In-Out Season Cost Difference

cassidain

Senior Insider
A recent thread made me wonder: what are the differences in trip costs to Saint-Barth between off-season and on-season ?

The villas are certainly more. Maybe 50% more. Car rental is some more too. Not really sure if airfares in the current pricing environment are different ??? Restaurants and dining and misc expenses I assume are the same ? What am I leaving out ?

Both flights back from SXM to Miami, on Sunday, Feb 26, in back of plane are $2,100. Insane. Summer not much better at the moment.

Both flights back from SXM to Miami, on Sunday, Feb 26, in back of plane are $2,100. Insane. Summer not much better at the moment.

IDK, I just did a search for BOS-SXM and it's around $800/PP round trip with a bag for the end of June (not what it used to be, but no where near as bad as $2,100 in one direction). I maintain that Feb 26th is the end of winter break and many families who will be dashing back to the US just in time for the kids to be back at school on Feb 27th.

Boston is usually very cheap to SXM. I looked at it last July and it was like $450 bucks each way in MINT !!! But, yes, what you said makes sense.

BTW, I just found a Trans Anguilla Airways charter for $950 & two first class tickets for only 20K miles on American Airlines to Miami on the 26th. So $425 for a private plane and first class. No idea the reliability of Trans Anguilla but if it works out, it's a grand slam.

Boston is usually very cheap to SXM. I looked at it last July and it was like $450 bucks each way in MINT !!! But, yes, what you said makes sense.

I ended up paying over $1,100 pp one way from SXM to BOS on 11/26/22 (Saturday after Thanksgiving). We decided on Thanksgiving this past year vs winter break this year (2/18/23-2/25/23) because the flights were over the top expensive. We didn't want our daughter missing too much school, and in the end she still ended up missing 5 days as we had to stretch out our travel dates a few days to take advantage of cheaper flights. Should have just traveled to SXM on some random weak in January.

I'm not up to speed on travel costs from MIA to SXM. Not sure why they would be so high.... but I understand where you are coming from.

I ended up paying over $1,100 pp one way from SXM to BOS on 11/26/22 (Saturday after Thanksgiving). We decided on Thanksgiving this past year vs winter break this year (2/18/23-2/25/23) because the flights were over the top expensive. We didn't want our daughter missing too much school, and in the end she still ended up missing 5 days as we had to stretch out our travel dates a few days to take advantage of cheaper flights. Should have just traveled to SXM on some random weak in January.

I'm not up to speed on travel costs from MIA to SXM. Not sure why they would be so high.... but I understand where you are coming from.

The planes are basically full, so these are the last 2-3 seats on each of these flights through SXM. The loss of the Jet Blue flight for South Florida is factoring in.

The planes are basically full, so these are the last 2-3 seats on each of these flights through SXM. The loss of the Jet Blue flight for South Florida is factoring in.

Agreed. And beyond that, I suspect these are the prices at which they are willing to oversubscribe the flight and bump someone else out of their seat. Never be the last to check in or to get to the airport on those busy holiday weeks.

I am attempting to book flights for Thanksgiving 2023 for my family and it's insane flying out of both BOS and EWR. I never book this early, but I am afraid flights will get even more expensive as that's what I've witnessed for this winter. I checked flying to SJU and Tradewinds and that's even more $$$.

On top of crazy airfare, our favorite villa is now $4k/week more for Thanksgiving week. It's not quite high season rates, but not too far off. Agencies must be confident that renters will absorb the increases.

I am attempting to book flights for Thanksgiving 2023 for my family and it's insane flying out of both BOS and EWR. I never book this early, but I am afraid flights will get even more expensive as that's what I've witnessed for this winter. I checked flying to SJU and Tradewinds and that's even more $$$.

On top of crazy airfare, our favorite villa is now $4k/week more for Thanksgiving week. It's not quite high season rates, but not too far off. Agencies must be confident that renters will absorb the increases.

I am sure they are. After nearly 40 years, we are nearly priced out. I give it 10 more years or very short trips.

That made me sad to read, Eve. That little rock brings you and Jim so much joy!
I’m sure we can figure it out. Lol!! When the kids were young, the choice was buy clothes or save your life/marriage and go to St Barth

I am reminded of a lyric. Title will come to me, but not yet.

NOTHING LASTS FOREVER, ALWAYS IS A LIE.

Things and places change and some will decide to look for new destinations to fit their personal needs. I remain Thankful that this small island continues to be our happy place.

Just checked a random week in late June early July, from Miami to SXM.....$1088 round trip in Economy. Add on St Barth Commuter and you are at $1350 in flights. Something is going on at SXM.... So with that, and plenty of research, i'm ready to declare Tradewind a much cheaper option than SXM at this point and it's really not close.

Just checked a random week in late June early July, from Miami to SXM.....$1088 round trip in Economy. Add on St Barth Commuter and you are at $1350 in flights. Something is going on at SXM....
You want a jetway? Someone has to pay for it!

I just did a quick search and the flight direct back to BOS on Jet Blue was $1,450 pp one way..... nuts (I used to budget $1k/pp round trip).

I found it difficult to find a villa that wasn't charging high season rates for Thanksgiving this past year. This trend seems to have started well before Covid so I can understand.... however, I did notice that some rental agencies were charging high season rates for villas over Thanksgiving while others were charging low season rates for the same villa. Not sure what was exactly happening here. Both companies said their pricing was correct. If that was true, the rental agency was pocketing the difference. We ended up booking a different villa anyway. I just found it odd.

I am in the process of outlining a possible trip to warm weather next January (can't do Thanksgiving or any school holidays as flights are too expensive)..... not sure where we will end up, but SBH was low on the list as I am looking for somewhere directly on a swimmable beach without much driving around to get such a beach (I'm finding driving/parking to be too stressful on SBH.... since I'm the one that has to do it.... and plan each daily activity). Difficult to guage prices this early, but lodging rates are making SBH look cheap (not counting the flight costs). So I'm sure owners are justified in raising their rates.

You want a jetway? Someone has to pay for it!

First, I don't give a ....... about a jetway. I just want the second floor open. I don't care if I have to walk up there.

Second, isn't that why they are insured?

Third, I get it.... grab all you can while the grabbing is good.

We've been traveling to Punta Mita, Mexico the past few years. There is a St Regis property that is wonderful. My wife travels for work almost weekly and racks up the Bonvoy and AA points.

However, next month, we are heading to Cancun to stay at a Kempinski property. It was a Ritz Carlton for many years and Kempinski bought it last fall.

Excellent reviews on TA. We are going for 6 nights, 4 paid for with AMEX points. Flights paid for with AA miles. Easy NS flights from Austin.

This is just a lay on the beach until it's time to dine vacation, so it suits us fine.

Doing nothing is a valid vacation vocation.. Little practice needed when learning and mastering this art of doing nothing.

We've been traveling to Punta Mita, Mexico the past few years. There is a St Regis property that is wonderful. My wife travels for work almost weekly and racks up the Bonvoy and AA points.

However, next month, we are heading to Cancun to stay at a Kempinski property. It was a Ritz Carlton for many years and Kempinski bought it last fall.

Excellent reviews on TA. We are going for 6 nights, 4 paid for with AMEX points. Flights paid for with AA miles. Easy NS flights from Austin.

This is just a lay on the beach until it's time to dine vacation, so it suits us fine.

Can we trade wives? Mine absolutely refuses to go to Mexico.... she it too scared that she will be robbed or something. I don't get it..... but then again, she doesn't have to pay anything when we go away, so it's no skin off her back.