Upper west side or Theater District restaurants

Cwater

Senior Insider
Greetings St. Barth friends. We live in Long Island however have not dined in the city until recently due to the pandemic. A friend is visiting us from Denver in May. Any resto recommendations Theater district or upper west side? Thanks and see you on the beach

I have no idea what dining establishments survived. But a real NY Experience is cocktails at the Algonquin Hotel on 44th…old charm and the house cat might still be hanging out at the registration desk. I have enjoyed good not fancy food at the Rose Room there…salmon with a creamy Dijon mustard sauce comes to mind. Thoughts of the banter and chatter at the famed Round Table there added for my visits the magical legends of its literary past.

Something off the beaten path and unique. (Same block as Sardi’s.)A bonus, Leaving the hotel, the doorman could always whistle for a taxi if needed due to inclement weather.

Nearby to the Algonquin, which I also enjoy for cocktails, is Cafe Un Deux Trois at 44 West 44th Street . . . a casual, reasonably priced, American version of a French bistro. Owners Gerard & George opened 45 years ago. I was there at the opening and for many years thereafter as my office was around the corner.

We really like Robert restaurant located on Columbus Circle: "New American fare & city views in an arty space on the top-floor of the Museum of Arts & Design." We also like Lincoln Ristorante at Lincoln Center "Glass-walled dining room at Lincoln Center preparing upscale Italian fare in an open kitchen." Lincoln was closed during much of the pandemic but it has re-opened, closed on Sundays though.

The finest restaurant on the Upper West Side is the Leopard at des Artistes on 67th St near Central Park West. Two others also favored by locals are Pomodoro Rosso on Columbus Ave. near 70th and Pappardella on Columbus and 75th st.