What delectable dish or presentation do you miss from those restaurants of yore?

Hi Amy,
I enjoyed the frog legs at L'Esprit on our final dinner of our trip last week. They were delicious!

On our first trip circa 2001, on our second night on the island, we were tuned away from Eden Rock because I didn't have a jacket. We happened on Sapotillier with no reservation. Adam put us at the table in front of the kitchen window. I had fois gras with the aforementioned wine. It remains one of my favorite dishes of all time. My bride had the Bresse Chicken and Au gratin potatoes. I have tried to replicate those potatoes many times without approaching success. Our then ten year old son's favorite meal was Manu's Escargot followed by his Coca Cola Ribs and frites. No offense to the Disney people but SB is the happiest place on earth.

While dining at Le Toiny I counted two men in sport jackets. Also counted 12 drop dead gorgeously dressed and bejeweled women. (One of whom was accompanied by a chap in sneakers,shorts, a sweatshirt and a baseball cap.)

The sayings TO EACH HIS OWN and ANYTH8NG GOES seem to apply.

That’s pretty funny . . . wouldn’t happen today!

I’ve never heard of any place at anytime with jacket required. Long pants, yes! I took a blue blazer along on our first trip and never wore it once!

While dining at Le Toiny I counted two men in sport jackets. Also counted 12 drop dead gorgeously dressed and bejeweled women. (One of whom was accompanied by a chap in sneakers,shorts, a sweatshirt and a baseball cap.)

The sayings TO EACH HIS OWN and ANYTH8NG GOES seem to apply.

Amy, I so agree with you about the baseball cap, whether man or woman, & no matter where, leave it in the car or at home. One of my peeves too ! Fine dining at the Inn at Palmetto Bluff in our town of Bluffton, years ago, within view was an otherwise decently dressed 30 something man with his female companion...the maitre d did nothing so that man stood out like the 'elephant in the room' which was elegant Southern then & still is, now a Montage resort, so dinner there might be $17K including the hotel or cottage nights.

Can’t leave the cap at home - de rigueur for a Ti Punch at Le Select!

I had 100 of these made for the 60th. Already packed for the next trip!

4FFA1029-A305-4546-8C0B-F185CE67C86F.jpg

I’ve never heard of any place at anytime with jacket required. Long pants, yes! I took a blue blazer along on our first trip and never wore it once!

Les Castelets claimed to require a jacket. I was the only one there wearing one on the night that we went. That was probably 1989, and I haven’t brought a jacket since.

Maybe not exactly on point, but I remember the porch at the bakery in Colombier before the restaurant next door started. We used to love to sit out there with a pastry and coffee. I developed Celiac disease a few years ago so I miss far more than just the porch.

Les Castelets claimed to require a jacket. I was the only one there wearing one on the night that we went. That was probably 1989, and I haven’t brought a jacket since.
That wax exactly my experience. Walked in, took it off and put it back in the car.

The jackets at Toiny were NOT required. It was a very windy night and the men chose to wear them.

I could have used a light jacket or pashmina.

The protective shades that we requested to be lowered were magically descended after the wine glasses blew over. No guest was harmed but several serviettes turned red and purple and I surmise gave their lives.

John, not to fret as those caps are perfect for outdoor dining and Select appropriate, IMHO.

... and T buttons his jacket when he stands up :nerd:

the carrot after showing the stick was a nice touch too

Funny that you happened to post this photo now, John . . . as I was considering what delectable dish I most miss, I was thinking that it has to be something from La Gloriette. And then Albert & Sandra pop onto the screen. Kismet!

Re: "delectable" . . . I'm torn between Maya's filet mignon and La Gloriette's broiled lobster with frites.