Day #9 C&C

Cwater

Senior Insider
Day #9. A weather event that we do not look forward to however being here for 2 weeks can’t complain. Walk along the beach at Flamands however only 1/2 way before the rain started. Columbier bakery for fun stuff then back to the villa where we spent the rest of the day swimming sleeping, eating leftovers and Wimbledon. What is it with this Kyrgios? Why do they even allow him to compete? You can’t hold one person to a different standard that you do everyone else. And when did Johnny Mac become the conscious of what’s proper in tennis? Then off to dinner at the Sand Bar. Parked in the lot off of Pearl and walked to dinner. No rain yet had the umbrella handy. Needed to go to the rest room when we arrived to wash my feet from the sand. Food was amazing. Scallops for appetizer and pizza for dinner along with a wonderful bottle of Pouilly Fuisse. Sorry Phil. The most amazing chocolate mousse for desert and the service was incredible. Walking back to the car through the ocean we reflected on 35 years of visiting St. Barth especially our favorite beach. Through Filao and Emaraude Plage. The scars of Irma still haunt the Plage. We would night walk and the lights were bright along the beach. We remember when Emaraude Plage brought out the gigantic white planters when they created Eppy. Dont’ worry be eppy. Then we viisted for 5 days in2018. Walking along the beach back then total darkness. All we could see were the cranes at Eden Rock. St. Barth has certainly made a come back and we are glad to be here once again. We will go to the fair tomorrow and look for the SNSM team to support them as per Kevins suggestion. Sleep well St. Barth friends and see you on the beach

Day #9. A weather event that we do not look forward to however being here for 2 weeks can’t complain. Walk along the beach at Flamands however only 1/2 way before the rain started. Columbier bakery for fun stuff then back to the villa where we spent the rest of the day swimming sleeping, eating leftovers and Wimbledon. What is it with this Kyrgios? Why do they even allow him to compete? You can’t hold one person to a different standard that you do everyone else. And when did Johnny Mac become the conscious of what’s proper in tennis? Then off to dinner at the Sand Bar. Parked in the lot off of Pearl and walked to dinner. No rain yet had the umbrella handy. Needed to go to the rest room when we arrived to wash my feet from the sand. Food was amazing. Scallops for appetizer and pizza for dinner along with a wonderful bottle of Pouilly Fuisse. Sorry Phil. The most amazing chocolate mousse for desert and the service was incredible. Walking back to the car through the ocean we reflected on 35 years of visiting St. Barth especially our favorite beach. Through Filao and Emaraude Plage. The scars of Irma still haunt the Plage. We would night walk and the lights were bright along the beach. We remember when Emaraude Plage brought out the gigantic white planters when they created Eppy. Dont’ worry be eppy. Then we viisted for 5 days in2018. Walking along the beach back then total darkness. All we could see were the cranes at Eden Rock. St. Barth has certainly made a come back and we are glad to be here once again. We will go to the fair tomorrow and look for the SNSM team to support them as per Kevins suggestion. Sleep well St. Barth friends and see you on the beach

So many years in which to note changes! Congratulations on your successful return . . . enjoying so many great spots, with valuable “color” passed to those reading from afar! (I’m eager to read your report on Le Rivage,)

I do love the enthusiasm and detailed reporting, but I must say the lack of correctly honoring some notable island features is troubling. I may not spell every island name correctly as I type, but I feel a responsibilty to double check before I post for posterity.

Much more on this subject here.
Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 8.52.50 PM.jpg

John . . . I know that you’re correct today — “There is no apostrophe in Lorient” — but there was a time when there was an apostrophe in the name, & I was there for it. In my sentimental attachment to “the good ol’ days,” thus, I still occasionally insert it — simply romantically clinging to memories of a simpler time that brought me to love St. Barths. (Of course, our friend Ellen, in a sense of political correctness (LOL!), continues to scold me “there’s no apostrophe in the name” & “I don’t know where you get ‘St. Barths’— it doesn’t make any sense.”) Can an old dog be taught new tricks?

Can we just agree that there is no U in Colombier? I did some research on the Lorient name and apparently there was no apostrophe 200 years ago. Just how far back do you go? :laughing-cry:

I little more recently in Porter Henery's time on the island - 1969 - it was still Lorient.

Can we just agree that there is no U in Colombier? I did some research on the Lorient name and apparently there was no apostrophe 200 years ago. Just how far back do you go? :laughing-cry:

LOL! Total agreement on COLOMBIER . . . won’t give up on the apostrophe, however. Wendy & I agree on road signs in 1978 that announced the village of L’Orient. Maybe one day I’ll find a photo. Meanwhile, I”m happy to allow that you may insist on your point “til the cows come home.” It’s what civilized people do!

When we did paper weekly newsletters at the karate studio one of my favorite moms who taught English would always send them back with red markers for correct spelling. Feedback is always welcome. JEK I hope you are enjoying the reporting as much as I am. I look forward to reading my reports and others as well in February while the ice and snow blanket New York

We often times refer newbies to the search feature when they are looking for information. If what they are searching for is spelled incorrectly within posts all the valuable information available here won’t be found. It simply takes a pass at Google to get the proper (current) spelling. Typos are one thing, laziness is another. SBH Insiders can (and should) do better.

The important thing is that you are having a good time, but some of your malapropisms do make me chuckle... such as Bar Oublier - Chevalier Blanc - Grand de Sel -

to add to JEK's spelling lesson it was Emeraude Plage (Emeraude being the French word for emerald...) and
St. Martaan is actually Sint Maarten for the Dutch side and Saint Martin for the French side of that duo-national island.

as for Lorient, I don't recall an apostrophe in my time, nor does Rosemond who has been here since 1958, but to confuse matters there is a store in Lorient called L'Oriental Boutique....

as for the s in St Barts or St Barths, totally invented by the US press - here it's simply St Barth, short for St Barthélemy

"c.u. on the beech" and keep having fun!