La saison des travaux est lancée (work season is launched)

JEK

Senior Insider
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.32.23 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.22.32 AM.jpg

The work season is launched

The tourist season is coming to an end and the local authority has revived its major works to Thanksgiving. Camaruche, a large background, Lurin, the point on the six main projects that will be undertaken in the next six months.

The work season is launched and will extend to Thanksgiving, in mid-November. Here, the different phases of the work in Lurin.
Ala tourist season follows that of major works. For the past few weeks, the local authority has set up various construction sites on the island in order to continue the development of roads, the deployment of fiber and the renewal of water network pipes. On the occasion of this resumption of activities, the technical services of the community take stock of the six main Saint-Barth sites. In particular with the aim of reminding the public that the hollow season, which goes from the past May to Thanksgiving in November, is the only period of the year allowing them to undertake such work.

Lorient Camaruche

Lorient's developments started in 2018. This year will be that of the realization of the last tranche of the work which will make it possible to bury the different networks (water, electricity, fiber optics, telecommunications) and to develop the roads of the road roundabout of the oasis to the four wind barrier. At the same time, the road will be redone nine and a sidewalk on the entire climb of campaigns will be carried out.
The question of the absence of stop lights intended to perceive an alter-born circulation, especially in the evening and at night, returns regularly in conversations. The technical services explain the reasons for what the one-way placement of the way has been favored.

"IlylenlongronSon to cover up to the four winds and if we place a fire for an altering circulation, time D 'waiting will be about ten minutes in the process of the arrangement of these fires, details Sophie Olivaud- Durand, the director of the technical services. This solution would have a direct impact on residents who, with the one way, have no waiting problem, in particular in the morning. »»

During the holidays in July and August, the road will be fully closed to traffic in order to carry out the concreting of the roads. The one sense will be given in early September. The total amount of the work is 2.07 million euros.

Lurin, towards Gustavia

The work undertaken in the descent of Lurin commented in early May. They are cut into four phases, the last being scheduled in 2025. This year, the fittings
gements will go from the crossroads of governor to the start of the descent to Gustavia, over a distance of about 350 meters. Again, the obtertainment of this work is to make the repair of the roadway, to the renewal of the water supply pipeline to which will be added a pipe to feed the future castle of Lurin water, the enhancement of orange networks and the deployment of fiber. Cost of work: 1.6 million euros.

Flamands district

After the work carried out in 2021 between the crossroads of four paths and the beach access, the facilities will continue in order to strengthen the electrical network, bury the electrical and telecommunications networks, replace the water pipe, but also to install Public lighting and, of course, develop the roads. Traffic will be alternated. Cost of work: 990,000 euros in 2022.

Corossol district

It is in early June that the work will resume on the section between the grocery store and the Corossol beach. They consider to renew the drinking water distribution pipe, place the sheaths to bury the tele-communications and fiber networks, but also strengthen power lines and proceed to connections with the new transformer built in the bottom of the neighborhood. It is also about installing public lighting and points for any surveillance cameras. A dozen parking spaces will be built as well as
that a house of household waste deposit. Throughout the duration of the work, traffic will be alternated. Cost of work in 2022: 1.12 million euros.

At the same time, the work between Corossol and Colombier started in mid-January will continue until the end of May. The track remains barred, except for local residents. Cost of work: 2.12 million euros.

Saint-Jean Carénage up to the Col de Tourterelle These works are scheduled in three phases spread over three years. The main challenge is to install canaling on the heights to supply residents who are not yet served. To this work is added arrangements similar to other works undertaken on the island. Cost of work: 1.6 million euros.

Grand Fond

Without a real consequence on traffic, the work continues in order to finish the sidewalks on the side of Tovo, dress the stone walls and make a point of view.
Finally, a reminder of the nature of the work at the entrance to Gus-Tavia. These consist in the removal of the bunch to replace them with low walls to protect the route from sea sweat movements, but also the development of a pedestrian circuit, without forgetting the burial of networks, The renewedness of the structures of asvisolation, etc. The road will be one way between Public and Gustavia to Thanksgiving.

At this time, the slight delays of traffic headed down the Camaruche hill, to Lorient, are a very minor inconvenience. And progress along the route is very great, a photos posted by JEK show. (The only “hiccup” is locals who insist on trying to “swim uphill,” against the flow — usually cycles / scooters, but an occasional car or truck, as well. Very interestingly, there are frequent sightings of gendarmes along the route who “ticket” miscreants.)

I have quite mixed emotions about the project. As old trees & imperfect, irregular stone “rubble” walls are removed by big, powerful, yellow America-manufactured machinery . . . to be replaced by sleek, Disney-perfect stone-pasted-onto-concrete . . . I feel a loss of St. Barths’ “soul.” It’s a price of “progress,” I guess . . . but at a high cost to the island’s embodiment.

