• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

When do most restaurants close for the summer?

steve

SBH Insider
Thinking of going back to St. Barth's in May after just returning two weeks ago. This will be the quickest I've ever wanted to return to anywhere for a vacation again. I've always liked to try different islands. Are all the restaurants still open at the end of May?

Steve: We caught the same St. Barths bug and went in feb '02 and then again in july '02 with the kids. I think the restaurant closures happen mostly in August, and while the good eats are sure an attraction, there are so many different types and variety of places that I would not let restaurant closures change my plans. There are always the grocery stores that have to stay open, plus Nick and Andy plus probably Vladi know of still secret island places.

Steve....

I was on the island last May. None of the restaurants I normally frequent were closed. May is a really great time to go.

Most of the restaurant closures start later than August. We were there in August this year and nearly everything was open. (One notable exception was La Marine.)

We had been concerned about closures so we asked about them when we were there. Everyone we asked said that they close for September, October or both.

The month of May should be no problem at all.

-B

Brian, we were in St. Barth's from Nov. 3rd to 10th and the only restaurant that wasn't open that I know of was the Marigot Bay Beach Club (I believe that is the name).
Le Ti opened Nov. 9th and Esprit de Salines opened Nov. 8th.
Steve

Yes ... that would be because I meant to say "September, October, or both."! :)

Not sure why my fingers did not cooperate with what my brain was telling them last night. Oh well!

Sorry for the confusion.

-Brian

P.S. I tried to edit the previous post, but the time limit for editing has expired.

Marigot Bay has finally re-opened. As has the Lafayette Club and Taiwana (lunch on me in February Nick)

Andy: Taiwana? Where would that be located. Do you think it will be worth a visit. I'm intrigued re your "internet special". Roger and I will have to ask for that when we are there Feb. 15 !!

Deb.

I am also intrigued by my internet special. An idea of Jack R's, and a good idea too. Anybody who mentions the forum will be allowed to babysit my son Matthew for an evening, free of charge. Nappies (daipers?) suppied.
Taiwana is an overly priced hotel restaurant that you either love or hate. I love it.

Andy, please tell us why you love the restaurant hotel taiwanna? Is it the restaurant or hotel, or a combination? If Nick buys it doesn't matter, but some would like to know what attracts you to the property given the upper end pricing commanded by the hotel and restaurant.

I'm buying, not Nick. The Taiwana is inexplicable. I won't even try. I'm sorry. "The good old day's". We talk about soccer and horse-racing etc. Can't explain.