Place to buy good fish ? (Recommendation request)

amsmulko

SBH Insider
I'm hoping to cook some good fish. Ate there any fishmonger or other places you can get recommend?

Thanks!!!

The fish market in Gustavia, at the entrance from Public, is the classic best place. Early, like 06:00 is better. Super U also sells some fish. I don't know if Fish Corner still has a fish market, but the hours used to be 09:00 - 11:00 Mon - Sat.

There is a fishmonger in Lurin near Form Fitness gym. I think this is where David gets some of his offerings at Sante Fe

There is also the fish market in Lorient right before the hill to Camaruche. Hours are irregular. It seems to open whenever the fishermen have something to sell so it could be the middle of the day. Every time I drive by I look over to see if anything is happening. Haven't been on the island in 2 1/2 years but there was then Meat My Fish on the road towards Point Milou.

I'm hoping to cook some good fish. Ate there any fishmonger or other places you can get recommend?

Thanks!!!

there are tons of threads on the forum related to this, but you may want to exercise caution regarding which fishes you purchase. especially from the Lorient monger.
the brightly colored reef fishes may be linked to ciguatera poisoning. whereas, you should be safe with the bluewater species.

There is a fishmonger in Lurin near Form Fitness gym. I think this is where David gets some of his offerings at Sante Fe

I have only been there once and spoke with a woman (not the fisherman). She made it sound like what they had for public offering would be coming from a freezer. Fish market is Gustavia is the best bet. They have been showing some nice looking tuna lately and Mahi (dourade) is normally on offer.

Thanks!!!

Call Jeremy Questel 0690402339 (professionnal fisherman) or check him out on FB..

jq.jpg

Call Jeremy Questel 0690402339 (professionnal fisherman) or check him out on FB..

from JQ's FB this morning:

Coulirou frais a la Tourmente et Mini mart
284392629_10158793505923946_6417487569738866056_n.jpg

"à la Tourmente" . . . does Jérémy set up a stand at the Col, or what does this mean ?

merci :blush-smile:

and, traditional local preparation for coulirous ? gut them and fry whole? or something else ?

I once encountered a "holding pen" full of them at Colombier. Fishermen would stop by and net a bunch occassionally.