The Billionairs Clash Over the Future in a Caribbean Eden

https://dnyuz.com/2022/03/02/billionaires-clash-over-the-future-in-a-caribbean-eden/

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 11.10.48 AM.jpg

The author reached out to several forum members, but apparently their quotes were not noteworthy :D

The author reached out to several forum members, but apparently their quotes were not noteworthy :D

clearly. and the only quibble I have with her article is that St Barth was electrified before the 1980s. Not the entire island perhaps, but certainly the hotels and most of Gustavia had power as of the 70s. It is also too easy to qualify the island as a playground for billionaires, but I guess that's the reputation it has now...

I'll be honest that this article and - more to the point- the actual reality of it makes me sad. But I'll also be honest that the "Bucket" (and its billionaires) has for years been such a turn off for me. I only was on island a couple of times during the Bucket but watching a bunch of corporate owned mega yachts sail around the island just seemed so far from the St. Barts I once loved (and why I loved it). The vibe was very much not my scene (YMMV). I also remember Franck from Wall House opining how "great" the Bucket and the wealthy Russians were for St. Barths. That probably was an ominous sign of where things were going. But certainly not my place to pull up drawbridges but I cannot pretend that the island is the same place I feel in love with many years ago.

After almost 40 years of coming to the island no big money will spoil our stay... we know where to go and enjoy

After almost 40 years of coming to the island no big money will spoil our stay... we know where to go and enjoy
+ 1 as well. What attracted Cheryl and & I to our favorite place has not changed. Once we step onto the tarmac the cares of the world fade away. We know that for the next 2 weeks what matters is not as important as what matters.

+ 1 as well. What attracted Cheryl and & I to our favorite place has not changed. Once we step onto the tarmac the cares of the world fade away. We know that for the next 2 weeks what matters is not as important as what matters.

So well put…Phil has always had instant peace after the wheels touch down and before he deplanes.

We can agree-no other place like St Barths...we are the luckiest bunch of visitors in the world

From the article:

The court ruled that a company headed by the American hotelier Denise Dupré must stop construction of her second luxury hotel on the island, and refill a football field-size hole, intended for an underground parking garage, on a popular but environmentally precarious beach.

The ruling might signal a turning point in the hyper-development of this tropical Arcadia for the rich. The deconstruction alone will cost the developer what some parties involved estimate to be at least 50 million euros (about $57 million). The company won’t divulge the actual cost of the proposed project.

Are they filling the hole with gold?!?!

Did the Trump organization provide this estimate for the cost!?!?!?

From the article:

The court ruled that a company headed by the American hotelier Denise Dupré must stop construction of her second luxury hotel on the island, and refill a football field-size hole, intended for an underground parking garage, on a popular but environmentally precarious beach.

The ruling might signal a turning point in the hyper-development of this tropical Arcadia for the rich. The deconstruction alone will cost the developer what some parties involved estimate to be at least 50 million euros (about $57 million). The company won’t divulge the actual cost of the proposed project.

Are they filling the hole with gold?!?!

Did the Trump organization provide this estimate for the cost!?!?!?
The problem is that the sand/dirt removed from the hole is gone. They will have to scavenger hunt to fill it with heavy equipment used around the island. $57 million is a little high tho.
But filling it way harder here than digging it out.