the island, where a demonstration was going on (this was 30+ years before the Rev. Bacon showed up, Miker -he's an ally come lately). We had come to camp on the beach and dive but we also hung out with the protesters for a few days since there wasn't much else happening. It was quite the scene, with your usual peace activists on one side of a huge cyclone fence and blue jump-suited Federal marshalls on the other, rifles at the ready. Twice a day a helicopter with its cargo bay open would swarm low and film all of us protestors. My friend and I went back to snorkeling but I've always been intrigued with the idea that, somewhere in Washington, there were (are?) films of two dangerous, fifteen-year-old communists from Greenwich Connecticut who travelled all the way to Vieques to stir up trouble. The Navy's gone now, I think (where we expect our forces to train is another issue) and from what I hear from my sailing friends, the place is quite peaceful.The slighly larger island of Culebra is nearby and that, too is a pretty spot. But, without the demonstrators, I suspect that the nightlife is non-existent.

We were in Vieques for New Years this year. Martineau Bay is overpriced for what you get. Nice rooms though. But when we go again, we will stay at the Inn at the Blue Horizon (charming!!) where the food is amazing --- we ate there 2 times for dinner and once at the Blu Bar.
The beaches are so secluded and amazing that you are shocked more people don't know about this place. Every thing is very inexpensive (well especially compared to SBH) including the superb restaurants.
However, the island has a lot of developing to do (the gas stations all ran out of gas, and we could not pick up our rental car because of that for two days --- but is was "high season"). Expect the island to change signifcantly in the next few years as more developers come in. I suspect that the Commonwealth will have to sell of some of the designated wildlife land to raise money, and most of this land sits on some amazing waterfront property (which is hard to reach, except by 4wd vehicle).

All in all a charming little island. Feel free to PM for more information .