• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

I was wondering if there is any US cellular service that will work while vacationing on St. Barts.

caf1972

Wireless service

I was wondering if there is any US cellular service that will work while vacationing on St. Barts.

Re: Wireless service

If you mean can you pick up a US cell provider - no. If you mean will a US phone work in SBH - yes. You'll connect with Eastern Carribean cell network

So I can just use the phone I currently use in the US? And how do I go about setting up service?

When you get to SBH dial "0" on your phone and have a credit card ready. They'll ask you if you want a dutch or french number ask for french, it will make all your calls to SBH numbers local, they'll assign you a number and within 5 minutes yourt ready to go.

I have never done this, but I recall a prior post saying that you can make arrangements with that company in advance of your trip. The primary advantage is that you will already be assigned a phone number that you can give to work/family/etc.

-Brian

Does anyone have experience with ECC? If so, how's the coverage on SBH. There is another option, i.e. rental on SBH (through Rachel Francis). The rate for the rental is @ $100/wk which includes $42 in calls.

You can rent a phone at the internet and phone shop on the main street in Gustavia, on the right, upstairs, before you get to LeSelect. I arranged for a local # before I went to SB. My cell company showed me how to switch the scan on my phone and it worked quite well. A few disconnects in the lower valleys but great on the hillsides. Very easy to use. Haven't gotten the bill so don't know how much I spent. About $2 a minuter I think is the cost.

That was confusing but I did send an email to easten cellular and hope to sign up ahead. We'll see what shows up in the emil tomorrow <g>

I'm confused. I was told that Eastern Cell Caribbean was on SXM and had poor service on SBH. In a trip story that was posted, someone said to avoid them.
Does anyone know if there are two carriers that serve St. Barts?