Zion Extraordinaire!

cec1

Senior Insider
Farewell dinner at the “Chef’s Table,” which has become so popular that it’s now difficult to get seating there. So I booked well in advance for a last dinner with Chef Jean Baptiste in this visit. (Sitting with me at the Table, BTW, were two very interesting couples from New Jersey — two police chiefs, one retired & one soon-to-be-retired, and their lovely wives.)

The pics posted here say just about everything to describe an amazing four course dinner experience. Jean Baptiste Piard & team set a new record for me in gastronomy.

Starting with an amuse bouche of Arancini with smoky mashed potatoes
917D48CC-D031-4683-B0AF-8B4C1E97008C.jpg

. . . we moved next to Smoked Tuna with grilled Bell Peppers, Tumeric, & Salmon Eggs
844F2B2E-BD22-4FD9-84C1-F2857CC52978.jpg

. . . a beautiful wine was introduced to accompany the next course, Veal sweet breads with corn, grilled bacon, & flavored with maple syrup
DA9238CB-0F08-47EB-A6D7-BD00CA2A70E2.jpeg81108823-83E7-427E-AA31-E9CCD3CEEE1D.jpg

. . . chocolate desserts with almonds, Bailey’s, and Arabica coffee beans
37EFBB85-FACF-4AE9-A297-952D666F6567.jpg

. . . and a final offering of a small Lemon & Orange Rhum Baba
20153A69-1CA0-4B49-A5EA-C014AB35DD78.jpg

With great appreciation to Zion for an incredible evening of dining excellence!
0EF19884-AF9C-420B-8536-4828A14FD3BE.jpg

Dennis, the staff at Zion outdid themselves for you. I am delighted with the send off with that delicious meal you deserved.

Thank you, Dennis for sharing! Really outstanding event. One could ask though: Zion or L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, what is your fav?

A very well put together send off for a friend of the house. Looks like a lovely dinning experience.

Thank you, Dennis for sharing! Really outstanding event. One could ask though: Zion or L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, what is your fav?

It’s difficult to publicly reply, Leon. I, nonetheless, will say that Zion surpasses L’Atelier . . . for which I have enormous respect.

With respect to L’Atelier,I recommend that anyone who is curious about the gastronomique style of the current Robuchon chef . . . . you should go there sooner rather than later. When Robuchon re-opens in New York, I would not be surprised to read that the current SBH chef has de-camped to NYC (“If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere!”). It’s difficult to imagine an equally fine replacement.