How This Stunning Island Became the Culinary Capital of the Caribbean

Absolutely the truth.

Pressoir was one of our favorites since its opening. That being said, have not been back to SXM since discovering SBH so the other places are all new to me. Good for them getting such a nice write up. I have fond memories from when Saint Martin was known as the Gourmet Capitol of the Caribbean.

Andy, when was your last visit there?

Amy, you made me think and then check the last time I ate a meal in Saint Martin - 1998!

Amy, you made me think and then check the last time I ate a meal in Saint Martin - 1998!

I am not sure. We island hopped to the airport in Grand Case to visit friends staying in Anse Marcel, I think their hotel was then called the Sonesta. But it was a while ago. We dined at Bistro Caraibe in the town of Grand Case and it was excellent. And the same two brothers, Amory and Tibor were running it…the restaurant on the corner of the main drag with the lobster tank out front across from the then called Fish Pot.

The writer's CV is interesting (incidentally, he doesn't seem to have written about SBH):
Brad Japhe is a freelance journalist most commonly found at the confluence of food, beverage, and travel. He moonlights as a craft beer and spirits expert, hosting frequent seminars and educational dinners in cities from Los Angeles to New York City. He's visited all 50 states and all seven continents. His favorite breed of dog is the Siberian husky.

* 10+ years of experience as a full-time reporter for national and international newspapers and magazines
* Nominated for several writing awards including the 2021 Spirited Awards at Tales of the Cocktail Foundation
* Written for episodic television travel shows
* Hosts video content for several online beverage and travel outlets including Flaviar, Spirits Network, and Distiller
[/COLOR]

Pressoir was one of our favorites since its opening. That being said, have not been back to SXM since discovering SBH so the other places are all new to me. Good for them getting such a nice write up. I have fond memories from when Saint Martin was known as the Gourmet Capitol of the Caribbean.

Andy, when was your last visit there?

We had an unplanned visit about 10 years ago when storms canceled our US flight home and we had to vacate our SBH villa. We stayed at Mary’s Boon a couple of nights. Had dinner at Pressoir and Spiga.

We used to go to SXM a lot. Stayed at the Grand Case Beach Club many times. Haven’t been back since the hurricane. Really enjoyed the Calamos beach bar/restaurant along with the Lolos, great food, inexpensive, fun simple atmosphere along with great people watching.