• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Autour de Rocher burned to the ground just prior to our first trip to SBH. I have only heard rumors as to what went on there. Since the "statute of

Digger

SBH Insider
Autour de Rocher

Autour de Rocher burned to the ground just prior to our first trip to SBH. I have only heard rumors as to what went on there. Since the "statute of limitations" has now expired, I was wondering if there are those of you who used to frequent this infamous club, that would like to share your experiences with those of us who never made it there. Certainly any comments could be made in the third person as to not incriminate the poster. I understand it was located in Lorient. Where exactly and are there any remnents left? I hope we can have fun with this.

Re: Autour de Rocher

In Jimmy Buffet's book of a year or two ago, he describes the party that took place, some arrests and the fire in some detail. I found his writing style casual and very interesting, especially the info regarding his early use of a seaplane, which although initially rebuffed by St Barth authorities, is now allowed, albeit encouraged. It may be the only seaplane allowed to land in the waters adjacent to ST Barths!

I will struggle to summon up some memories from a time that my mind was sometimes fogged by various substances that were enjoyed on vacation on my favorite lil island. Autour Du Rocher was a very fun bar/club located at the end of a dirt road by La Bannane on a high point overlooking Lorient beach. I made a pilgrimmage to the ruins a few years back. There is not much left but if you listened hard you could hear the ghosts of past revellers who liked to stay up late and dance and socialize all night long. On my first visit there I paid a cover, but I noticed that the regulars who came in behind me just smiled and shook the doorman's hand - no cover. I took the time to get to know the doorman,after that, no cover just a handshake - I had arrived!!! Inside Autour was a bar and disco area...the bar was often presided over by the best bartender on Earth - our own beloved Andy - now of Andy's Hideaway. It was not at all unusual to see stars dancing (sometimes on top of the tables) but mostly it was just locals and visitors who lookew like stars having a drink and dancing up a storm. The bar had many different areas all surrounding a large rock, hence the name - Autour Du Rocher - Around the Rock. In addition to the bar and dance floor, there was a boutique, a video area, an outdoor but covered pool table where lively games of two on two took place. Finally, there was a fantastic stone terrace with a steady sea breeze coming in off of Lorient Beach that was a perfect place too enjoy a libation and cool off after dancing. What I remember most was the spirit of the place -much laughter, flirting, great drink and dancing, fantastic people watching and a cast of characters that even if they weren't all movie stars made you feel as if you were in the movies. The only things that I will plead guilty to doing (now that the statute of limitations has long passed) at Autour were some unforgettable steamy dances on the dancefloor and makeout sessions on the breezy terrace with my then girlfriend and now wife and the occasional trip to the parking lot for a tasty hand rolled spliff. I also had the pleasure once of having a dance (not steamy - unfortunately) with the lovely Sela Ward (of "Sisters", "Once and Again" and Sprint commercials) I had the luck and pleasure of meeting her again at a book signing just last week. I reminded her of the evening (she was dating the owner of a place in St. Jean called Topolino at the time). She smiled knowingly..."oh I remember Autour - Jimmy Buffett's bar -it was always such a good time!" I agreed, telling her - "It was my favorite bar in the Caribbean, maybe the world". I was very upset when it met it's fiery end and I still mourn it's loss. I always wanted to know why it couldn't be rebuilt (I heard it was not insured and that many locals did not like what may or may not have gone on there). Thanks for this threadline Digger, I always love going back and remembering those old school St. Barth nights. Next visit, we'll hire a medium and revisit the ruins too summon up the spirits of those wild old days at Autour Du Rocher. Last time I checked, the Rock is still there.

The ruins are still there just a little more weathered every year. There were rumors that it had been purchased and was to be rebuilt. The new owner, of course, David Letterman . . . I've also had at least seventeen different houses pointed out to me that "for sure" belong to the gap toothed one.

Hey Skateboard Phil, thanks for bringing the place to life for me. I now know for sure that I really missed something. Leaving for SBH in 10 days, will try to get Andy to reminisce a little for me. Thanks again.

My pleasure - anyone else have any good old school Autour stories? C'mon Nick?...Andy? You must have some dirt or funny stories from the good/BAD ole days!!! Fess up y'all!!! Andy we're countin on ya. Digger..say Hi to Andy for me. Have a great trip. BTW...please see if you can find out what is going on with Santa Fe in Lurin.

Skateboard...great research and opportunity to reminisce on one big part of SBH history. Autour was my first stop on my first trip to paradise...about 36 years ago, before it got it's infamous reputation. At that time it was operated as a small hotel with restaurant. The bar and open kitchen were around the rock. Grilled lobster...unforgettable. Drinks later in the day at L'Oubli with the local gendarmes playing dice on the bar. Yes, Toto...there's no place like home.

Thanks Skateboard for the history in first person. My wife and I ( both Parrotheads long before the name meant any thing to anyone, Circa 1970) make a point when we are there to take the walk along Lorient, up the hill to Jimmy's old place. I agree that a medium is in order to awaken times past. If you haven't heard it, cut #4 on his new record ( Did I say record? Good God am I dating myself!) puts the hotel and it's history to music in a funky French style.
Thanks again,
71 more days...
Mike

Skateboard Phil: Could you tell me exactly how to access Au Tour du Rocher from Lorient? Would like to visit next trip.

From St. Jean heading into Lorient, take a left at La Bannane, continue on the dirt road past La Bannane up the hill at the end of the point, there she blows...the ruins of Autour du Rocher. Picture a parking lot full of Mokes and Gurgels....

Maybe, but it's a long time ago and my mind was a lil bit foggier back then. Please refresh my memory - who was TK?