SXM In-Transit?

bobrosen

SBH Member
Hi, All.

We haven't been to SBH in a couple of years (It was fun having to cancel our trip three weeks before our flights when France closed the border two years ago - damn pandemic!) but are planning a return in November. I know it's a while yet, but how are things in SXM for those in-transit and without any checked luggage? I know we'll (at least so far) have to fill out the form, but is there still a way to bypass all the craziness and go directly to the Winair gates on our inbound leg? It used to be off to the left and up the ramp just inside the door. Any other words of wisdom about changes at SXM in the last couple of years? For that matter, any OTHER words of wisdom?

Thanks. Bob

Hi Bob,
Not an expert but we are also going in November. I feel like it is WAAAAY too early to tell what SXM and requirements will be like. Last year it was a moving target and I expect the same.
Happy planning!

Hi Bob,
Not an expert but we are also going in November. I feel like it is WAAAAY too early to tell what SXM and requirements will be like. Last year it was a moving target and I expect the same.
Happy planning!
agreed. We are going in 2 weeks and I will make decisions in 12 days as to what the protocol calls for. A weird world however we are going to our happy place!

Thanks, marybeth and Cwater. The COVID-related part of my question was kind of "I KNOW that part will be nutty and it's too early to tell..." The real question had more to do with the logistics of SXM. In the past, there's often been a way for those in-transit and without checked luggage to bypass the need to do St. Maarten immigration, go into the main (non-secure part of the) terminal, etc. It's varied in recent years, and has never been obvious.

But, for instance, the last time we did this a couple of years ago, right after you exit the big plane, (probably) take the shuttle bus from plane to building, and enter the building, there was an unmarked ramp just inside the door to the left where those in-transit could walk. There was a guy in uniform who'd check your credentials, and then you could go through a security thing with no crowd at all and end up in the hallway to the Winair and SRC etc gates, without having to deal with anything or anyone else. And although somewhat different in the details the time or two before that, it was functionally the same.

That's what I really want to know. I take it as a given that COVID protocols will change and SXM will change. But for anyone who's been through there lately, is that functional aspect of things still there?

Bob

If you search around a bit you might find a recent answer to your question. As I remember the answer it was that the speedy transit desk hasn’t been reinstated since Irma.

Thanks so much! So it sounds like it's a mix - you have to go to the immigration area, but there's an in-transit line for those with ongoing boarding passes and no checked luggage. We'll see how things are come November! And NO MORE TESTING to get back into the US, starting Sunday! Bob

Hi bob, we just got back. While there is an in transit line for immigration it is not as convenient as the old in transit desk. When you arrive at the airport if you have no checked bags and have a printed boarding pass, you can go to the left and to security. If you need a boarding pass you will need to go to immigration. There is an in transit line but once through there you have to go outside to the main check in area to get a boarding pass and then through emigration and security with everyone else. If you are using SBC, on the way to SBH they can whisk you through. Not the same for Winair.

Use SBC. They meet you as you get to the terminal. And even go get your bags. And whisk you through