SHUGGIE BAIN by Douglas Stuart

amyb

Senior Insider
In a Zoom call with my sorority sisters, a new book coming out by Douglas Stuart was mentioned. Many recommended his previous well touted heartbreaking story, SHUGGIE BAIN. It touches so many issues like coming of age, discovering sexuality, loneliness, alcoholism and complicated FAMILY life set in the dreary public housing of Glasgow, Scotland.

Beautiful descriptive writing, I could see it all come to life as I read. I will be thinking about this troubled lad and counting my blessings for many days to come.

You bring so much to life, Amy, in describing your reading life! As “retirement” looms for me, I hope to be able be able to find a cozy reading spot & follow in your path!

Dennis, I share with you this quote from Mortimer J. Adler, American Philosopher and educator

IN THE CASE OF GOOD BOOKS, THE POINT IS NOT TO SEE HOW MANY OF THEM YOU CAN GET THROUGH, BUT RATHER HOW MANY CAN GET THROUGH TO YOU.

MikeR gifted me with a plaque that hangs in my home library. (It is a saying of our Founding Father, Thomas Jefferson.) It reads I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT BOOKS. And that about sums up my joy in reading.

Dennis, I share with you this quote from Mortimer J. Adler, American Philosopher and educator

IN THE CASE OF GOOD BOOKS, THE POINT IS NOT TO SEE HOW MANY OF THEM YOU CAN GET THROUGH, BUT RATHER HOW MANY CAN GET THROUGH TO YOU.

MikeR gifted me with a plaque that hangs in my home library. (It is a saying of our Founding Father, Thomas Jefferson.) It reads I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT BOOKS. And that about sums up my joy in reading.

A fitting epithet, Amy!