Ouch! A cautionary tale.

GramChop

Senior Insider
TopLoc is cracking down on the little scratches.

0D0E1E2B-5C21-46BE-9DF1-E360F4F5A4A0.jpeg

F1803D93-857E-4F2F-8CC4-C60430BAFB3B.jpeg

E9131305-A2EF-47A6-B20D-B56CBFBBAF97.jpeg

:sad1:

yeah... I had a similar issue

I noticed when I picked up the car this time that the checkout wasn't walking around the car and marking the blemishes on the form. Instead they took pictures of every ding and scratch. I embellished a spot where there had already been some scuffs. In the old days (2 years ago), no one would have noticed as the form would have a mark on the little diagram of the car in the same spot. Now they compare before and after pictures. A way to enhance revenue as I strongly doubt that the little scratch you added will be repaired in any way.

As a side note, interesting to see that the hourly rate for painting labor is EUR 70.

Know what you’re buying. Insurance is good, understanding your deductible is great. Insurance with a €500 or €1000 deductible wouldn’t have been much use to Missy for a €256.50 repair.

I have Primary insurance through a credit card. If I were to do minor damage to a car, something in the range of Missy’s €256.50 then I would likely pay cash for the damage. If I were to have a car hit by a cement truck and totaled then I would rely on my credit card.

I wonder if the rental car company will actually use the "scratch" money to repair the vehicle???

I feel your pain, Missy. I had similar “ding” on my front bumper and similar estimate when there in February. It’s those darn high curb- ROCKS in parking lot in front of Zion…. I will say the rental cars used to have more bruises when we picked them up and recently they are spotless. I’m considering insurance in July. Glad the rest of your trip was flawless! :D

Nan-and those trees and stone walls that leap out at you are known to do damage too.

See you soon.
Amy

The turn from LIGNE St. Barth in Lorient to the main road…always gets me. I think I will take before and after pics this time…once when I pick up and once when I return to avoid any shenanigans.

I feel your pain, Missy. I had similar “ding” on my front bumper and similar estimate when there in February. It’s those darn high curb- ROCKS in parking lot in front of Zion…. I will say the rental cars used to have more bruises when we picked them up and recently they are spotless. I’m considering insurance in July. Glad the rest of your trip was flawless! :D
I had the insurance. Still had to pay the $270.53 for the ding. It was truly a sucky way to end a truly fantastic visit.

The turn from LIGNE St. Barth in Lorient to the main road…always gets me. I think I will take before and after pics this time…once when I pick up and once when I return to avoid any shenanigans.
Along with my own photos, TopLoc took photos and video at pickup and emailed them to me as I pulled out of the parking lot. The only shenanigan potential in this situation is whether or not the money I paid will actually go to repair the ding. I choose to trust that it will. I may never know, but it makes me feel better.

Todd did a minor paint chip/ding on the rear bumper with the Gumbs car. We had the CDW insurance on it. They wanted $100 still so he paid it.

Isn't that under the CDW's deductible?

I haven’t ever checked the CDW deductible at all of the agencies, or at any agency in many years. When I did check a few, I found €500/€1000 deductibles. It would be nice to know what others find.