Thread: Ouch! A cautionary tale.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 18,105

Ouch! A cautionary tale.

TopLoc is cracking down on the little scratches.

Name:  0D0E1E2B-5C21-46BE-9DF1-E360F4F5A4A0.jpeg
Views: 821
Size:  307.7 KB

Name:  F1803D93-857E-4F2F-8CC4-C60430BAFB3B.jpeg
Views: 805
Size:  345.0 KB

Name:  E9131305-A2EF-47A6-B20D-B56CBFBBAF97.jpeg
Views: 794
Size:  231.4 KB

The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2010 Nuevo York Posts: 773

Re: Ouch! A cautionary tale.

yeah... I had a similar issue

I noticed when I picked up the car this time that the checkout wasn't walking around the car and marking the blemishes on the form. Instead they took pictures of every ding and scratch. I embellished a spot where there had already been some scuffs. In the old days (2 years ago), no one would have noticed as the form would have a mark on the little diagram of the car in the same spot. Now they compare before and after pictures. A way to enhance revenue as I strongly doubt that the little scratch you added will be repaired in any way.

As a side note, interesting to see that the hourly rate for painting labor is EUR 70.

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,673

Does insurance cover any of that? I always get insurance and don’t know why

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 22,006

Know what you’re buying. Insurance is good, understanding your deductible is great. Insurance with a €500 or €1000 deductible wouldn’t have been much use to Missy for a €256.50 repair.

I have Primary insurance through a credit card. If I were to do minor damage to a car, something in the range of Missy’s €256.50 then I would likely pay cash for the damage. If I were to have a car hit by a cement truck and totaled then I would rely on my credit card.

SBH Member Joined: Sep 2017 Richmond, Va Posts: 84

I wonder if the rental car company will actually use the "scratch" money to repair the vehicle???
    Chiz
    Richmond, VA

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,673

Absolutely not

Quote Originally Posted by chiz View Post
    I wonder if the rental car company will actually use the "scratch" money to repair the vehicle???
    I wonder that, too.

However, it matters not if they do or they don’t; I still have to pay it.

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2013 Davidson, NC Posts: 107

I feel your pain, Missy. I had similar “ding” on my front bumper and similar estimate when there in February. It’s those darn high curb- ROCKS in parking lot in front of Zion…. I will say the rental cars used to have more bruises when we picked them up and recently they are spotless. I’m considering insurance in July. Glad the rest of your trip was flawless!

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 29,497

Nan-and those trees and stone walls that leap out at you are known to do damage too.

See you soon.
    Amy
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2016 Long Island Posts: 1,165

The turn from LIGNE St. Barth in Lorient to the main road…always gets me. I think I will take before and after pics this time…once when I pick up and once when I return to avoid any shenanigans.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 29,497

That is a wise move, Charlie. So easy now with phones right at hand.
    Safe travels.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

Quote Originally Posted by Nane22 View Post
    I feel your pain, Missy. I had similar “ding” on my front bumper and similar estimate when there in February. It’s those darn high curb- ROCKS in parking lot in front of Zion…. I will say the rental cars used to have more bruises when we picked them up and recently they are spotless. I’m considering insurance in July. Glad the rest of your trip was flawless!
    I had the insurance. Still had to pay the $270.53 for the ding. It was truly a sucky way to end a truly fantastic visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwater View Post
    The turn from LIGNE St. Barth in Lorient to the main road…always gets me. I think I will take before and after pics this time…once when I pick up and once when I return to avoid any shenanigans.
    Along with my own photos, TopLoc took photos and video at pickup and emailed them to me as I pulled out of the parking lot. The only shenanigan potential in this situation is whether or not the money I paid will actually go to repair the ding. I choose to trust that it will. I may never know, but it makes me feel better.

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2019 Chicago, IL Posts: 68

Todd did a minor paint chip/ding on the rear bumper with the Gumbs car. We had the CDW insurance on it. They wanted $100 still so he paid it.

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 10,243

What is this island coming to?

