les Voiles Photos 2022

EddyG

SBH Insider
This is the 11th edition of les Voiles with more than 70 boats entered. Strong winds and big waves most of the week. Here are a few photos.

pano_1es.jpg

DSC06368e.jpg

DSC06380e.jpg

DSC06390e.jpg

DSC06399e.jpg

DSC06400e.jpg

DSC06406e.jpg

DSC06412e.jpg

DSC06421e.jpg

DSC06426e.jpg

DSC06428e.jpg

DSC06430e.jpg

DSC06445e.jpg

DSC06462e.jpg

DSC06505e.jpg

Oh Ed, you’ve done it again. A fabulous set of today’s racing boats in action. Thank you.

Why don't all of these folks sitting on the edge of their boats fall off! Stunning photos, Ed!

Why don't all of these folks sitting on the edge of their boats fall off! Stunning photos, Ed!

Because they are really truly sailors! I admire them all.

My high school teams were THE OCEANSIDE SAILORS……I would not last long at sea at all! Trust me, I know this.

We're sailors, but there were elements of this race that just lacked appeal for us. Gotta say. Seeing these pictures, we just may have to rethink. Kudos, Ed.

Damn, those crews are working it! What incredible conditions in which to be "put to the test," so to speak.

Nice pics. Looking at the first pictures I thought to myself that's interesting the boat is called the Richard Mille. After two more I went, duh. Clueless me.

Remember when sails used to be white? The hulls, masts and now sails are all made from carbon fiber. No more wooden ships and iron men. Fiber boats and coddled sailors.

Reminds me I get to get to work to get my boat in the water.

Presently at our villa on Point Milou as the fleet gybes around the leeward mark just off St. Jean. A few from the smaller class until the R88 came tearing through and waterlined the fleet.

Hot on their heels are the catamarans, led by the B53 absolutely screaming off the wind and then what looked to be the Outremer but difficult to tell from this distance.

S/Y Genevieve relocated here and anchored just in front of Hotel Christopher about a half hour before the fleet arrived. Perfect location to view the action.

I’ll try to get some pics up but won’t be as good as Eddy’s.

Also have some photos from Tuesday when we sailed around the island on a Lagoon 450. Left the harbor with the fleet as they warmed up, sailed right past them off Flamands, then ended up being the closest boat to the R88 as they crossed the finish line as we were tacking back into Gustavia.

Such a fun week to enjoy the island for anyone who loves to sail (and everyone else really).

Correction: think it was the Gunboat Mach Schnell after the B53.

Arrived at Cheval Blanc just in time to see the R88 pass by again going back to windward. They must have a race mark really close to St. Martin. Fun course today. Much lighter wind and less swell than earlier in the week. Presumably they are headed back around to the windward side of the island over the next hour or two.