• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Emergency stop over on SXM?

G

Connecticut's just been hit with an unexpected (by me, anyway) snowstorm. All the more reason to flee south tomorrow, but our AA flight to SXM and our Winnair escape to SB are only 90 minutes apart.A delay in NYC could land us too late for the 5:10 Winnair flight. If so, any suggestions out there for a cheap overnight? I hate to waste money on an island I don't want to be on.
Thanks,

The weather should be fine tomorrow.
I would take the boat before I stayed on sxm.
By the way, are you a Herreshoff or is your boat?

Thanks Steve, that'll be the back up plan. And no, I'm neither a genuine Herreshoff nor do I own one, alas (although I did own a sweet Pete Culler designed gaff-rigged sloop from that eara). But I love multihulls and in 1876, when he was 16, Nathaniel Herreshoff designed and built a catamaran and sailed it against the NY Yacht Club fleet. he trounced them so they responded, naturally, by banning multi-hulls from "proper racing" forever. I've always wondered how far along multi-hull design would be today if Herreshoff hadn't been deterred.
Skateboard Phil and Cheri, thanks for your kind wishes.My various siblings have travelled to SB since the early 80's and always spoken highly of it but my travels have always taken me other places (a peril of sailing on other people's boats). So I'm excited.

Try cheapcaribbean.com for a cheap place to stay on SXM. Have fun there! I am one of the few people on this forum that actually like SXM.

It was our experience that when Us air arrived late in SXM they gave us a booklet of vouchers
taxi to hotel
nights lodging
dinner
breakfast
taxi to airport
We then too an early morning winair to sbh and all was well. I wouldn't worry too much