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2014 Houston Posts: 597

Quote Originally Posted by ADorocke View Post
    Todd did a minor paint chip/ding on the rear bumper with the Gumbs car. We had the CDW insurance on it. They wanted $100 still so he paid it.
    Isn't that under the CDW's deductible?

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 10,243

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLynn View Post
    Right?

”Wavier”

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLynn View Post
    I haven’t ever checked the CDW deductible at all of the agencies, or at any agency in many years. When I did check a few, I found €500/€1000 deductibles. It would be nice to know what others find.

SBH Member Joined: Oct 2015 Mars,Pa Posts: 235

I only rent through Odile and Gumbs-never an issue!

Quote Originally Posted by TERP37 View Post
    I only rent through Odile and Gumbs-never an issue!
    A similar situation (I refuse to take ownership of THAT ding, btw) that occurred some years ago with Gumb’s is what moved me across the room to TopLoc.

SBH Member Joined: Feb 2017 Portland, OR Posts: 123

Quote Originally Posted by GramChop View Post
    A similar situation (I refuse to take ownership of THAT ding, btw) that occurred some years ago with Gumb’s is what moved me across the room to TopLoc.
    Happened to us, with her, as well last month. A mark the size of my thumb that most likely would rub right off way down by the left front tire. And the POS car she gave us had a huge dented scratch along the side. We are moving on from Gumbs.

Odile and Gumbs have always treated me fairly when it comes to damage that I have caused. I have put a pretty good scratch in a car, paid what I considered to be a fair price to repair it, and gotten the same car on my next rental, with the scratch repaired. There have been other incidents over the years, but I've always been satisfied with how they were resolved.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 8,375

was just checking the rental car coverage on my CapOne Venture card. it seems to clearly be primary coverage if cdw is declined and domestic car policy doesnt cover out-of-country exposure. I guess I'm going with that.
    Fils du Sud - Roi des Fils Verrouillés

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    Odile and Gumbs have always treated me fairly when it comes to damage that I have caused. I have put a pretty good scratch in a car, paid what I considered to be a fair price to repair it, and gotten the same car on my next rental, with the scratch repaired. There have been other incidents over the years, but I've always been satisfied with how they were resolved.
    Totally agree for the most part, except our last trip. We have never had any damage to report on any of our rentals, so it's never been an issue. We have rented from Gumbs 3 times now and the vehicles we have been provided have all had their issues, cosmetically or functionality, but we just go with it as we know she is a highly respected merchant. We even turned down the free rental offer our villa agency had as a promotion (twice) to apply to an upgraded car to give her some additional business as we know COVID has been hard on all businesses. We thought an additional $100 or so wouldn't hurt us and like to do what we can for island resident owned businesses.

We have just decided to take the promotional deals, if any, from now on, no matter who the actual vendor is. Definitely not trying to harm a business, but to each their own and that's how our experiences have been and why we are moving on.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Snead Island, Florida. Posts: 3,127

Maurice car rental deductible is 600euro.....

I am curious what the rental companies are charging for a small auto with AC,,,, I've rented through Maurice for 20 years or so, I'm paying 35e a day. Maybe this should be another post on this topic ?

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 11,779

Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    was just checking the rental car coverage on my CapOne Venture card. it seems to clearly be primary coverage if cdw is declined and domestic car policy doesnt cover out-of-country exposure. I guess I'm going with that.
    can you check and see if it covers a car you hit - as opposed to the one you are driving?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Maurice car rental deductible is 600euro.....

I am curious what the rental companies are charging for a small auto with AC,,,, I've rented through Maurice for 20 years or so, I'm paying 35e a day. Maybe this should be another post on this topic ?
    About 60e per day for a mini cooper convertible.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 8,375

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    can you check and see if it covers a car you hit - as opposed to the one you are driving?
    it does not. that’s the third party liability that French law requires the rental company provides in price of rental. like service compris dans un restaurant
    Fils du Sud - Roi des Fils Verrouillés

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA