For My Fellow SBH Knee Warriors

Jim Kelly-Evans

Senior Insider
I noticed that one or two folks here indicated that they had knee troubles. So this post might intrest those considering surgery. At 74 I had my first total knee replacement (RTKR) this morning at Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia. The procedure went well, apparently. I will have a visit from the surgeon this afternoon. I'll get more details then. So my pain level is quite low still with the anesthesia still having some effect probably. I have an ice pack on the knee. I just had lunch. I had no nausea. I actually woke up in the OR after all the rough stuff was done. So now the recovery begins. I still have to have the other knee done as that is pretty bad also. But one at a time. In the meantime I'm dreaming about the island and looking forward to dropping below the waves once again to visit my fish friends in the beautiful SBH Marine Park. I'll be here in the hospital overnight and hopefully make it home tomorrow. It's another life adventure and bridge to cross.

F7F850F5-3348-4611-86DC-B1E8F97B47FC.jpeg

DCA3C184-C57E-4EF0-A706-84C747BBBB5E.jpeg

Had my LTKR in June of 2021.

Enjoy the relative pain free moments while you can!

Once the good drugs wear off, get ready! I experienced the most intense pain of my life around day 4-5.

I had in-home PT for several months and it went well. Kinda.

My scar tissue behind my knee never really broke up, so I don't have full ROM.

I was actually scheduled for a MUA (manipulation under anesthesia) procedure last Monday but the DR had to cancel. I have not rescheduled, yet.

I had a conversation with a DR friend last Friday. She is a Physical Therapist, working with athletes. I'm going to have a consult with her next Wedneday based on her experiences treating similar issues. I'm hoping to not have to go under to solve my problem.

I wish I had a better outcome to share but I'm sure you'll do fine. It's a HARD recovery. Very hard.

My right knee will need it someday but probably not for a year or two.

Good luck!

The recommendation from our Dr if both knees require replacement they now do both at the same time. My 84 yr old mother had both done and was up on her feet the next day. Do your rehab and I’m sure your knee will be good as new.

Thanks for the kind words, gang.

Just saw my surgeon. He was very happy with the results. Leg is much straighter now less knock knees. There were bone spurs and substantial damage to the knee. Closures are hidden dissolving type underneath with strips on top. No ugly staples! He explained about what I need to do to work on restoring flexibility to the joint. Pain is still not much at all. I am getting Tylenol and antibiotics by IV.

Dennis, sorry to read about your ROM issues. I have read good results from folks who got MUA. Maybe that will help. I know about the impending pain and I will stay ahead of it. I got this!

Best wishes for great recovery Jim ! My late mother in law had her 1st knee done at Pa Hosp when that surgery so new, THE Dr Rothman did hers, so going back about 30 years, she was in the hospital for 2 weeks & vowed to not have the other done, but she did & was there same length of time. How far that surgery has come in the years since her surgeries. My husband had his done separately in Savannah after moving here from Wayne, 1st in April, 2nd that July 15 or 16 years ago. He always took his pain med before going to p/t. His ROM not good on 1 leg, the surgeon changed the brand for the 2nd knee...requires him to sit on right side of plane aisle tho on Sat. he sat on the left aisle. The fish will miss seeing you !

Hi Jim,

Was so good to see you in January on the Island. Congratulations on getting it done, you will feel more pain once the OP meds wear off. PT is brutal. Anita is 8-weeks out and doing well with her 2nd TKR. Praying for a successful recovery and good range of motion.

Hugs,
Bob & Anita

Playing with the new format.

Thought I would check to see how you are progressing, Jim.

Playing with the new format.

Thought I would check to see how you are progressing, Jim.

Thanks for asking, Amy, The bandage is off and I have started out patient rehab and I am making progress. I stopped all of the pain pills last week, I still have swelling in my leg and foot, but it is gradually diminishing. Yesterday I walked over a mile outside. I use a cane for stability but I don't need it to walk. It's a long process to recover from this surgery, but the new knee feels great and it is very stable. I get the other knee done in October. Happy Easter!

Not too bad for two weeks post surgery.

kneesm.jpg

Reactions: JEK
Hi Jim,
Anita is 11-weeks out and doing well. Heading to St.Barts in 5-weeks. Keep up the PT, it is essential to get best range in motion and degree of bend.

Last edited:
Bob, this is terrific news. Cheers for Anita and her hard work to get back in the swing of things.

Hi Jim,
Anita is 11-weeks out and doing well. Heading to St.Barts in 5-weeks. Keep up the PT, it is essential to get best range is motion and degree of bend.

That's great. Bob. Recovery is a slog and progress is slow, but you get there if you keep doing the PT.

Have fun on your next trip to the island!

Jim

An update...Monday will be eight weeks post op. Yesterday I saw my surgeon who was very pleased with my progress. The incision is healed and I'm making progress with range of motion. I think they want 130 degrees so I have more work to do. But even if i don't improve from my current measurement I am able to be fully functional with the new knee. I get the other (left) one done in October. It's no picnic but it's worth it to be able to stand and walk without grinding pain, and hopefully still be able to climb that ladder out of the water onto the dive boat in St Barth!

P1250634.JPG
angle_1684000814103.png