What delectable dish or presentation do you miss from those restaurants of yore?

amyb

Senior Insider
In any event no cassoulet or cassolette!

This would be on my most missed list along with Grandma’s, Nona’s, eggplant parmigiana at PaCri, and Maya’s oven roasted cauliflower with truffles served with her veal chop. Phil would probably most miss Maya’s chocolate cake and her tomato and mango salad and Manu’s Tomato Tarte served at Santa Fe.

On just about everyone’s is list The original Hotel Toiny’s Le Gaiac’s signature dish of truffled spaghetti prepared in the Parmesan wheel. There isn’t a time of food reminiscing that this dish is not mentioned,

61B32830-9E6B-4A48-8AD4-92CB613A0254.jpeg

Dõ Brazil’s Moqueca.
Harbour Saladerie’s duck
Isle de France’s (duck fat-fried) frites
…I could go on.
:cool:

Two dishes - The Cassolette from La Gloriette, and the Grenouilettes from Wall House (and later Le Carré).

Two dishes - The Cassolette from La Gloriette, and the Grenouilettes from Wall House (and later Le Carré).

Yes to both Kevin. The faux frog legs were a treat. I miss seeing frog legs on the menus. Last regular offering was Manu’s at Santa Fe…oh the butter and oh the garlic and oh the fresh sliced baguettes to enjoy sopping up everything until the last drop. Sensational! Jean-Claude of L’Esprit offers them every once in a while as a special. Not traditional sauce Provencal, but still very good. And Fouquet’s offers them off the bone in a basil garlic purée.

Adam served his foie gras with an Austrian sweet wine that was perfect. Poulet de Bresse was often on the menu too - haven’t seen it since.

Boy oh boy! Doesn’t this menu (& its prices!) carry me back to so many happy years at “my office” . . . and my friendship with Albert & his family. With deference to all of my great restaurant friends today — and amazing offerings from them — the days of La Gloriette & Cocoloba were a unique time on SBH. Not known, IMO, today. Thanks, John, for this flashback,

I also loved that Tarte aux Tomates at Santa Fé - - so delicious.

I know this sounds pedestrian, but Bar de L'Oublie used to make the most perfect cheeseburger. I looked forward to it on every trip. It was ground fresh, hand formed and always cooked just the way I liked it - almost rare in the middle. Then, a few years ago they changed it, and definitely not for the better. It's a shame.

I also loved that Tarte aux Tomates at Santa Fé - - so delicious.

I know this sounds pedestrian, but Bar de L'Oublie used to make the most perfect cheeseburger. I looked forward to it on every trip. It was ground fresh, hand formed and always cooked just the way I liked it - almost rare in the middle. Then, a few years ago they changed it, and definitely not for the better. It's a shame.

The hamburger issue, Tiffany, brings to mind my “like” of steak tartare. There is a small number of places on SBH that I trust to have ground beef that’s healthy for raw consumption . . . and look forward to its seasoned preparation. A great one is offered at Le Repaire. Right up there with it is Santa Fe. Le Roof Top also “rings the bell.” Sorry that Bar de L’Oublie changed its for ula for your perfect cheeseburger!

I have been a member for a long time, I usually lurk, so very rarely post on this site...but all of these "memory" threads have me going. There was a dish at Do Brazil that was absolutely delicious, that I've asked restauranteurs in NYC to re-create that no one can. It was a mahi mahi carpaccio w a waffle, and a scoop of herbed coconut cream...I actually found the photo of it. Sublime.

I also loved Maya's Thanksgiving meals - I don't eat turkey and always had dover sole, accompanied by that scoop of mashed squash.

And I miss toes-in-the-sand Boubou's. Always fun, he was such a fixture!