New SXM Entry Requirements as of March 1, 2022

KevinS

Senior Insider
As of March 1, 2022, Sint Maarten (SXM) has again updated its entry requirements for COVID Vaccination and testing.

The updated requirements can be found at https://stmaartenehas.com/travel-requirements/

I'll add what I think the key points are, but keep in mid that SXM makes occasional tweaks to its requirements, and what is in the link above is more accurate than what I think it says.

• The apparent removal of the requirement for a Booster will make transiting SXM easier for some, especially for children too young to receive a Booster. I find the requirements for those who have recently recovered from COVID to be a bit muddy.

• SXM's Electronic Health Authorization System (EHAS) pre-approval is still required for all passengers arriving by air, and for all passengers arriving in Philipsburg by Ferry from St Barth (and other islands).

• Definition of Fully Vaccinated (as copied from the SXM Travel Requirements webpage. Note that there is mention elsewhere of a Booster, but Boosters are not listed in the definition of Fully Vaccinated):

1. You are considered fully vaccinated with an accepted vaccine :
    • 2 weeks after the second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer, Moderna, Astrazeneca, Sinopharm, Sinovac/Coronavac and Covishield vaccines, or
    • 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson/Janssen vaccine, or
    • 2 weeks after the second dose in a 2-dose series combination of a single dose Pfizer or Moderna with a single dose Astra Zeneca, or
    • 2 weeks after a single-dose of vaccine after a confirmed COVID-19 infection within 6 months before the vaccination (to be stated on proof of vaccination in absence of a digital COVID-19 infection certificate).
    • the accepted Covid-19 vaccines are: Comirnaty (Pfizer), Spikevax (Moderna), Vaxzevria (Astrazeneca), Johnson & Johnson/Janssen, Covishield (Astrazeneca), Sinopharm and Sinovac/CoronaVac.

• The image below, taken from the requirements page, shows the testing requirements for both Vaccinated and Unvaccinated travelers/

SXM Entry Requirements 20220301.jpg

Sorry this wasn't set before Maryella took the journey. Me thinks she would have been fine without the booster?

For those who still require testing to travel to or through SXM, the "at home" reference still is not clear, relative to the eMed Binax administration. The eMed report has all of the requested info - lab name, test subject's name, type of test, name of antigen test, sample data, source of the swab, rest date and negative result. Store bought "at home" tests offer none of that, as we know.

Sadly, I think i may be the luck of the (reviewer) draw, which sounds a but risky IMHO.

Kevin, thank you for your post. I have read the EHAS information, but it is still confusing. The chart that you posted seems to indicate that there is no test required is you have been fully vaccinated (or vaccinated and boosted). Does this mean that if I fill out the EHAS form and provide proof of vaccination, that is all I have to do to gain admittance to St Marten and St Barts?

Maddy, you are correct that according to the chart, no test is required for Sint Maarten if you are fully vaxed by their criteria. You’ll still need to test for St Barth though. Either an Antigen or rt-PCR test is currently acceptable, taken no more than 48 hours before the departure time of your SXM-SBH flight.

On your return, you’ll still have to do another EHAS form for SXM. You’ll also need a 2-day (slightly easier than 48-hour) rt-PCR or Antigen test for the US, plus an Attestation form.

Today the US government also released a 100 page plan for dealing with COVID going forward. I searched for, but could not find an end to the return test. Travel associations of every stripe are lobbying for the end of testing and travel masking, but nothing in the books yet.

John, your and Kevin’s efforts to keep us up to date are really appreciated.thank you guys for staying on top of the rules for coming and going to our happy place.

I just want to shout ENOUGH ALREADY and get settled and make plans for travel easier again.

Thanks, Kevin.Your reply confirmed what I thought it said, but it's confusing nevertheless. Now we can make final plans with a degree of confidence. It is crazy for adjacent islands to have such different requirements.
We have postponed our trip to St Barts twice, and we are really looking forward to our visit later this month.

Thanks, Kevin.Your reply confirmed what I thought it said, but it's confusing nevertheless. Now we can make final plans with a degree of confidence. It is crazy for adjacent islands to have such different requirements.
We have postponed our trip to St Barts twice, and we are really looking forward to our visit later this month.

Different countries even on the same island!

Thanks for the update! I was about to tell my kids that they can cancel their covid tests as Sxm doesn’t require them any more. But oops forgot that sbh still does. Too much sun!

Kevin- Forgive me for being a little off the subject of SXM transiting. With respect to your statement from above:
"You’ll still need to test for St Barth though. Either an Antigen or rt-PCR test is currently acceptable, taken no more than 48 hours before the departure time of your SXM-SBH flight."

Does this 48 hr rule hold true if one is transiting thru SJU to SBH? I remember it as being 2 days prior last July when we were there, same routing.
We leave in early April.
TIA.

You are correct Kevin. Answer from Tradewinds, to whom it may concern.

"Good afternoon Dr. Lind,
At the moment, requirement for entry to St. Barth’s is proof of vaccine and a negative PCR or antigen test within 48 hours of the Tradewind departure.

As of Tuesday, January 18th, 2022, the government of St Barths will accept a negative PCR or antigen tests taken within 48 hours before the departure flight to St Barths.
For example, if your flight to St Barths departs at 1:00pm on Wednesday, your negative test would need to be collected at 1:00pm or after on the previous Monday.

Conversely, on the return from St. Barth’s, you will need a negative PCR or antigen test within 1-calendar day.
All passengers aged 2 or older, regardless of vaccination status or citizenship, are required to present a negative PCR or antigen test taken within 1 calendar day of their flight."

In my experience, what rules at the end of the day is the Airline rules, which is their informed understanding of the Country rules. The Country requires the Airline to check passengers and to abide by the Country rules, and to deport arriving passengers who do not conform with the Country rules on the next flight out (even if it is a full flight). Airlines therefor have an incentive not to screw up. If you're good by Tradewind's opinion then you have a 99.99% chance that you're good by SBH's opinion. I think that TW is now at 48 Hours for testing. On our next trip we'll be overnighting in SJU, so I have to check the SJU rules too.

Here is a link to what TW says for passengers transiting through SJU:

https://www.flytradewind.com/travel-advisories/

WHAT IF: you submit the EHAS form to SXM and an approval is not returned but you know you have met all the requirements????? I submitted a form several hours ago, no response yet.

WHAT IF: you submit the EHAS form to SXM and an approval is not returned but you know you have met all the requirements????? I submitted a form several hours ago, no response yet.

Got it. Odd that my approval was issued within an hour. Adria's took almost 8 hours. Both submitted within minutes of each other.

I think E-med only does antigen tests. If you need a test for SXM, it has to be a PCR. See red strip above.