Water Production is Restarting

KevinS

Senior Insider
From SAUR via the Collectivité:

As the swell has subsided, the SIDEM desalination plant is gradually restarting.
Water production remains lower than the island's consumption.

SAUR makes every effort to best distribute the debits received by SIDEM.

Gustavia and Lurin are in water, Anse des Cayes, Flamand, Colombier, Corossol in the process of reopening.
Depending on consumption, St Jean could be replenished.

Let's be reasoned in our consumption.

Latest update:

CUT: swell episode still in progress

The SIDEM desalination plant currently produces 120m3/h of water for an overall consumption of the island of 190m3/h.

In order to distribute the flows received, SAUR ST BARTH will cut off the water supply of Colombier/Flamand/Corossol/Lurin so as to supply St Jean to the Oasis.

A new press release will be released on Sunday morning.

Progress.

WATER SHORTAGE :
The sectors of Saline and part of Grand Fond are replenished with water. Corossol is also being opened.
The SIDEM desalination plant is being restarted and will be able to produce more water by noon.
SAUR will therefore be able to gradually replenish the island today.

With ever more houses on the island it seems more rely on city water than cisterns these days. Is that really the case now?
Hard to imagine not having a cistern on St Barth, but perhaps that’s just me.

the other issue is that they simply can not meet the need... and there are hundreds of building permits dotting the landscape... where is the water going to come from.. keep building de-sal plants?

the other issue is that they simply can not meet the need... and there are hundreds of building permits dotting the landscape... where is the water going to come from.. keep building de-sal plants?

I’m understanding, Ellen, of “hundreds of building permits dotting the landscape.” But, I think that it’s important to examine the permits.

In a conversation on Sunday with a leading residential real estate broker, in conversation w it’s him, I “drilled down” on this number. His understanding was explained in part, for example, by his experience of being required to have two building permits to expand an existing deck at his house — three feet on one side, & two feet on another side.

I’m, thus, suspicious about the meaning of the oft-quoted number of building permits. How does one drill down to understand what really is in issue?

I’m understanding, Ellen, of “hundreds of building permits dotting the landscape.” But, I think that it’s important to examine the permits.

In a conversation on Sunday with a leading residential real estate broker, in conversation w it’s him, I “drilled down” on this number. His understanding was explained in part, for example, by his experience of being required to have two building permits to expand an existing deck at his house — three feet on one side, & two feet on another side.

I’m, thus, suspicious about the meaning of the oft-quoted number of building permits. How does one drill down to understand what really is in issue?

Very good point, but if you read the permits one sees by the side of the road, many are for new construction. And some on very small lots; some for six apartments where in the old days there would have been 1 house. Even if a third is new construction and 2/3 are extensions or modifications, there is still a lot of building going on. All of which puts a strain on the already under-performing water and electrical infrastructure. And "hundreds" was a bit of hyperbole on my part, sorry about that.. but you get my point.