Trip Highlights & Thank you Forum

GinaC

SBH Member
Well I am back at my desk after 6 days in SB and just can't seem to focus so let me share some highlights of our trip since that is where my mind is anyway.
Family with 2 older teen boys, their 2nd time on island and 4th for husband and me. Our last trip was 8 years ago and boys enjoyed the island then and were eager to return. Certainly a completely different perspective being 8 years older for them but they enjoyed it just as much, if not more. First order of business is our villa. I came to this forum months ago seeking help on which villa as this is something that is very important to us. I could never get comfortable with our choices and kept talking to different Wimco agents until I found one that had very good first hand knowledge and encouraged me to go with Villa Lakshmi. The pics online were good but honestly I wasn't super excited about the villa, just really got tired of looking and trusted the agent. This was the perfect villa choice for us! We have always stayed in different villa's to try different views and locations but not sure I could go back and not book this one if we needed 3/4 bedrooms. The pics online were good but the villa rep, Lucas said it best when he showed us around, "it is a very comfortable villa" and it is very nice with a terrific view over the Eden Roc. There is a "observatory" platform that we referred to as "up top" that had a view of both sides of the island. We watched the sunset and had champagne toast every evening and spent hours watching the stars and looking for constellations. Time like this with teen kids is priceless. I could go on about this villa and Isabella, the housekeeper, who was so kind and efficient. She brought us a baguette and croissants from the bakery every morning and kept the house immaculate.

Daily highlights:
1st night used the delivery service delifood-stbarth.com for delivery from Le Repaire - Steak, frites, risotto, Lobster pasta and either gazpacho or ceviche and lava cake w/ icecream. The steak was great once I gave it a little more time in a pan with butter but that was not their fault as son ordered it rare but didn't like it rare - easy fix. The risotto and lava cakes were memorable too.

Day 2 - Massages @ The spa at Christopher Hotel - hands down the best massage room setting ever. I felt like I had a bonus as once I entered the spa, it started to pour rain and for the first 30 min I was able to listen to the rain and the waves with a wonderful massage.
We waited at the pool bar while everyone finished and enjoyed a healthy cocktail of the day. Watching the employees and the bar tenders start to work was impressive. They were meticulous and true professional of their craft. We had lunch reservations already or would have loved to have stayed here for lunch and enjoy a sunbed.
Lunch: Nikki Beach - Drinks were good. I had some sort of seafood salad with mostly crab - didn't love. 1 son had pizza which was Good! and other had ? with fries - fries were so good we ordered another order to share.
Dinner - Creperie - Needed something light and casual and kids had fond memories of Creperie from before so off we went. Food was solid - only 1 person waiting all tables in and out. He was working super hard so you just had to be very patient as it took him a long time to get around to everyone.

Day 3 - Morning pool and lunch at L'il Rock. Fun lunch and afternoon between L'il Rock and Pearl Beach. We enjoyed this lunch and beach more thank Nikki - could have been it was just more relaxed and although there were families at both, families seem to be enjoying the beach more on this end vs Nikki area. I guess it can have a different vibe on different days. Super fun day for us.

Day 4 - Saline in the a.m. Lunch @ Le Select, Pool in the afternoon and Dinner @ Santa Fe. This is about as classic of a SB day as we can have and keeps me coming back. SF is so welcoming and the food and drinks were excellent. Funny story as 3 of us were ordering salads and youngest son (16) doesn't like salad but didn't see any other apps that appealed to him, so he asked me if I thought he would like the ravioli fois gras. I selfishly wanted him to order it as I wanted to try it so I did not bother to ask if he understood what it was. I was sure the word "ravioli" is what caught his attention. He ordered, I got my one bite and he ate every bit. Older brother kept eyeing him eating it and once he finished he commented on his choice and couldn't believe he liked it. It wasn't until this moment he asked what "fois gras" was.