Mais, les trottoirs, mon ami, les trottoirs :nerd:

Oui, oui! I have been a staunch advocate of sidewalks around the island. In meetings over many years with former President Magras, he often would open by asking, “are we here to talk again about sidewalks?”

The COM reports

- Territorial road #211 / GRAND FOND

Construction of the territorial road started in 2020 and the road is open in both directions.
The work will continue, without any inconvenience to traffic, by:
- the finalization of the sidewalk, Toiny side
- wall cladding, in stone, seaside
- the realization of a point of view
- and various finishes.

The purpose of this operation was:
- Close the drinking water network to secure water quality and distribution in the Grand Fond sector
- Installing HT and BT power networks
- Laying conduit for fiber optic deployment
- Building retaining walls to secure the sea side road
- Make a pedestrian path
- Set up two parking areas as well as a viewpoint

8C0A6861-D442-4F05-A4CC-2A4F18052451.jpeg17C8745E-C36F-4340-8BD5-6DB9157991A5.jpeg

The COM reports

- Territorial road #211 / GRAND FOND

Construction of the territorial road started in 2020 and the road is open in both directions.
The work will continue, without any inconvenience to traffic, by:
- the finalization of the sidewalk, Toiny side
- wall cladding, in stone, seaside
- the realization of a point of view
- and various finishes.

The purpose of this operation was:
- Close the drinking water network to secure water quality and distribution in the Grand Fond sector
- Installing HT and BT power networks
- Laying conduit for fiber optic deployment
- Building retaining walls to secure the sea side road
- Make a pedestrian path
- Set up two parking areas as well as a viewpoint

View attachment 62202View attachment 62203

It’s hard to know what to say about this stretch of road . . . vaguely reminiscent of the Basse Corniche on the French Riviera, picturesquely running along the windy coast & beautiful sea.

Bump-free riding and reinforced concrete walls that have been slickly covered with a smooth veneer of rock, nonetheless, are soulless. The improved roadway no doubt was needed (sidewalks are a great addition). Much of the former sound of waves has been lost, however . . . as has some of the view of crashing waves. Instead of random stopping along the road’s rough “shoulder,” there now are a couple of small turnouts, and, as I recall, two parking spaces are available. It could have been worse, so some thanks are owing to efforts of the Collectivité to improve safety along this now heavily-traveled route and to suggest a hint of the old “rubble”-style walls that were substantially destroyed by Hurricane Irma.

The sun still shines bright . . . the sea still is blue . . . the coast remains beautiful . . . the moon continues to move hearts & souls. I only worry that the next “improvement” will be a conversion of the Nureyev house to a luxe restaurant.

I agree with you Dennis, and there is apparently some controversy about an additional parking lot that the former Collectivité wanted to add... according to Didier Laplace of the Coral Restoration Association, this would be bad for the shoreline and the surfers say they don't need more parking. He also notes that at the time, Xavier Ledee and Helene Bernier came to see him to voice their concern about the environmental impact of the parking area. Helene has also voiced her opposition to the concrete walls faced in stone, rather than the old dry stone walls that let water pass through and were more aesthetic, etc....
Now that they are in Bruno's shoes... wait and see !

277448082_10227361598735237_1954394122259384727_n.jpg

Yes . . . it appears that finding themselves on “the other side of the table” presents some major challenges for leaders of the new administration. In a “big picture” analysis, I would think that a major challenge is going to be (probably already is!) deciding how much of limited funds should be diverted to fighting for the personal agendas of team members. In this regard, for example, I understand that the matter of L’Etoile (proposed hotel next to Eden Rock) continues to be litigated, & my impression is that its owner-advocates probably can outspend the Collectivité. At some point, thus, I expect to see a compromise, negotiated settlement that will permit a project to proceed.

Probably so, Dennis. A smaller scale project that all sides can live with will rise on the site.

Yes . . . it appears that finding themselves on “the other side of the table” presents some major challenges for leaders of the new administration. In a “big picture” analysis, I would think that a major challenge is going to be (probably already is!) deciding how much of limited funds should be diverted to fighting for the personal agendas of team members. In this regard, for example, I understand that the matter of L’Etoile (proposed hotel next to Eden Rock) continues to be litigated, & my impression is that its owner-advocates probably can outspend the Collectivité. At some point, thus, I expect to see a compromise, negotiated settlement that will permit a project to proceed.
« Ce qui a été fait est fait. On ne peut pas revenir dessus. Xavier (Lédée, ndlr) a été élu avec son équipe mais cette équipe n'aura pas d'autre choix que de poursuivre les projets que nous avons lancés. Je laisse une Collectivité qui est véritablement sur les rails. C'est à eux de la maintenir. Il y aura, je crois, beaucoup de désillusion. Beaucoup de jeunes ont été élus et qui pensent qu'ils vont changer les choses d'un claquement de doigts. Ce n'est pas comme ça que ça se passe. On verra. L’avenir est devant cette jeunesse." Le Shérif