Day 3

PeterLynn

Senior Insider
Meeting with friends

Over the number of visits (eight and counting) we have accumulated several friends and acquaintances that we see each May. Our closest ones we met on a Jicky sunset cruise our second year. Today, we meet up at our "base camp" - Le Select. Hugs and bisous are shared as we settle down over rosé and Caribs. Another couple, who we also met on a Jicky cruise and hail from Houston, joined us for a good couple of hours of catching up and "Marius Specials". We finally break up as the anxiety of the parking "wheel" expiration becomes too great. A quick stop at the airport "superette" for a single afternoon Minuty (fourteen vs eighteen euros at the Super U). Maid was finishing up when we got back the villa. She's Portuguese, but speaks neither English nor French, so communication was entirely through Google Translate. What did we do pre-smartphone? The rest of the afternoon is spent either in the pool (me) or napping inside (Lynn).

Always heard great things (thanks Amy) about the views from Fouquets, so picked up the villa phone (kind of fun to navigate the native French phone service) and after a few tries made reservations for six o'clock. Wonderful experience! Very serene with amazing views of Gustavia. Dinner reservations at Orega gave us a couple of hours to enjoy a cocktail and tapas. My wife had a Soixante-quinze (French 75) with white truffle paste arancinis (rice balls) and I a planteurs and several marinated tuna, Fouquet's crisps. Toward six thirty, the sun began to drop out past St Martin and the lights of Gustavia came alive.

Lingering the whole time made for great pictures, but also a less desirable parking. After circling a couple of times, we ended up past the post office, but got to enjoy a small ensemble performing in the church as we strolled by. A few steps further and we are greeted by the ever effervescent Tuti and JuJu who gave us each "les bises" before seating us in the upper deck. Our friends joined us shorty after and more catching up ensued over "Basil Instincts" and a Wasabi Margarita. Both quite good with a bit of spice. The menu has been greatly simplified with only a few entrées - we shared the "Tuna Kanzo" (tuna topped with seared foie gras) and "Smoking Duck Roll" (think maki rather than spring). The three meat eaters had the lamb and I the always wonderful sea bass. Conversation continued over sorbet boules, a cleared table and finally a cleared restaurant. A drive through empty streets and we're in bed by midnight.

Much more efficient than last year's - two men with rakes
Day3-1.jpg
Day3-2.jpg
Day3-3.jpg
Day3-4.jpg
Day3-5.jpg
Kohi Choku (lamb)
Day3-6.jpg
Shiso-Apple Sorbet
Day3-7.jpg