Day 5 - Went out with Jicky Marina on a catamaran. The plan was to hit several spots/beaches around the island and then watch the sunset but since the conditions were perfect for sailing, they raised the sails and we all agreed to just sail around the island. We had never actually done this before so this was a great experience. The only let down of this day was the lunch. We had preordered and it was sourced from Fouquet's so I had high expectations. It was the poorest all around meal we had the entire time. The ceasar salad dressing had so much anchovy in it that it was barely edible. I like anchovy and the flavor and I could not eat it. The sandwiches were on toasted bread. I am no chef but if I pack a picnic lunch, I would never serve a packed sandwich on toasted bread. I guess this was ok since the sandwiches were only 1/2 sandwich each and due to their poor quality only 2 were consumed. The captain and mate didn't acknowledge that it was obvious our lunch was not enjoyed but this wasn't their area of expertise anyway. They kept drinks flowing and were very informative about local events. It was a great day on the boat and an experience we all enjoyed.
Dinner - grabbed pizza from L'Isoletta on our way back to the villa from the boat. Loved this place! Took it to go and they were fast putting together the salad, meatballs and pizza we ordered. I also made pasta to go with our to go dinner and given the "light" lunch we had, the boys consumed it all. A fantastic dinner.
Day 6 - Lunch at Rosewood Le Guanahani followed by sunbeds. This was our last full day and was exactly what we did on our last day of previous trip. Irma did a number on this resort and I was hesitant to return as I remembered the beaches and natural areas being so lovely and I was sure the build back wouldn't compare. Boy was I wrong. It was absolutely beautiful and the lunch area was so inviting. My food always taste better if my toes are in the sand and this place did not disappoint. After we finished lunch they offered to transfer our check to the sunbed/beach area where we relaxed (read slept) for the afternoon. I did manage to find the energy to snorkel for a bit and loved watching the sea turtles that live in this area. I also collected a bit of sea glass but left it by the conch shells alongside the water gear rental hut, so happy finding to someone.
Dinner - The boys requested one more outing to Le Select. Now, I love the ambiance of Le Select for the afternoon but this isn't my idea of my last night dinner on the island but sometimes it is about compromise and I am thrilled my kids love the island as much as I do, soooo Le Select it is.

Day 7 - departure day - We had to leave our villa by 11:15 so in my world (morning person) that was half a day to play with. Everyone slept in but I still had not set foot on shell beach so off I went. Stopped by Choissy first for ham/cheese croissant and coffee. On to Shell Beach - cleaned the beach from a little sea glass ;) and then stumbled upon the market that just started up again on Sunday mornings in Gustavia. Secured a bracelet, watercolor painting and rum punch for the trip home. Driving back, realized I needed a view from the lighthouse, stopped and grabbed some pics, continued on to swim at the villa, went "up top" for one more 360 degree view and just savored the island coming alive on a Sunday morning.

With my oldest headed to college in a few months, I couldn't think of a better place to spend as a family and make memories. It was easy and relaxed and there was never a "hurry up" to get anywhere or do anything. Thanks forum friends for helping me spend another wonderful week on the island.

sb poolview.jpgsb_breakfast.jpgsb_uptop.jpg

Attachments

• sb_uptop.jpg
    sb_uptop.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 630
Last edited by a moderator:
You have had a great week and got home with memories to last a long long time. So happy it all worked out.

Good luck in college to the new freshman.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading the family experiences on your recent trip. Hope you let Fouquet's know about the lunch you ordered being what it was...not so good. And probably not cheap either. Fois gras, loved that tidbit ! Glad the villa was a good choice for all of you, treasure the memories !

You are soooo right to build wonderful memories before your sons go off to college. Great report! Thanks!

Great report, thanks for sharing. You really got a full DAY out of that last half. I love how the island can be so many things, romantic get away, family bonding, friends trip.

Can someone fix the pics?

Great report, thanks for sharing. You really got a full DAY out of that last half. I love how the island can be so many things, romantic get away, family bonding, friends trip.

Can someone fix the pics?

Yes!