Thread: BRIGADOON or SAHARA SAND EFFECTS

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 29,701

BRIGADOON or SAHARA SAND EFFECTS

I was not sure if I should continue the existing LAND HO thread or if it is better to begin anew. Obviously, I chose to start a fresh thread.

Just a few short days ago, I was reporting that the phenomena called the Sahara Sands was abating and that the islands of Saba, Eustatia and St Kitts usually visible from Lurin were finally reappearing. Well, it was either a mirage, a wishful thinking sighting, or the magic of a rare Brigadoon effect. They never really stood out clearly and today begins another day where I can not see past my wooded boundary to even the water. Thankfully, it is not the Bucket Race season.

The direction of the blowing sand tracks with the sargassum pathway…moving left to right, west to east, or from St Kitts toward Saba. It is most irritating to eyes and throats. And I am told asthma patients develop respiratory
    troubles when the sands are moving across here.

So folks, yet another fly in the ointment. Nature happens. The winds bring this fine yellow sand and dust all the way here from Africa. What to do? I choose to stay indoors and read and Phil has world wide chats to enjoy as he operates from his recently set up ham radio station.

But we are here. The sun comes up and we get to enjoy our time MASTERING THE ART OF DOING NOTHING. All is not perfect in paradise, but we deal with it, complain about it, and count our blessings that we still can share our days being on St Barths.

So I gaze at the foggy view, take a moment or two and take the time to count my blessings and to be thankful for life’s good things, the friendships, each other, and the health to enjoy and the forum where I get to sound off from time to time.
    Bottom line…
    Life is good and
    Ahh, St Barths!
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 45,732

Re: BRIGADOON or SAHARA SAND EFFECTS

See Air Quality Alert above

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2015 Martinsville, NJ Posts: 2,393

It is an unfortunate situation that Mother Nature throws at Paradise. That being said, you and Phil have the right attitude about it and are making lemonade out of lemons. There is much to be read and many conversations to be had. Thank you for the update, Amy, and keep enjoying each other. You and Phil are role models for couples everywhere!

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 7,885

“. . . the time to count my blessings and to be thankful for life’s good things, the friendships, each other, and the health to enjoy . . ..” Very well said, Amy! And in “good things,” I expect that you include, as I do, finding pleasure in dining on SBH — the gamut of gastronomy, venues, and friends in frequented-restaurants helps to mitigate flaws in a Paradise-like world.

Your post is spot on Dennis.

The food and the fine victuals and meats and poultry Phil has discovered at various markets has been a treat. The BBQ grill is a wonderful invention!

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2010 New England Posts: 4,416

Take care of yourselves and thanks for keeping us posted. Go Phis with his Ham Station. Is Voosh still on the air?

Voosh is keeping busy with his growing family and not able to get on air like he wants to do.

Taking it one day at a time and enjoying things St Barth.

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2012 Florida Posts: 113

The Sahara Sands wreak havoc on my allergies, but I happily accept them as the one major benefit is less likelihood of hurricanes as they shade the sea from the intense equatorial sun. They also drop valuable nutrients to feed land and sea life.

Important to clean ac filters frequently. You would be amazed at the amount of dust that accumulates in them.