One meal in St Barts

JeffB

Wife and I are coming on a cruise, and we're stopping in St Barts Jan 30. Where should we go for lunch (and what should we order?) on what may be our only meal in St Barts ever?

We're both foodies and semi-adventurous culinarily. Price isn't the major concern, but we don't have to go high-end. Is there anything unique to St Barts that everyone who visits should try?

Your ship tender will drop you in Gustavia. Shop in Gustavia in the morning (most places open around 10 and its a fairly long tender ride) and take a taxi to the Sand Bar for lunch at the Eden Rock Hotel. They take reservations - make one. Beachfront setting, great food and service. You will get the beach scene, windsurfers and the planes coming and going from the airport. Quintessential St. Barths. They can also get you a cab back to town. If you feel ambitious, the car rental places will deliver to the tender port if you reserve in advance.

Many ships stay late in SBH. You might have an option for dinner as well. I’d favor lunch on the beach somewhere and dinner in town if you have the time. Ship tours - typically things like quad bike ride and submarine ride are not needed.

Your ship tender will drop you in Gustavia. Shop in Gustavia in the morning (most places open around 10 and its a fairly long tender ride) and take a taxi to the Sand Bar for lunch at the Eden Rock Hotel. They take reservations - make one. Beachfront setting, great food and service. You will get the beach scene, windsurfers and the planes coming and going from the airport. Quintessential St. Barths. They can also get you a cab back to town. If you feel ambitious, the car rental places will deliver to the tender port if you reserve in advance.

Many ships stay late in SBH. You might have an option for dinner as well. I’d favor lunch on the beach somewhere and dinner in town if you have the time. Ship tours - typically things like quad bike ride and submarine ride are not needed.
Perfect. I was going to recommend [h=2]L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon Saint Barth however Sand Bar is one of our favorites.[/h]

I’m with you. I’d say Robuchon Roof Top if one was to stay in Gustavia! I think Shellona on Shell Beach is pretty good too if you want to stay in/near Gustavia. They also take reservations and you can walk there. The food is good - the whole grilled fish is always good. In late January you are past the festive season stuff/nonsense there. Probably the best beachside/in town option. To the original poster’s core question, there is something about an elegant/elevated day time lunch that is very St. Barths. Menus for all these places are on line

I’m with you. I’d say Robuchon Roof Top if one was to stay in Gustavia! . . . /QUOTE]

Eden Rock as a luncheon venue is a great suggestion. If the day extends into cocktail hour, but not dinner, Le Roof Top at L’Atelier Robuchon would be a stunning transition to returning to the ship. Beautiful sunset spot & extraordinary cocktail / hors d’oeuvre setting.

Lots of good suggestions above, however, as foodies you might want to hike up the hill to Fouquets where I had one of the best meals of our current trip: rigatoni served in a black truffle cream sauce. You also get to enjoy the spectacular high up view of Gustavia harbor while dining. Enjoy your visit!

I would take a cab (plan that in advance) to the Toiny Beach Club. It’s a beautiful toes in the sand lunch and the food is amazing. Their signature black truffle pasta is my favorite.

if you don’t leave Gustavia, I agree with Robuchon Rooftop.

I agree with Tiffany..............take a cab to beach restaurant or a place with a view.

For a beautiful beach experience, hit up St. Jean Bay and go to Nikki Beach or the Sandbar. I think the former has better food, but the latter has a better view. And you can go for a dip mid-meal.

Or go to up Lurin and hit up Santa Fe. Don't let the name scare you, it's French through and through. The view is killer (very high above the sea. You can't see the beach, but it's a 180 degree view of nothing but water and distant islands. Food is sublime.

The island is so small that any of the above are a 10 minute ride from Gustavia

These are all good suggestions-especially Santa Fe. To really do it right, however, I would suggest you bring your luggage with you on the tender and leave the cruise ship for good! Find a nice villa, move in and really enjoy the SBH experience.

Up the hill to Santa Fe, or for the beach by cab, Le Toiny Beach Club or a sleeper La Langouste in Flamands.

Many good suggestions, but some seem to miss this point:

Isn't a "to each their own" question?

Lots of folks love Select. I don't. There's nothing wrong with it, but unless you buy into the mythology, it's nothing special A place like that exists in every beach town everywhere. Telling a first timer to go there to get the feel of the island will give them a strange impression I think.

To me St Barts is more about a great meal with a great view than it is a Carib and gas fumes with a view of a traffic jam.

Isn't a "to each their own" question?

Lots of folks love Select. I don't. There's nothing wrong with it, but unless you buy into the mythology, it's nothing special A place like that exists in every beach town everywhere. Telling a first timer to go there to get the feel of the island will give them a strange impression I think.

To me St Barts is more about a great meal with a great view than it is a Carib and gas fumes with a view of a traffic jam.
7E8312D5-402F-427B-9573-1ECA0A81AB09.jpeg

These are all good suggestions-especially Santa Fe. To really do it right, however, I would suggest you bring your luggage with you on the tender and leave the cruise ship for good! Find a nice villa, move in and really enjoy the SBH experience.

Our 1st trip to SBH was on 1 of our 1st Windstar trips long ago, in the early 80's, which led to us returning & returning always renting villas. That 1 day was just enough after visiting many of the other Caribbean islands as well as the Out Islands of the Bahamas & renting houses...seeing a multitude of islands that just didn't strike the right chord as SBH did.