Looking for advice on connection timing

bkeats

Senior Insider
Hi folks. Would like to get feedback on how little time I could get away with on a connection. We are planning our first trip back since the pandemic started. Villa has been booked along with flights from JFK to SXM. The return connection is all set, but I'm pondering on what to do on the flight down.

We are arriving on a Delta flight that gets in at 12:25 on May 28. I like to fly over on SBC, but they have no available seats that day as SBC are apparently running only one flight that day. I already asked if there might be flights added but was told that due to holidays scheduled for pilots, that one flight is it.

Leaves me with Winair. There is a flight leaving at 1:30 for SBH. Next one that we could take is 3:50. I'm very eager to get back and thinking about taking the 1:30 even though that gives us barely over an hour for the connection. But that would give me time to get to the villa, change, grab a beer and hit the beach.

Even though we are coming for two weeks, I think we can pack so that we have only carry on bags. We are flying first and I have already booked the seats closest to the to exit so I expect we will be among the first off the plane.

So should I take the 1:30 or go for the later flight? If I book the earlier flight and miss the connection, would it be an option to then take a later Winair flight?

Book the later and pray for the earlier.

Yes to what Dennis just wrote.At least if you have the last flight, you can be pretty sure you arrive on your one travel day as planned. You have many more swim days ahead of you.

From what I hear on the forum, Premium IV is the way to go....
Absolutely with a short connection and especially since it is a Saturday. I’d email Vincent and see what he thinks about you booking the earlier flight if you use his service.

In that direction, one hour between flights should work. Especially with the seats near the exit and carry-ons. However, P IV or not, if Delta is delayed, there is always a risk of missing the connection. At least, in the month of May, there is no deicing delays (our Canadian friends will know what I'm talking about).

Is the Winair ticket modifiable on short notice?

As Google is saying, hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button and hope for the best. I would personally chance the 1:30 pm.

In that direction, one hour between flights should work. Especially with the seats near the exit and carry-ons. However, P IV or not, if Delta is delayed, there is always a risk of missing the connection. At least, in the month of May, there is no deicing delays (our Canadian friends will know what I'm talking about).

Is the Winair ticket modifiable on short notice?

As Google is saying, hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button and hope for the best. I would personally chance the 1:30 pm.
Are they still busing to the terminal? If so near the exit wouldn’t matter.

Yes they are bussing from remote stands. If parked closer to the building entrance (east side), passengers will walk from the airplane to the arrival terminal.

The first passengers deplaning will be in the first bus. Saving time. Hint: once inside the bus, stay close to the front door! You'll be the first one off.

Absolutely with a short connection and especially since it is a Saturday. I’d email Vincent and see what he thinks about you booking the earlier flight if you use his service.

I know what Vincent will say - no less than 2 hours between flights, even if you hire him. But if you hire his company and arrive early enough he can try to put you on the earlier flight, which is more diff to accomplish on your own.

I know what Vincent will say - no less than 2 hours between flights, even if you hire him. But if you hire his company and arrive early enough he can try to put you on the earlier flight, which is more diff to accomplish on your own.

Recommended transit times are as follows:

To St Barth (int'l to local): 1 hour between flights
From St Barth (local to int'l): 2 hours between flights

Recommended transit times are as follows:

To St Barth (int'l to local): 1 hour between flights
From St Barth (local to int'l): 2 hours between flights

It is very risky especially now to have one hour on the way down to SBH. Our AA flight for instance was delayed by 1hr 45mins. And delays are frequent now with spring weather. That 1 hour is good if everything is going exactly as scheduled. Good luck with that.

With a delay of 1 hour and 45 minutes, 2 hours between flights wouldn't work either.

Stats show that 1 hour works just fine, but there are exceptions to the rule (as always).