New spot and some oldies

maryella

SBH Insider
I’ve been on the island 2+ weeks now and try and hit the smaller more local places so as not to impact the waistline and wallet so much since I have eaten out every night.
My family arrives in a few days so will hit the big name spots then.

For now some of my favorites:
Happened upon Mi Brasa in Gustavia (down the side street from la creperie) the other night and I was pretty impressed for a spot that has only been open for a week. Beautiful outdoor tropical oasis and under cover dining. Nice bar, good service and prices that won’t break the bank! Pretty busy at the 7:00 opening time.

Of course everyone knows of Le Bananiers, Le Bouchon and Le Repaire. All great as usual. I also tried Le Diamanté, Arawak cafe, La Licorne, La Langouste, La Cantina, L’Entracte and Baz Bar. Good food and service and all my dinners about 55€ with wine!

I really enjoyed Le Diamanté with lots of French families and their kids. Definitely a different vibe. Afterwards caught the sbh vs sxm soccer game at the stadium. Lots of fun and a different side of St Barths.

Thanks for your post, Maryella.

Is Mi Brasa a Portuguese restaurant? Always looking for some new places to try. We’ve been to most of the other establishments except for La Licorne. We really liked Arawak Cafe on our last trip. Le Diamanté has been off the radar for a bit as we experienced a smoky environment the last couple of times we were there, but the food was very good and the service prompt and friendly. Looking forward to more of your posts!

I’ve been on the island 2+ weeks now and try and hit the smaller more local places so as not to impact the waistline and wallet so much since I have eaten out every night.

Happened upon Mi Brasa in Gustavia (down the side street from la creperie) the other night and I was pretty impressed for a spot that has only been open for a week. Beautiful outdoor tropical oasis and under cover dining. Nice bar, good service and prices that won’t break the bank! Pretty busy at the 7:00 opening time.

Of course everyone knows of Le Bananiers, Le Bouchon and Le Repaire. All great as usual. I also tried Le Diamanté, Arawak cafe, La Licorne, La Langouste, La Cantina, L’Entracte and Baz Bar. Good food and service and all my dinners about 55€ with wine!

I really enjoyed Le Diamanté with lots of French families and their kids. Definitely a different vibe. Afterwards caught the sbh vs sxm soccer game at the stadium. Lots of fun and a different side of St Barths.

Very nice to meet you, Maryella, at the SBIPOA luncheon . . . and happy to read of your enjoyment of Mi Brasa. A waiter friend on the island, now at the restaurant, invited me to stop by a week or so ago, just before its opening. I agree . . . it looks like a cheerful, indoor / outdoor oasis. I’ll be eager to try it on my next visit.
7ACFA2BA-AA3A-4EE7-8F19-6E194C54009C.jpg4348AA87-9474-4E6C-A3A1-D4E70FC1D87D.jpg07553749-1FC2-41C8-9E60-78C65CA350A4.jpg4A8B529D-BE8B-4D81-98D8-05A2A186ED34.jpg

I don’t believe that it’s a Portuguese restaurant . . . opened by owner of Bar de l’oubli, I was told that the chef — new to the island — is from Paris.

I didn't realize that Mi Brasa is open! What kind of food did they have?

Another local gem is Le Jardin, across from the airport - food is always delicious.

from an email this morning from one of island agencies:
Mi Brasa : new grill restaurant in St Barth 🔥

New restaurant in St Barth!

Located in Gustavia, in front of the famous "Bar de l'Oubli" and next to the restaurant "Le Select", "Mi Brasa"offers a varied menu with delicious meats prepared on "Josper Grills".

You will also appreciate the numerous mezze and the carefully selected wine list.

Founded by a passionate chef, "Mi Brasa" has further enhanced the culinary offer of St Barths!

https://jospergrill.com/fr/

Did Le Creperie move? If so, when? Last visit it was on the road out of Gustavia ("Rue du Roi Oscar II" on the map)

La Diamante has been a dinner for us for many years. Always leave satisfied with the food, service and price.

Great read, and great low-cost choices! I've always said that if you want to save a few bucks then eat where the locals eat. Way back when I first started coming to St Barth the only one of those names that existed was La Langouste, which was then just below Le Calvaire, the crucifix on the high road out of town. I don't think that Le Repaire existed back then.

Thanks for the report on Mi Brasa. I've been waiting to hear about that place. Until your post I didn't have as much as the name.

La Diamant, or La Diamante? I've always thought that it is La Diamant, without the "e".

Great read, and great low-cost choices! I've always said that if you want to save a few bucks then eat where the locals eat. Way back when I first started coming to St Barth the only one of those names that existed was La Langouste, which was then just below Le Calvaire, the crucifix on the high road out of town. I don't think that Le Repaire existed back then.

Thanks for the report on Mi Brasa. I've been waiting to hear about that place. Until your post I didn't have as much as the name.

La Diamant, or La Diamante? I've always thought that it is La Diamant, without the "e".
Please don’t quote me on spelling. I usually post these after a few 🍷