"Return-Trip-After-12-Years!" Report

ADorocke

SBH Member
Just got back late last night after 8 nights in Paradis! Except for losing a pair of beloved lunettes de soleil to Flamands, and a fainting spell at SXM, all went quite smoothly overall. Todd and I took our 9 year old, Audrey for her first visit to kick off her Summer vacation.

ORD to SXM on United... 4-5 hours in Business class was the way to go. Used PIV for the transit, and got on an earlier flight on WinAir. Audrey did not tolerate the heat shock very well at SXM but loved the flight over to SBH. We ran into GramChop and her granddaughter and ended up on the same plane! A great surprise! The pilots let Audrey shut down the aircraft after landing... she was invited into the cockpit to flip the switches!

TEST.jpg

We picked up our two rental cars... One came with the Villa - a Kia Picanto, and the other was the chosen VW T-Roc Convertible. Very fun but felt a bit wide on the roads. It handled the hills well though. I often though took "the Beater," as we came to call it, because it felt smaller and zippier and not so imposing on the roads.

Off to LePiment for a quick refreshment before heading to the Villa!
:peach:

Piment.jpg

Villa La Magnifica in Devet/Vitet did not disappoint. The views of Grand Fond were fabulous! However, the construction detour was very time consuming and made for some tough driving... I do not think that I would have gone with that location had I known what we were in for. I love driving on the island too. Vitet was a nice change of scenery but next time we will be back at Flamands
:heart1:

Villa.JPG

Sunday was Nikki Beach to really start things off with a bang! :wink2: What a hoot! The sax player was fun. Very loud though - we are too old!? :rolleyes: Had the nicest time in the water there following. No beach chairs/bed - 1000e liquor spend required. :eek: On Monday, we checked out the other side of St. Jean and spent the day at Pearl Beach for lunch and chaises. Saw lots of planes taking off but no access for views of landings.

Test3.jpg

On to the highlights... Dad arrived from ATL and we spent the day at Le Toiny Beach Club. Highly recommend! The setting is lovely. The ride down in The Defender is a real thrill! We enjoyed the pool. Had the Pea (tendrils) salad, and Mahi. (Pretty much had the Mahi, Dorade or Wahoo everywhere we went. The lobster shortage is still happening.)

LT1.jpg

LT4.jpg

LT3.jpg

Next day, we hotel/beach hopped over to Cheval Blanc at Flamands. It was interesting to see how these properties have been transformed over the past decade with the change of ownership. Loved the expanded setting here! Todd went in for the Mahi hot dog. :grin1: We had several glasses of wine between the three of us, and a hefty l'addition but it was well worth it, IMO. (Apparently, par la bouteille is the better to go.) Had access to the pools which was nice, especially for Audrey and after the ocean got surly with us. :eek:

Eden Rock Sand Bar for dinner... :heart1::heart1::heart1: Beautiful at night! Perfection, as always. Had the best mashed potatoes of my life!? (with the filet de beouf)

ER1.jpg

ER3.jpg

We had a perfect last day which started out at Grand Cul de Sac to see the kite-boarders/surfers. Spent the afternoon at Le Barthelemy - another gorgeous new property! Saw some baby sharks in the water... Did not go in, but loved this pool there which we rated a "10"
:up: Then, late afternoon, we hopped back on over to St. Jean where Todd and Audrey rented one of those "electric body bullets" :questionmark: We (I) did not plan our Saturday dinner very well, with no reservations... tried to get in to Bonito to no avail (what a gorgeous setting!!), and ended up at L'Isola which was also beyond any expectations - so refined and authentic and intimate. :heart1:

Departed on SBC with PIV on the transit. Absolutely the smoothest, most pleasant experience overall! The plane was nicer, the crew nicer... maybe it was just because it was all from SBH... And Vincent's team were the best in ushering us through SXM in about under 15 minutes. It was so nice to bypass all of those lines even on the return home. Flew SXM-IAD-ORD because of no Sunday non-stops. Will possibly consider springing for Tradewinds next time, given what was spent on business class roundtrip and PIV.

It was great to be back on the best place on earth! Everyone was so friendly as always. Enjoyed struggling to speak French. It’s been too long!

Au revoir, St Barth... Je t'aime encore et toujours!

finale.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to see you all had a great time.
And Audrey looks like she's off to a great start on our favorite island!

Looks like you all had a fantastic time! Thanks for the trip recap, Ashley!! I'm sure you are already looking forward to your return and hopefully not 12 years from now!

Nice report. Agree that you need to do this more often than every 12 years. Make it at an annual thing until the kids say stop and then you have to leave them at home. ;)

What a great trip report. I love reading these. I also love the fact that you took your daughter.

My wife and I are returning to the island after a 4 year absence (thanks COVID) this Thanksgiving and we are going to be bringing our 8yo daughter. Unfortunately I think we have overhyped the island to her to the point that she may be disappointed when we arrive.

My wife and I are returning to the island after a 4 year absence (thanks COVID) this Thanksgiving and we are going to be bringing our 8yo daughter. Unfortunately I think we have overhyped the island to her to the point that she may be disappointed when we arrive.

Show her these pictures of Audrey having such a good tie. She will get it! Our grandson Charlie at 8 and who is now 14 still raves about St Barths.

Steelpe- She loved the bakery and fresh assortment each morning… And we had a large turtle we fed in the backyard. It ate both pears and Doritos!! :laughing-cry: Good that you’re going with her in Nov. The heat and sun were a bit much at times.

Bkeats- We need 12 more years to save the money for it! :rolleyes: Lol. I think we’d do it more low-key the next time though to pare it down some. We missed some good local rustic spots.

Steelpe- She loved the bakery and fresh assortment each morning… And we had a large turtle we fed in the backyard. It ate both pears and Doritos!! :laughing-cry: Good that you’re going with her in Nov. The heat and sun were a bit much at times.

Bkeats- We need 12 more years to save the money for it! :rolleyes: Lol. I think we’d do it more low-key the next time though to pare it down some. We missed some good local rustic spots.

Audrey shared photos of that turtle with us at L’esprit during her Daddy/Daughter date night. Precious!

Missy- We did not have any strawberries so had to improvise... Could not believe that it would eat chips too!

Such a nice trip report - well done! Audrey is lovely and so happy you all had a wonderful time! Now, get booking for next year…it eases the departure pain!!
;)

Don’t wait another 12 years. You went fairly high end with your choices. SBH can be as expensive or cheap as you make it.

My wife likes to fly business these days so I can’t avoid that expense. There are many reasonably priced villas. Plenty of places to eat where you can easily have a meal for far far less than what you spent. One of the cheapest meals you can have is a rotisserie chicken from the market plus some bread and bagged salad with a bottle of wine for less than €30 at the villa. Have meals at places without great views or where if you can bear it lots of smoking French. Will cost you a lot less but still have great food.

I would rather come more often and stay low key than come once a decade to go upscale.

Enjoyed your pix & your words posted on family vacation ! thanks for taking us along as you returned after so many years. Agree scale back, stay longer !

Everyone leaves with the scale it back food strategy and it somehow gets thrown out the window on arrival...

The biggest lie my wife and I tell each other is "This time, we'll eat at the villa 3 nights!"

Right. I can identify with that. Do you cook and dine at home when traveling to other than SBH destinations? Phil has become master of our little bbq and the roti chickens are an excellent at home dinner too. Favorite take away is the lasagna from Isoletta.with a mozzarella and tomato and Parma ham salad, quite a treat.